Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

Getting Into You. - Stella's P.O.V.

Freaking out Alex was hilarious. And being with Jack all afternoon was so much fun.

“What are you grinning about?” Jack asked me as he drove.

I pointed at him, smiling still.

“What? Me? Do I have a booger in my nose? And I know I didn’t fart.”

I did another silent laugh.

“Ok, where the hell am I going? I’m so fucking lost.”

I laughed and pointed to him to make a left.

It absolutely cracked me up that he had a dirty mouth. It was hot.

*Wait…what?*

“The first one of the right,” I strained.

He turned to the right and into my driveway. Dad’s SUV wasn’t there and the den lights weren’t on. I figured my parents went to get my car.

“Alright, my friend.” He turned off the car and opened his door. He skipped over to my door; he looked like a cartoon character. He opened my door and I climbed out.

I looked up at him.

*Why did he make me feel so comfortable? So safe?*

“Oh wait.” He pulled my phone out of his pocket. With a crooked smile, he looked down at my phone. He was clicking all sorts of buttons, very quickly.

“Fuck. No.” His face contorted. “Oh wait, no. I’m good.”

I just stood there. My hands on my hips, faking impatience.

I saw him roll his eyes.

“Bitch,” he mumbled.

“What?” I croaked.

“Nothinggg.” He sang. “Everything is just perfect.” He smiled at me and handed me my phone.

I looked at it and noticed the background was him making a silly face.

*When did he take that?*

I looked at him, curiously, but smiled anyway.

“So…” Jack hummed. My throat closed and my heart started pounding. This is how this Ryan and Grace thing started. “…Does this mean I can hug you now?”

I let out a huge sigh.

“Oh, shit. Did I scare you?”

I nodded yes. He ran his fingers through his hair.

I enveloped him in a hug. I heard his heartbeat. Soon, his arms were tightly around me.

*Please, Jack. Don’t let me go. I wish I could stay in this spot forever, but I know I can’t.*

I loosened my grip, looking up at him. He wrapped his long arm around my shoulders as he walked me to the door.

“Stella, I don’t know if you’re ready to believe this now because of all the lies that surround you, but I’m so there for you whenever you need me. You asked me not to lie to you earlier and all I can give you is my word and my…” He paused, blinking. “I just really want you to be ok. And I just want you to know you can lean on me...Damn. That sounded a lot better in my head.”

I just smiled at him. My heart totally believed him, but my head thought he could just be another Ryan.

I didn’t think things would make sense to me for a while.

I motioned for him to come toward me. He had to bend down so low.

“Your parents you’ve had for 18 years? They did a rockin job.”

He smiled at that.

“Hold on. I have something else,” he said.

He held his pinkie up to me. I mirrored him. “Yeah. You know what I’m saying. Pinkie promises. Break this…and you die!” He grinned and I nodded firmly in agreement.

I pulled out my key and started to unlock the door.

“Goodnight, Jack.”

“Goodnight to you, Stella.”

He backed away from the door, not getting into his car until I locked my door. I watched him hop in and drive away.

I knew in my heart that I would actually sleep well tonight.

*****
My phone jingled and vibrated against my bed. I moaned and turned over.

My body froze.

It was 5am and Ryan texted me…again.

>Are you really still not talking to me?

I started to shake. I turned back over, away from my phone.