Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

Perfect 10?

[Stella’s P.O.V.]

I stood over the sink, washing some dishes that had been used by people that shuffled through the Gaskarth cabinets.

I couldn’t believe that Alex was so bold, bold enough to hit on me with Jack, his best friend, right in the other room. What nerve! He knew how I felt about Jack, did he? I mean, he had to know. Everyone that saw us knew. He just didn’t care.

“Why are you washing dishes?”

The voice startled me and I dropped the plastic cup I was rinsing out, splashing water all over the counter and myself.

“Woah.”

I turned my head around to see that it was Jack behind me. He stepped to the side of me, ripping some paper towels off the roll.

“Don’t drown yourself there.” He wiped the counter off, looking over at me. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s ok,” I said as my heart pounded. “I was just in my own world. I just got lost there.”

*Actually, no, I’m not ok. I thought you were Alex. He’s the one that scares me.*

Jack smiled as I rested the cup on the other side of the sink. “Thinking about me? Or are you really that tired?”

I started washing the last cup as I answered him. “Both. Your friend needs a cleaning service.”

“Where is he anyway?”

“In the backyard, I guess.”

*I don’t know. And I don’t care.*

I placed the last cup on the dry side of the sink. Jack handed me a dry paper towel.

“Ok. You’re finished here, I’m gonna let him know. And we’re gonna leave.”

I nodded at Jack. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

I walked to the trash can, throwing the towels away as Jack walked outside to talk to Alex. Walking out to the living room, I saw that Jack did a good job of cleaning up the living room. He even straightened out the cushions and pillows on the couch.

I gently sat down on the couch, resting my body for a minute. I sat back, leaning my head back on the couch, sighing gently.

“Stel, you ready to go?”

I heard Jack behind me. He ran his fingers through my hair.

“Mmhm.” I mumbled, readying myself to stand up.

“If you wanna stay here for the night, there’s plenty of room.” Alex said, way eagerly.

“Um.” I stood up, ready to go. Now. “No, I’m good to go. Thanks.” I didn’t want to be rude in front of Jack, but I knew Alex’s intentions.

I walked over to the wall to pick up my shoes, not about to put them on. If I walked in heels, being this tired, all I would do was trip.

“Alright, man. I’ll see you later.” Jack said bye to Alex. I leaned against the wall, waiting for Jack to start walking to the door.

“Thanks. I’ll see yall later. Thank you, Stella.” I looked over at Alex as he gently bowed his head to me.

I smiled in response.

*How could he act so sweet, after being such a jerk earlier?*

Jack walked to the door, opening it for me. I walked out before him, hearing the
door shut behind him. Because I was walking so slowly, he caught up with me, wrapping his fingers into mine.

“Are you sure you’re gonna be able to make it home without falling asleep?”
I nodded, staying silent, leaning on him gently as he walked me to my car.

“You promise?” As I looked up to him, he was looking down at me.

“I promise, babe.”

Soon, we reached my car.

“Good, ol’ trusty Dewayne.”

I laughed at Jack. “Don’t make fun of my car. He was my first boyfriend.”

“Why does that make me jealous?”

I was leaning against the back of my car, looking at up him as he made an angry face. “You just didn’t snatch me up fast enough.” I held in laughter.

“Whatever. I’ve got you now.” He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me toward him. “And you’ve got me.”

“I know.” I rested my head on his chest.

Jack was such a constant. A comfort for me.

I loved that.

“I’m so glad you’re back.” I silently spoke. “I really did miss you.”

He rubbed my back as he continued to hold me. “Why don’t you come home with me?”

I pulled back from his slightly, looking up at him. “Seriously? We both know that if I stayed with you tonight, neither of us would go to sleep.”

“And the problem?” Jack looked down at me, with a smirk.

I ran my hand down his chest. “I’ll tell you what. I won’t stay tonight, but save a day for me. I promise…I’ll spend all night with you one night.”

“Yay!” He kissed my forehead. “I will.”

He moved away from me, so that I could walk to the driver’s side of my car.

I was getting way attached to this boy. And right now, I didn’t want to leave him. I looked over at him before opening my car door and getting inside.

“Text me when you get home, ok?” He asked.

I nodded. “I will. Bye, baby.” I closed my door as Jack stood away from my car,
his hands shoved into his pockets.

I smiled at him before pulling away.

*****

About halfway between Alex’s house and mine, my phone buzzed.

I took it out of my cup holder, glancing down at it, intermittently, as I drove down the street.

It was Alex.

<Seriously. Thank you for helping me clean up my house. Beautiful, funny, helpful. You’re like the perfect 10.