Don't Make Me Spell It Out For You

Chapter Eleven

ROSELYN’S POV

“Here we are, room, sweet room,” Ladd joked as we threw our stuff on the beds in our hotel room.

“What time is practice?” I asked, changing into my jeans and a Blackhawks sweatshirt.

“Not until seven. It’s only three now. What to do for four hours?” he questioned, walking around our room as if that would provide the answer. “What to do?”

“I know that there are some of the guys downstairs for a Mario Kart competition,” I raised my eyebrow, a smirk planted on my face.

His eyes glowed as soon as I mentioned that it was a competition. “Well, what are we waiting for then? Let’s go Rose! Time’s a wasting!” he grabbed me and literally dragged me all the way down to the private room where we had couches and two televisions set up, some of the guys getting into their positions.

“Look at Hammer,” I whispered to Andrew. “He can talk Swedish and win on this game!”

He evidently heard because he rolled his eyes, laughing at me. “It’s a skill you don’t posses Baby V.”

“Because I only speak English and some French!”

“I’ll teach you Swedish,” he said before going back to his conversation.

“So where do we go?” Andrew asked the boys.

“Group B,” Kaner grinned. “The guys and well girl who can’t play well go there.”

I stood firmly, my hands planted on my hips. “Kaner, then why are you here? You just said that the girl can’t play. Trying to be one of the boys again?”

He rolled his eyes. “Nope. Not falling for your anger lures Baby V.”

“Well then move your fat ass over,” I said and bumped him off the couch. “I will beat you with ease.”

Kaner grinned from the floor, handing me a controller. “Bring it on girlie.”

Five rounds later and I secured my place in Group A while Kaner and Laddie got kicked back to Group B.

“So, who’s next?” I asked.

Brouwer, Toews, and Campbell squished around me and grabbed controllers. “Hey there Baby V,” Campbell smiled. “Get ready to meet the true winners of Mario Kart.”

I was quite happy with the standings. Second place all the way through the championship race. Tazer ended up winning that round, surprisingly enough.

“Good game Johnny,” I told him, grinning. “Way to show everyone who’s Captain.”

“Thanks Baby V. It’s all done with focus and concentration,” he said seriously.

“Or you just wanted to win that badly,” I smiled.

“Or that. That’s always an option.”

Andrew and I walked back to our room for an hour’s rest before we had to get ready for the big game.

“You nervous?” I asked Andrew.

He smiled, looking over at me. “Maybe a little. You?”

“For you guys yeah, but I’m glad it’s Nemo in net and not me. I wouldn’t be able to skate to the net on my own. I would fall down.”

He laughed and held open our door. “Wanna loosen up a little before we go eat?” Andrew asked.

“Sure thing. Gotta change first though. Turn around,” I told him and he spun around with a sigh.

“You’re not getting naked. I don’t see why I have to turn around.”

I slipped into a pair of shorts and a tank top. “Because I change quickly.”

“Still,” he shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. “You are such a guy.”

~~~~~

Game Six in Philly was probably the most stressful game of all. Even I was clenching my fists and I was sitting on the bench.

It was tied by the end of the third period. Whether it was good or bad, I wasn’t quite sure.

We all sat in the locker room, listening to Coach lecturing us. I turned to Nemo who looked very calm. “What’s your secret?” I asked.

He stared at me, confused. “What secret?”

“To staying calm, duh.”

He laughed. “It’s just another game.”

“Good thing you’re calm. I mean I’m freaking out and I’m not even playing! I mean. . . wow.”

I wandered over to Andrew’s stall and leaned against it, watching him concentrate on the wall and take a long drink out of his water bottle. He finally snapped out of his gaze and noticed me. “Hey sweets. Can you believe that this is happening?”

“That we might win the Cup in their city? I think it’s kind of funny, in that messed up way.”

He rolled his eyes, smiling nonetheless. “Only you would think that.”

“All right guys! Time to win it!” Coach hollered and we all filed back onto the ice, no doubt every heart pounding with anxiety and excitement.

“HOLY SHIT!” I jumped up, watching Niemi as he made the biggest save of the game by far. “Nice save man!” I shouted at him after he cleared the puck.

He nodded twice to signal that he heard me. That was our language on the ice. If someone yelled something and we heard it, we nodded twice.

Tazer’s line was out then and I watched as Campbell made a sick pass to Kaner and he faked out one of their forwards. Or maybe be it was one of their defenders. I didn’t know. I didn’t care. All I knew was that it wasn’t Pronger. I really didn’t like him.

I inched forward in my seat as Kaner shot it hard from the left side and then the stadium was dead quiet.

“Holy shit,” I repeated.

“What?!” half the guys shouted.

“It went in!” I screamed, watching as Kaner attacked Nemo, who looked merely confused. Sharp and Andrew weren’t too far behind, but I resisted the urge to leap onto them as well. No one was sure yet.

“No it didn’t. Don’t get too excited,” Tazer skated by, but I could see the excitement in his eyes. He believed it, but being the serious captain he was, he couldn’t let his beliefs be known until it was final.

“Tazer, it went in. Look at Kaner. He knows it went in.”

The ref skated to the middle and he paused, probably for dramatic effect. I hated when they did that.

“After video review, we have come to the conclusion that the goal is. . . good!”

It was like our entire bench erupted. I saw Coach throw his papers down and hug the nearest man to him. Everyone jumped off the bench and I found myself grinning widely as I skated to where everyone was attacking each other.

“Roselyn!” Kris skated up to me, holding me by my shoulders. “Oh my God,” his blue eyes shone. “Can you believe this? This is real!”

“I know!” I laughed. “I know!”

“We did it,” he hugged me close. “I can’t believe this.”

He let me go and I was engulfed by other players and they repeated the same thing that my cousin said.

Finally, I made my way into Andrew’s arms. “I didn’t even think about whether it was a goal or not. I just saw Kaner celebrating and I followed suit. Glad I did,” he chuckled as the Cup was brought it out.

We watched as Tazer literally bounced up and down and as soon as his hands wrapped around the silver piece of heaven, he just exploded with happiness.

Andrew still held me in his arms. “This is so much better than before.”

“That’s right. You won it with the Hurricane. Is it really better now?”

“I know you guys so much better than my other team. I feel like we’re closer than any other team in the league. We’re a family.”

I smiled and watched as the Cup was being passed off from one guy to the next one. “We should go,” I nudged him and he unwrapped his arms from me as we skated up to the cup. Eager passed it to Andrew and his entire face lit up when he held the Cup.

“Here you go Rose,” Andrew then passed it to me and I just stared at it for a moment before taking it.

The feeling I got when I touched it was undescribable. It was such a strong euphoria, I almost passed out. Imagine that. Passing out from happiness.

~~~~~

The plane ride back to Chicago was amazing. The plane was probably flying due to our happiness. No gas needed.

I sat next to the Cup in the aisle and looked intently at the past teams. I saw a flash and saw Andrew grinning with his camera. “You looked so cute, I couldn’t resist sweets.”

“My turn!” Burish sang and he stole the Cup away and ran away with it, cackling evilly.

“Here,” I patted the place where the Cup had sat. “You can take its place.” He obliged and sat next to me and we sat in a comfortable silence. “It’s going to be crazy when we land,” I finally said.

“Are you ready to party?” he smirked at me. “Or do you not party?”

I sent him a look. “My dear, you have never seen me party before, have you?”

He shook his head. “You don’t even drink, save that one time in Vancouver.”

“I never got my drink,” I pointed out.

“Saint,” he muttered.

“Damn straight. Don’t you forget it Andrew Ladd.”

He stared into my eyes and I felt myself blush a little. “I will never forget,” he muttered.

LADD’S POV

We got off the plane and immediately set into party mood, like the rest of Chicago. We grouped off leaving me, Rose, Seabs, Steeger, and Kopy walking into a bar. Tazer and Sharpie promised the Cup in two hours time. They were both eager to show it to their girlfriends and I knew Tess would be ecstatic. But I knew we wouldn’t have the cup for at least three hours. We’d probably find them together in bed, the Cup between them, tomorrow morning.

“Hold on, I need to change,” Rose said, slipping into the airport bathroom before any of us could protest.

“So, have you kissed her yet?” Seabs asked as soon as she was in the door.

“What?” I stared back.

“You heard him,” Steeger said, texting someone, probably that girl Rose caught him making out with a few weeks ago. “Have you kissed my cousin yet? I mean how long are you going to make her wait?”

I didn’t have a chance to respond because Rose reappeared in a short red dress and black heels. Her wavy blonde hair fell softly below her shoulders and her make up was natural.

She looked absolutely beautiful.

My mouth must have been wide open because Kopy put his finger to my chin to close my mouth. “So you won’t swallow any flies or make a puddle of drool.”

“Ready?” she asked, tucking some hair behind her ear.

I fell into step with her as Seabs, Steeger, and Kopy went to hail a cab. “I didn’t give you enough credit. Where did that dress come from?”

She blushed slightly, but that only made her look even more beautiful than she already was. “I packed it as a just in case for partying. I’m glad I did. Are you ready?”

“Uh yeah!” I cheered.

We hit the warm air and Steeger was already in the front seat of the cab, Seabs and Kopy squished in the back.

“This should be interesting,” she muttered as she sat in my lap. I held her hips to make sure she didn’t go flying during a turn.

“You okay?” I asked her.

She smiled down at me. “Yes. I am perfectly okay.”

We reached the first bar and she hopped out, the bouncer letting her in no problem while the four of us had to show ID.

“And she got in easily because. . . ?” Steeger asked the bouncer as he flashed his license.

“She’s the Hawks goaltender and she’s smokin hott. Any babe with attitude like that can get in to my club.”

“Good to know,” I said drily and he let us in.

“Here you go,” Rose handed us each a shot. “For starters. Cheers! To us,” she smiled and downed her’s easily. No coughing or spluttering like any other newbie to alcohol would be.

“You know shy girls don’t party,” I reminded her, leading her to the dance floor.

She grinned. “When I was back with the girls in Toronto, we would party all the time. I knew all the guys there so I had no reason to be shy.”

“And here where you know only four of us?”

Her eyes met mine. “You guys are all I need to know.”

I smiled and we spent the rest of the night dancing and drinking. Like any other celebration would ensue of course.

Finally around two in the morning, Rose and I stumbled out of the last bar, hailing a cab. The others were still partying, though Sharpie, Kaner, and Tazer joined in a few bars ago with the Cup in hand.

We reached our house and she collapsed on the couch. “So freaking tired,” she mumbled into the pillow.

“Tell me about it. Are you at least going to make it to your bed?”

“Do I have to?” she whined.

I smiled and walked over to her, lifting her into my arms. “I’ll carry you.”

“Stop it,” she whined even more, while at the same time snuggling into me. “It’s late and you’re tired too. Let me sleep here and you go to bed.”

“Too late,” I sang already carrying her upstairs. I set her on her bed and kissed her forehead without really thinking. “Goodnight Rose.”

She grabbed my wrist and pulled me down next to her. “Goodnight Andrew,” she said and with that, we both fell asleep.

ROSELYN’S POV

The parade was. . . hell I didn’t even have words for it. How could I, with two million people jam packed into one area of the city?

I sat on top of a car with Nemo, Burish, Laddie, and Kris. “Holy shit,” I whispered. “This is insane!”

Nemo tossed me a megaphone and Kris laughed, taking the other. I saw girls cheering and holding signs, directed to me.

“You’re their hero,” Nemo whispered.

I blushed as I saw a few marriage proposals from some guys as well as the posters from the girls. “Am I really marriage worthy to those guys who’ve never even met me?” I asked.

“Look at your hot body,” Burish hip bumped me. “Of course they want to marry you.”

I laughed, blushing slightly. “If you say so Burish.”

NIEMI’S POV

“If you say so Burish,” Rose laughed, her cheeks red by the compliment he just gave her.

I glanced back over at Laddie and Steeger. Steeger merely rolled his eyes and hit Burish over the head, but Laddie. Laddie had fire in his eyes at every boy who even cheered for Rose.

“You might want to take the jealousy down a notch, eh?” Steeger muttered to him. “This is a happy day.”

Ladd snapped out of it and grinned. “Sorry. Lost in a nightmare for a second.”

“What was the nightmare?” I asked.

“Rose was a slut.”

Rose heard that one. She spun around, her hands on her hips, lips pursed tightly together. “Excuse me Andrew Ladd?”

Steeger and Burish snickered quietly before sitting down. Thank God the parade was over and we were heading to where the speeches would be made. No one would at least see them fight.

Ladd’s face was priceless. “What?! No! No! You missed the conversation before that!”

“Really? And what was the conversation, Mr. Ladd?” she hissed.

“Relax Baby V,” Coach called up. We were stopped and Coach must have heard most of the conversation. “He’s just jealous of all the proposals and that he didn’t think of that. Don’t take it personally.”

He shoulders slumped a little, her cheeks bright red out of anger and embarrassment. I walked with her down to where our names would be called and watched as she simmered down. “Better?”

She smiled sheepishly. “Sorry.”

I laughed. “Don’t be. You did only catch the tail end of that conversation. But don’t worry, Laddie does not think you’re a slut. He likes you too much to say that.”

She nodded once, thinking it over. “Okay.”

ROSELYN’S POV

I forgave Andrew not even two minutes after he said it. I hated it. I stood behind my cousin and before Patrick Kane and Johnny Toews.

“Done being mad yet?” he asked, grinning, his hat backwards, his sunglasses taking up half his face.

“I stopped being mad like fifteen minutes ago,” I muttered, mad about not being mad.

He chuckled before being called up on the stage. I stared, shocked when he started rapping and I couldn’t help but burst into laughter. That would be my cousin all right.

“Roselyn Versteeg!” my name was called and I took a deep breath and Kaner pushed me up there after I didn’t move after a second.

“You actually have to move,” he whispered, laughing at me.

I went up there and waved just like the rest. “You know Baby V,” Kris used my nickname, still at the stand. “Come say a few words about being the first woman goaltender.”

My eyes widened but Andrew threw me the thumbs up and a grin and I knew I could say a few words.

I got to the microphone and I knew I was blushing a deep red. “What’s going on Chicago?” I asked, almost timidly and I was greeted with the loudest applause I’ve ever heard. Once the crowd calmed down, I felt more confident. “You know, this feeling is amazing. Knowing that I helped win the Cup. Knowing that I am a woman goaltender. Knowing that I can kick some butt. For any other girl out there with or without a dream to the NHL, you can do it. Don’t doubt yourself. I never thought I would be apart of the NHL and I sure didn’t plan on it, but now that I’m here, it is by far the best experience ever and you guys helped us so much throughout the season. So girls, you just got to shove some of the guys over and show them what you got, because I guarantee it’s just as much as them.”

The applause was even louder and girls were shouting, agreeing with me. I backed down in between Andrew and Kris. “Great job out there,” Andrew whispered. “Very deep and inspirational for an impromptu speech.”

“Thanks.”

“Do you forgive me yet?” he asked.

I grinned, looking up at him. “I’m still mad, but at myself.”

He looked confused. “Why?”

“I’m mad at myself because I can’t stay mad at you. It’s so annoying.”

He smiled and his arm slithered around my waist, pulling me closer to him, before removing his hand, still smiling.

This was how it was supposed to be, I realized then, as I looked around at everyone. This was why I came to Chicago.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this is a slightly longer chapter so I hope you all like it :)