Diablo:The Beginning of new Anguish

Chapter 3 Hope

The screams of the dieing faded into the distance. The demons were moving on to the outer villages and roads destroying everything in there path.

After miles of running I stopped gasped for air, I can run a very long time without stopping but I have not ran this far and this long in years. I leaned against a tree my mind focusing on the voice that told me to run.

The voice puzzled me, was it an angel? Or was it some other mysterious force. I heard rumors that there was an angel who was fond of the world we live in. Tyrael I believe was his name was if I heard the stories correctly. I shook my head confused and hoping someday I'll find answers to the questions I have.

As I looked down I noticed a drop of blood come from above me. I touched my face but I did not have any cuts just dry blood from the robed figure that exploded.

I quickly dove out of the way as a demon landed where I once stood. I turned around to see the blood originated from the gaping hole in its head where my arrow had struck earlier.

The demon crawled on all fours toward me squealing in evil delight as I lay there staring at it. Something about its eyes seem to capture my attention, I could not look away from it.

As it neared it seemed to foam at the mouth it was hungry and had an easy prey. As it drooled uncontrollably some of it landed on my leg, I cried out in pain as the skin on my leg slowly started to burn.

Looking away from its eyes I came to my senses, I kicked the demon as hard as I could in the face, and crawled away quickly standing up and grabbing my bow.

The demon was furious as it charged at me again, seeming to scream as loud as it could.

I grabbed an arrow and stabbed it in the eye as it jumped at me. It let out a howl and fell to the ground where it bit into my leg furiously.

Screaming I grabbed an arrow and stabbed it into the other eye blinding the demon. I tried to pull my leg away from the demon but it held tight and I fell over. I swore and grabbed the demon by the neck and tried to break it.

The pain was unbearable my head was pounding and the demon would not let up, I grabbed another arrow and stabbed it into the hole where my other arrow use to reside. I pushed with all my strength until the tip came out the other side of its head.

The demon let go shuddered on the ground and lay still. Not taking another risk I grabbed my knife around my belt, cursing myself for not thinking about it when I needed it most, and started cutting the demons head off.

Bones crunched and broke making sounds I never thought I would hear in my life, but ripping its head off was not satisfying enough. I stabbed the demon in the stomach and cut out its innards.

My temper was boiling and my leg hurt like hell. After a while of making the demon unrecognizable I finally took a breath and calmed down and examined my leg.

It was in tact but if not treated would probably have to be amputated. I was not going to let that happen to me now. I reached into my satchel around my waist and pulled out a bottle containing a special red liquid. The taste was terrible but the pain in my leg started to subside.

I stared at my leg at a complete loss of what to do. It would eventually get infected and would have to come off.

Tears streamed down my face as the realization struck me that I would die like this. Either a demon would come to find an easy prey or the infection would set in and I would die that way.

I stared at my blade wondering if I should just end it now and deny the demons there joy.

"Heal yourself."

Laughing I said. “How the hell am I supposed to do that? I am no sorcerer.”

"But you do wield the power to heal yourself."

“Who the hell are you! What the hell do you know about me! Get out of my head.” I screamed frustrated.

"You can heal yourself. Just use your mind and will it to happen, like you will your arrows to slay your enemies."

I put a hand over my leg wanting the voices to go away, I could tell I was loosing whatever was left of my sanity. I closed my eyes and focused on my leg and willed it to heal.

After a moment of sitting there not feeling anything I opened my eyes and stared up at the sky. It was almost midday. My stomach rumbled a little and I thought to myself how could I be hungry at a time like this?

Realization struck me, I was not in pain anymore I looked down at my leg and to my amazement it was completely healed. I jumped up and down on my leg and it was as if it was completely brand new.

Knowing I was not completely insane anymore I let myself smile. “Thank you.” I said aloud. I turned toward east and decided I would try and make it to the town of Tristram before the days end.

As I headed east through the forest I noticed something that was not present before, there seemed to be a buzz of wildlife in this part of the forest. I stopped and studied my surroundings. Perhaps the demons have not made it this far yet, if that was the case then why did they stop? I decided to head toward the main road.

I was cautious approaching I was positive the demons were taking the main roads, it was the quickest way to travel if you did not know where you were going.

As I stepped out of the forest onto the main road I felt something strange, like something strange was present but was never there before.

Continuing along the path of the road in the distance I noticed a strange structure. As I neared to my surprise the walls seemed to be made of marble and it was surrounded by statues of cloaked creatures with fiery wings.

"Do not be frightened, please approach."

I walked up to the structures wall and a pathway suddenly appeared before me leading me inside. Everything was made of crystals and and diamond, the floor composed of the most intricate of marble mosaics, with patterns that made no sense to me but were utterly beautiful and I found it hard to tear my eyes away.

Four robbed figures stood around a fountain that was also made of crystal and it radiated a brilliant white light that seemed to come from the center.

"Come."

I knew then that it was these robbed figures that were communicating with me before. I found it difficult but eventually I came toward them.

“What is this place?” I asked absolutely amazed at how such a place could exist.

"It is a peace of heaven."

“I don't understand.” I said looking around at the statues. It was probably a trick of the eye but when I looked at the wings of the statues they seemed to move like fire.

"What we are about to tell you will change your entire view about the world you live in and a whole new perspective on both demons and angels. Are you sure you are ready for what you are about to hear?"

I stared at them a little unsure after a moments hesitation and looking around at the place again I nodded my head.

All four of them seemed to speak in my head at unison.

"Nearly three thousand years ago there was a time when angels had not yet discovered your world. Only a few mortals knew the world as Sanctuary, a term given by the renegade angels and demons that came together to inhabit and shape this world into what it is you see today.

The idea that our war between hell was foolish came to an angel, his name was Inarius. He along with a demon known as Lilith came together, Inarius lead a great exodus, they founded Sanctuary a refugee from our war.

To shield this world from the eyes of the rest of us the Worldstone was created. Its power was used to shield this world from our view.

The angels and demons that came to refuge here in this world and mated with each other and created the first generation of Nephalem.

Inarius was fearful of the power of the Nephalam and so he used the Worldstone to diminish there powers, over time they became mere mortals such as yourself and the people around you.

Eventually as you can tell the powers of hell and the three Prime Evils Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal discovered this world before we did.

There was much that took place between then and now. We unfortunately don't have enough time to answer all of your questions."

I stared at them dumbfounded trying to take in all the information that was just revealed to me. “So...Am I part demon?” I asked

"And part angel, yes."

“I don't understand.”

"There is much you will not understand. The demon army approaches us, we will fight them together."

“Do you really believe we can beat them?” I asked.

"The odds are against us, we will make sure you survive. You must travel east to Lut Gholein where other heroes such as yourself will be waiting. You will know each other when you all meet, we have told them the same thing we told you."

“I want to fight with you.” I told them.

"If that is your wish you shall, until the fate of the battle is decided. If we are loosing then you must leave quickly."

I stared not expecting them to let me battle with them. “It will be an honor to fight by your side.” I finally mustered up the courage and said.

"No, the honor is ours."