Just Like Jack and Rose

Whoa-oh, I'm feeling you baby. Don't be afraid to jump then fall.

Reaching up quickly Claire brushed away the stray blonde hairs from her lip gloss that the wind had slapped against her face. The velocity of the wind barely took the edge off the scorching heat of the summer sun. Staring out at the edge of the cliff a nervous shiver racked through her petite body. A moment after the visible shiver had passed Cameron laced his hand tightly with Claire’s. A soft smile curved up on her painted lips while she squeezed his hand. Cameron’s shaggy brown hair tickled her face as he leaned in to whisper, “You jump, I jump.”

A loud giggle left Claire’s lips as she darted towards the edge of the cliff tugging with her. Without an ounce of hesitation she leapt from the cliff with Cameron by her side. The couple felt as if they were flying as they fell at a ridiculously fast pace. With their eyes squeezed shut their bathing suit clad bodies dropped into the water with a massive splash.

Cameron surfaced from the water first and wiped his face clear of the droplets falling from his hair. A goofy smile formed the second he watched Claire pop up from the water with a gasp of air. A joyful laugh was the first thing he heard as she stared up him with a look that made his stomach jump. They both kicked their feet to stay afloat and a silence fell over them as they stared into each other’s eyes.

“I love you,” Cameron whispered so quietly the sound of the waves almost covered his voice completely.

Claire gasped stared at him for a moment before parting her lips slightly. “I love you, too.”
The second the words left Claire’s lips a knot formed in Cam’s stomach.

What have I done, he thought to himself.