‹ Prequel: Change
Status: Active

Here We Go Again

eleven

I looked up with a smile as Taylor and Jordan walked in. They beamed back, and Jordan rushed over to give me a high five. I giggled as he yelled, "Yeah baby!" before disappearing into his room.

I laughed and looked over at Taylor, who shook his head with a grin as he sat down on the couch beside me.

"Good job."

Taylor looked over at me and smiled. "Thanks. Always good beating Calgary."

I laughed and nodded. "I can tell... Makes sense though."

Taylor nodded. "Yeah. With a playoff spot on the line for both teams, it's awesome. They were two points ahead tonight and now..." He trailed off, and I watched him, waiting for him to continue. "...And you don't care," he finished with a laugh.

I was silent for a moment. Of course I cared. "I love hearing you talk about hockey," I replied softly a moment later, my eyes on my hands in my lap. "You're so passionate about it." I felt Taylor's eyes on me before he turned and faced the tv. It was quiet for a few seconds before he spoke again. 

"What are we watching?"

***

Taylor and I sat for a while watching re-runs of Friends. Taylor was silent, and I wondered what was going through his head. 

We were about halfway through the second episode when Taylor piped up, "How are things with your parents?"

The wariness in his voice made me realize he hadn't been sure if he should have asked. I wondered if that was what he had been thinking about while we were sitting in silence.

I inhaled a long breath of air before letting it out noisily. "Fine, I guess. Ever since I told them exactly how I felt on the university matter, they dropped it. But I know they miss me..." I fiddled with a loose thread on my pajamas. "That's what sucks about it."

Taylor seemed relieved that I had answered with more than one word. He nodded. "Things still good at school?"

I couldn't help but glance over at him, a tiny smile building on my lips. He was trying.

"Yeah, I still love school," I replied. I rested my head against the couch and continued, "Thankful for the break, though." 

Taylor nodded. "I bet."

I looked at him again. "It must suck not having a break."

Taylor shrugged. "It does." He paused, running a hand through his hair. I watched as he sighed, scratching the side of his jaw, "Unfortunately, there are a lot of sacrifices that had to be made for this job." He met my eyes, and I felt a lump forming in my throat. I looked away and swallowed.

"Well," I said as I stood up hastily. "I'll get out of your way now." I laughed awkwardly and Taylor nodded. I was just past the kitchen when I heard him call out.

"Night, Ronnie."

I bit my lip before replying softly, "Goodnight, Taylor." 

***

"I'll be back Wednesday," Taylor said for what seemed like the millionth time. I laughed and nodded.

"I know. Go, you'll be late."

Taylor stood by the door, suitcase in hand. He was in his suit and had pulled on an Oilers toque. Tiny blond hairs were sticking out from underneath it. His eyes searched mine, his face concerned. "You sure you're going to be okay?"

I gave him a look and crossed my arms. "Yes," I said. "Now go. Jordan's waiting in the car, remember?" Taylor nodded. He looked down at his suitcase and bit his lip - something that he always did when he was worried - and my stomach flipped. "I'll be fine," I said gently. He glanced back up at me with an unconvincing smile. I gave him a reassuring one in return. He heaved a sigh before turning and walking out the door. Once he was in the hall, he turned back to me, and I made a shooing motion, giving him one last smile before closing the apartment door. 

***

Three days in Edmonton by myself. What to do, what to do...

Taylor had informed me that there was a grocery store right down the street from the apartment building, as well as some restaurants and a corner store. Nearly everything I needed was in reach. 

I decided to spend my first day alone walking around and seeing all the commodities. I picked up some things at the grocery store, and after a few hours of walking around, I made my way back to Taylor and Jordan's apartment. 

I watched the Oilers play that night, seated on the couch eating popcorn. They beat the Canadiens 4-3 in a shootout. Taylor scored once in regulation, and again in the shootout. As the camera zoomed in on his grinning face, I felt my stomach begin to flip. I sighed, and decided to try and sleep.

***

The next day, I knew the team had a day off in Ottawa. Taylor had promised he would call.

My phone rang around 12:00 in the afternoon, and I woke up with a start. When I registered what was happening, I began a frantic search for my phone. I found it moments later, hidden in the sheets, and picked it up quickly.

"Hello?"

I heard a chuckle on the other end. "Morning?"

I looked over at the clock on the dresser. Oops.

"Shut up," I retorted lamely. "I'm on vacation, I'll sleep as late as I want."

"Fair enough." Taylor paused, and I heard some voices in the background. "How are things there?"

"Good."

"Just good?"

I felt the corner of my lip turn up. "Everything's fine, Taylor."

"Okay. I'll be back before you know it," he assured me.

"I know," came my soft reply. "Kick some butt tomorrow."

***

I smiled as the team congratulated one another on the tv screen. They had beaten Ottawa in a close game. The final score was 5-4, the winning goal coming from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins with just two minutes left in the third. Taylor hadn't scored, but he had assisted on both goals scored by Jordan. 

As the screen switched from the arena to the commentators in studio, I lay down on the couch with a yawn. 

Successful road trip - check.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to all who commented and all who read <3

Sorry updates are slow. Next update should be pretty quick though!