‹ Prequel: Change
Status: Active

Here We Go Again

eight

I followed behind Taylor in the airport, my bag trailing behind me. As we passed through the crowd, I noticed Taylor stop every so often to make sure he hadn't lost me. 

We exited through the sliding doors and I felt a chill rush through me instantly. I shivered, hugging my jacket closer to myself. I had known Edmonton was cold, but not this cold...

I hardly noticed Taylor texting beside me, and I didn't notice a car pull up in front us until I heard Taylor calling my name.

I looked up and met his eyes for a fleeting moment before looking to where he was gesturing for me to go. My gaze rested on the man who had gotten out of the car and was now heading towards me.

"Hey, man," the guy spoke. I watched the two interact, giving a handshake before a man-hug. When they both turned to me, I immediately grew nervous.

"Ebs, this is Ronnie," Taylor introduced. I noticed the mans eyebrows raise, but he quickly covered it up with a smile. "Ronnie, this is Jordan Eberle. He's my-"

"I know who he is," I said quietly. Jordan smiled and extended his hand.

"Hi, Ronnie." We shook hands and Jordan turned to Taylor with a raised eyebrow. "So, uh..."

"Sorry to spring this on you last minute," Taylor apologized. 

Jordan shook his head with an amused grin. "No, no. No worries." He turned to me. "But I can't promise remembering to wear pants around the house." His grin grew wider as Taylor decked his friend on the shoulder.

***

I followed behind the two boys through the door and into their apartment. It was a nice place, I immediately decided. It was messy, but that was to be expected. 

I was looking around, standing by the door, when I heard Taylor say, "Veronica?" That was so weird. I looked over at him, ignoring the tug on my heartstrings that happened again - as it had every time our eyes met - and raising my eyebrows questioningly. "I'll show you your room."

I followed Taylor down the hall and through a door on the right. I immediately knew the room was Taylor's.

It smelled like him, and his clothes was in the closet. His watches and personal belongings were on the dresser, but otherwise the room was clean. 

I turned to Taylor. "No way."

He looked surprised for a moment, and then hurt. "I gave you new sheets, and-"

I shook my head, immediately cutting him off. "I just don't want to take your room."

Taylor smiled a bit, shaking his head. "We don't have a guest bedroom, and you're not sleeping on the couch."

"Neither are you!" I exclaimed. I knew that Taylor could fall asleep comfortably anywhere, but I still felt horrible. "Taylor, no," I said softly.

Taylor shook his head, setting down my suitcase. "I'm going to order dinner. Chinese okay?"

I frowned at his change of topic. "Taylor-"

"I'll take that as a yes." He gave me a smile before heading out of the room.

I sighed, looking around the room. I cautiously approached the bed, sitting on the end of it. I stared down at my suitcase for a moment before falling back on the bed. This whole thing was insane.

But the bed was comfortable.

Extremely comfortable.

***

I sat in the armchair, a plate of Chinese food in my hand as I absentmindedly watched Sportsnet and listened to the two men talk about a baseball game. I didn't really know anything about baseball, but hearing the two talk along with the hum of the television and my sleepy state made me feel relaxed. 

I finally convinced myself to move and slowly pushed myself off of the chair, plate in hand. The two men immediately stopped conversing and turned to me.

"I'm gonna go get a shower, and then I'm going to bed," I explained. The two of them nodded, and I headed into the kitchen to put away my plate.

As I stood in the shower a few moments later, all I could think about was whether or not this whole thing had been a mistake. I sighed. Sleep it off, I told myself. I grabbed my shampoo bottle and focused on washing my hair.

Once I finished in the shower, I pulled on my pajamas and tank top and headed into the hall. I noticed Jordan and Taylor weren't in the living room anymore, and I glanced at the clock. It was 10:00, and I knew that they had an early morning practice, so it made sense that they had headed off to bed. 

I failed to remember that Taylor had said he was going to sleep on the couch, and that he should have been in the living room when I had looked. And so when I stepped into his room, removing the towel from my hair and shaking it out, I couldn't help but let out a squeal when I realized Taylor was standing beside his closet, shirtless.

As soon as the noise left my mouth, I lifted up a hand to cover it, the other hand clutching my hair towel. Taylor had turned to me, and his hands were up defensively. 

"I was just getting a shirt," he said, almost apologetically.

I lowered my hand and placed it over my heart. I shook my head and replied, "You just scared me, that's all."

Taylor nodded, looking away from me and ahead at his closet. He reached forward and grabbed a shirt, and I watched - stomach going wild - as he slipped it on. 

I stood by the door awkwardly, my back against the door frame. Taylor headed over to me, and I looked down, expecting him just to pass by. But he stopped right in front of me, and I looked up nervously.

He searched my eyes, and my breath caught in my throat. He spoke quietly.

"I'm really glad you decided to come."

My hand immediately flew up to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and my eyes left his. The nervous habit he had once told me he thought was adorable. I felt him continue to gaze at me, and all I could do was give him a fleeting glance and a smile before replying softly, "Goodnight, Taylor."
♠ ♠ ♠
Lalala