Status: Active

My Imagination's Much Worse

would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile?

As I stepped off the L train, I was hit in the face with the cold October breeze that came to Chicago every year. I pulled my hoodie closer to my body, regretting not grabbing my scarf before I left for class. Real smart, Lauren.

I quickly made my way out off the crowded platform as I took the steps down to the Belmont to make the short walk to Pick Me Up Cafe to grab a bite to eat and start studying for a test in my Music Publishing class.

As I walked into the small cafe, I made my way into the secluded corner with the biggest table to lay out all my notes. About an hour into my study session, six guys walked in, sitting across the restaurant from me. I couldn't help but notice them since they were being rather loud, and one of them was extremly good looking. I studied the boy for a few seconds until he glanced at me, making me go back to studying my notes.

After about 10 minutes, I decided it was time to pack up and head back to my apartment. As I started back down the street to start the 5 block walk to my apartment, a voice called out after me.

"Hey! Wait up!" He yelled.

I stopped and turned around to see the boy I had studied running up to me. "Yeah?" I asked confused as to why he was following me.

"I just wanted to say hi," he said awkwardly.

"Um.. hi?" I chuckled.

"Sorry, this was awkward," He said shaking his head, "I shouldn't have done this."

"No, don't worry about it."

"Okay. Well, I'll see you around?"

"Yeah," I said, giving him a small smile.

He flashed me a hopeful smile as he turned around to walk back to Pick Me Up.

---

A week passed until I saw the stuttering boy again. I was at some basement show with a lineup no one knew about or car about; except for one band. They were the second to last band to perform. When the four boys took the stage, I recognized all of them from the cafe, including the one that chased me down the street.

Their set was only 4 songs. They sounded pretty decent for being in a small basement with a bunch of kids yelling over the amps. I mainly kept my focus on the Boy. After their set, most of the crowd cleared out and moved up to the party that was upstairs.

I talked to a few kids from school before I was finally greeted by the Boy.

"Hey," he said to me as he leaned against the wall I was standing by.

"Hey," I smiled in response.

"I never got your name the other day.."

"Lauren."

"I'm Pete, nice to meet you. I'm sorry if I creeped you out last week."

"You didn't, don't worry," I laughed.

"It's just.. when I saw you, I knew I had to meet you."

"Yeah?" I asked a bit taken back.

He nodded and smiled, "yeah."

Pete and I continued talking 'til around 1 am when one of his band members walked up to us, asking if we wanted to join others at Pick Me Up. We agreed and went with about 6 others. It was fun meeting all these new people and having a good time. After we were finished eating and hanging out, we all decided to call it a night.

"Let me walk you home," Pete said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder to keep me warm on the cold October night.

"Sure," I smiled, breathing in his scent.

When we reached my apartment 5 blocks away, Pete laughed to himself.

"What?" I asked, turning to look at him.

"I seriously live 3 blocks from you and we hang out at some of the same places. I'm just surprised we've never met until last week."

I laughed and looked down at my feet and back up at him. "Well it was about time we met."
♠ ♠ ♠
Nothing much since it's the first chapter. Be sure to comment and subscribe<3
Just a head's up, the story begins around fall/winter 2001.