Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

The Background

Grace texted me.
> Hey what are you up to?
< Just chillin. What’s up?
> Umm. I was just wanting to come over and talk to you.
< I…don’t really like to talk.
> I know you don’t but I really need to.
< Okkk…let me know when you’re here.

5 or 10 minutes, there was a knock on the door. My friend, Neely was over, so she got up and let Grace in. Neely’s boyfriend, Will was here, too and Grace talked to them before coming to my room.

“So what’s going on, girl?” she asked, flopping down on my bed.
“Not too much How was church today?” I smirked at her.
I didn’t go to church this morning like I was supposed to, but I didn’t feel bad about it…at all.
“Oh, it was good. The only people there were me, Ryan, Joe and Jake. And of course, Aaron and Marie (the pastor and assistant pastor) were there. It was fun.”
“How about the chili lunch?” I didn’t really care. I was just humoring her…or wasting time…whatever.
“It was really good. They all enjoyed it and another Sunday School class helped.”
“Cool cool…sooo…you came to talk to me about something?…” I just kept thinking ‘Get to the damn point’.

Grace sat up straight and propped herself up against the wall.
“Ok…well…”
She took a few deep breaths.
“So…you know me and Ryan have been hanging out a lot lately.”
I just nodded my head. That wasn’t breaking news. Whatever.
“Well…we’re…kinda…” Another long pause. “…dating…”