Don't Make Me Spell It Out For You

Chapter Fourteen

I played my last game as a Chicago Blackhawk on December 17 against the Detroit Red Wings. We won four to one, Kopy scoring twice, and Sharp and Bickell rallying one on the boards. It was a nice way to leave to the United Center.

Kopy stayed a second longer than usual on the ice and hit my mask before touching our heads together. “I’m going to miss you kid, but I think this is best for you.”

I nodded, trying not to tear up as I skated off the ice to wait for me to skate on again for the three stars of the game. I had made number two that night. It only made me want to cry more. Afterwards, I went into the locker room and changed. I gathered up the last of my stuff and I looked around at everyone. “I’m really going to miss this place and you guys,” I finally said. “I’ll be sure to call and visit whenever I can.”

“That’s it. I can’t take this anymore,” Seabs said, standing up, trapping me in a big bear hug. “Group hug time.”

And then I was covered in smelly hockey players.

I would have it no other way.

~~~~~

I quickly made my way up the steps and rang the doorbell. It was a warm day, though only a few days before Christmas time. I waited impatiently and anxiously until the door swung open and there in the doorway was a shocked looking hockey player. He stood there in his dark jeans and a black tee shirt, looking absolutely stunning.

“What are you doing here Rose?” Andrew stared at me with a look I couldn’t quite read. He looked around to see if I was the only one there. I was.

“Don’t make me spell it out for you Andrew,” I said in a low whisper. “What reason do I have to be here in Atlanta except for one?”

He only stared blankly at me. “You’re supposed to be in Chicago. You guys have a game tonight, I thought.”

I smiled wryly. “Have you seen my games Andrew? I suck. I wasn’t going to play tonight anyways.”

“No you don’t suck,” he tried comforting me, twirling a strand of my hair between his fingers, our bodies touching finally after so many months of being separated. It was comforting on more than one level.

“Andrew,” I told him sternly. “Yes, I do. If I know you as well as I think I do, then you’ve watched my games or at least the highlights. I’m ashamed by my performances even if no one will tell it to my face.”

“Still doesn’t explain why you’re here,” he didn’t break eye contact.

I handed him a copy of the trade that I had received two days ago. He scanned through it. “You got traded? To. . . ?” he trailed off, reading further.

I took a deep breath. “You probably only have one bed. I guess it will have to be like old times.”

THIRD PERSON’S POV

He stared at her, eyes wide, a smile on his lips as he worked the idea of her being traded to his team. “How did this happen Rose? How are you here?”

She smiled, laughing a little. “Stan had some mercy on me and said that if he was going to trade me, he might as well trade me to a team who could get some use out of me. He’s got Crawford up top now and Turco as his back up. Scott and Stalberg have Kris’s place. We’re covered Andrew. Sure, I’ll miss Kopy and the Anthem and Tazer’s looks, but this is where I’m supposed to be.”

“Who replaced me?” he whispered, bringing her in tight for a hug. His hands shook with the disbelief that she was actually in his arms. That she was actually in Atlanta to stay. He almost couldn’t believe it.

“My dear, you were never replaced,” she told him, breathing in the scent she’s missed for months.

“This doesn’t seem real,” he whispered into her ear. “This doesn’t just happen. I mean, you should be with Kris, if anything.”

“You’re going to make me spell it out for you, huh?” she smiled and pulled back so she could look into his eyes. “I. Love. You. Andrew. I want to be here with you. We could be on the worst team in the NHL and I wouldn’t care. And I mean if Stalberg and Crow could tell that I’m in love with you and they’ve never seen us together, then I. . . I should be here.”

ROSELYN’S POV

His lips crashed onto mine and he pushed me against the doorframe as we held on to each other for dear life. I hoped he would never let me go.

“I have been waiting for you to give me any kind of indication that you love me since the first day you were here.”

“I didn’t think you loved me back,” I admitted.

“Where’s your ribbon?” he asked, smiling.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Well I mean I got you for Christmas and usually my presents have bows on top of them.”

I shoved him playfully. “Not early Christmas presents. Don’t you know anything Andrew Ladd?”

He laughed and pulled me inside, stealing another kiss. “I know that I love you and have missed you for the past six months. Anything else past that and hockey, I don’t need to know.”

~~~~~

Christmas morning in the house we shared was one to remember. I played my first game as a Thrasher two nights before and I had earned my first shutout. I was back on top. I really liked the guys, especially since I knew four of them it made the transition that much easier. The guys on the Thrashers adopted me just as quickly as the Hawks, maybe due to the fact that Andrew apparently never shut up about me. Evander Kane said he was grateful I was there or else he would have traded himself for me, just to get him to shut up.

“Wakey, wakey,” his voice tickled my ear.

I sat up, bleary eyed. “I’m up. I’m up. Merry Christmas,” I smiled at Andrew.

“And Merry Christmas to you, my dear,” he laid next to me. “You ready for presents?”

I laughed. “Can I call my cousin first?”

“Nope. Not until you opened your presents. Then you can call everyone on your list that you made last night.”

I blushed at him poking fun at me. It was true. I had a list of everyone I was supposed to call today. There was that many people who wanted to hear about my transition to Atlanta.

We finished opening up presents and I stretched, reaching for out for my cell phone. “Wait,” Andrew said, returning with a small box. “That wasn’t the last present.”

“Andrew! I didn’t even want anything!”

He ignored me and got down on one knee, opening the box to reveal gorgeous silver ring with a small ruby placed on top. “Roselyn Versteeg, I’ve missed you so much these past few months. Would you do me the honor of letting me be your husband for forever and maybe a day past forever?”

I had my hand over my mouth to stop the cry of joy, so I could only nod. He laughed, attacking me in a hug and we were both laughing and kissing.

“I love you,” I whispered.

“I love you too baby,” he responded.

“You know, now I have to call everyone.”

He laughed. “I thought maybe we could just tie everything up into one phone call.”

“So thoughtful of you.”

Kris was ecstatic and kept repeating himself, saying that he told us so. He told everyone so. Burish and Skille promised to come to the wedding, no matter the date. We assured them it would be in early fall as to not interrupt the hockey season. The next one was Nemo.

“Rose? You got traded to Laddie’s pitiful team?” were his first words. “You do know that he is the Captain and that’s why they’re losing, right?”

“Hey Nemo,” Andrew rolled his eyes.

He laughed. “Sorry man. Merry Christmas guys.”

“Thanks. You too. How’s San Jose?” I smiled.

“Warm. What’s new with you guys? Rooming together again, I assume?”

“Yeah. Guess what?” I asked, unable to contain the news any longer.

“What?”

“We’re getting married!”

“Finally!” he shouted. I don’t think I had ever heard him shout before. “A year later and you two finally accept that you are perfect for each other. Thank you. Oh and congrats.”

I laughed. “Thanks Nemo. We appreciate your happiness.”

Then it was time to call the Hawks.

“Who’s there?” I asked when Tazer finally picked up.

“Everyone basically. Merry Christmas to you too,” he grumbled.

“Put us on speaker phone?”

“Oh Laddie’s there too? Hey man,” he greeted his old teammate before switching us onto speaker phone. “Say hey to Baby V and Laddie guys.”

“So, we called for another reason besides to wish you all a Merry Christmas,” Andrew said, playing with my hair as I sat on his lap, holding the phone. “Which it is a very Merry Christmas.”

“What, are you two finally getting married?” Kopy joked.

I stared at the phone. “You know, at least Kris let me say it before pointing out the obvious.”

“Wait what?!” he backtracked. “You are?! FINALLY!”

Everyone was cheering and congratulating us and finally Tazer took us off speaker phone. “Congrats guys. We’ll all be there for the wedding, no matter what.”

I about cried right then. “Thanks.”

“Oh my gosh!” Tessa had the phone then. “Andrew! Finally! I thought there was something wrong with you for not proposing to your wonderful girl!”

Andrew only sighed. “Family,” he shook his head.

~~~~~

October first was the big day for us. Everyone showed up despite the long plane ride to Italy.

Yeah Italy. The place I’ve dreamt about getting married since I was five, as Kris remembered it. I didn’t think it would happen, even though I was getting married. I figured we would just do a small wedding in Atlanta. I mean it was our first full season as Thrashers together and we talked about keeping it local.

Local my ass.

Andrew said he had the place all picked out and that was one thing I didn’t need to worry about. I mean I was grateful and I trusted him but I was worried when he started packing suitcases. Low behold, two days ago, he surprised me by saying we had to travel to get to our wedding spot.

We arrived and I was shell shocked. He said that Steeger had clued him in and that it was official. We were getting married in Italy and everyone had already made the voyage to Italy for our wedding.

Damn did I feel special.

I watched as the various hockey players mingled together in their best suits, harassing my soon to be husband who stood anxiously awaiting me at the alter. Kris, Buff, Evander Kane, and Toews stood next to him, while I had taken Kopy, Crow, Tessa, and Nemo for myself.

My father walked me down the aisle and I watched Andrew as he watched me, a grin covering his entire face. I probably had the same expression. This was definitely one of the best days of my life. I had been waiting a year to get together with Andrew after months of not knowing what he thought of me and then nine months ago we were ripped apart. I was positive we could never be together again, but fate and a little push proved me wrong, thank God.

“You may now kiss the bride,” the pastor said and Andrew and I kissed for a good two minutes, earning whistles in return.

“Mrs. Roselyn Ladd. I love the sound of that,” Andrew smiled as we watched the others mess around in the reception hall. They were so funny to watch. “Sounds so sexy on you.”

“I love you.”

“And I love you,” Andrew said, kissing me for the fifth time in the last ten minutes. I loved it though. “Well this is quite the gathering. Good thing we have lots of beer and a good DJ.”

“Tell me about it,” I rolled my eyes.

He led me out of the hall to look at the stars and I followed without even thinking. I trusted Andrew Ladd with my life and I would follow him wherever he took me. We were a package deal.

And I would have it no other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter :'( I love this story and I hope you all did too :) thanks for reading!!