Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

Field of Dreams.

[Stella’s P.O.V.]

I didn’t speak to Jack until we got to his car. He opened the door for me. I would have been excited about that, had I not felt terrible for my dad attacking him.

Jack started the car and backed out of my driveway.

“Ohmygod, Jack. I’m so sorry about my dad. Are you ok?” I spoke quickly and word vomited all over him.

“I’m fine, Stella.”

“Really? It was horrible, wasn’t it? Aughh.” I covered my face with my hands.

“Hey, come out of there,” Jack teased. “It really wasn’t that horrible. Your dad just told me how much he cared about you.”

I moved my left hand away from my face, so I could see him. “Really? That’s all?”

Jack smiled, reaching over to place his hand on top of mine. “He really loves you a lot.”

That made me feel tons better. I was sure Daddy would give him this 3rd degree questioning along with a threat.

“Oh. Well then, ok.” I sighed out a laugh. “Where are we going?”

Jack smiled at me mischievously and I put on a nervous grin.

[Jack’s P.O.V.]

We’d been driving for about 30 minutes, singing songs and talking. When I turned down a dirt road, Stella got quiet. A few minutes later, she asked, “Where the hell are we?”

“You’ll see.”

She looked over at me. “How will I see? There aren’t city lights.”

“Cause we aren’t in the city anymore, Memphis.”

I slowed the car down to a stop and put the car in park.

“What are you doing?” Stella asked me. She was looking at me like I was crazy.

“WE’RE getting out.” I curled my lips at her.

“Nooo way.” Stella stated as I stepped out of the car.

I walked to her side, opening the door. “Come on.” I held my hand out to her.

She shook her head no. She was being stubborn again.

“Come onnn,” I coaxed her.

“No.”

I bent down to eye level with her. “Why not?” I pouted my lips.

She looked me in the eye before looking away to speak. “I’m afraid of the dark.”

“But I have to show you something really awesome.”

She shook her head again.

I tried to think about what I could say or do to get her to come with me.

[Stella’s P.O.V.]

Jack was wonderful, but he had to be crazy to think I was going out into the fucking woods with him.

He was staring at me and I knew he was trying to convince me with his eyes…his beautiful eyes that were the 1st 2 things I noticed about him…they were so sweet…

“Ok,” I broke out of my own thoughts. He looked at me with excitement in his eyes. “I’ll come with you IF…you hold my hand and you don’t let go.”

He smiled brightly and my lips turned up, too. He stood up straight, holding his hand out to me again. “Deal.”

I took his hand, getting out of the car and shutting the door.

“Ok, you ready?” He asked, looking down at me. I nodded, gripping his hand tighter.

Jack led the way and I anxiously followed behind. He slowed down at bit so that we were right next to each other. My hand went up his arm.

“I think you’re gonna love it out here.”

I laughed. “Too bad I have no idea where here is.”

“Well, we’re here now.” He stated.

I looked around and I could see that we were in a field. The trees seemed to be all around us, except for this spot. But then, I realized I could see. I confusingly looked around for light. Then I looked up.

“Ohmygod,” I sighed.

The moon illuminated everything around us and the stars were big and bright, twinkling like I’d never seen.

“Oh, Jack.” My jaw dropped as I continued to look around at the beautiful night sky.

“Hold on,” Jack whispered. He quickly picked me up and started spinning me around.

I squealed and giggled like crazy. I tried to yell for him to put me down, but I couldn’t stop giggling. We were spinning so fast.

As he stopped, he told me to look up. The stars were spinning with me. It was fantastic.

But as I stood staring at the stars, I couldn’t keep my balance.

“Aghh!” I yelped as I fell to the ground.

I heard an “Oomph” through my crazy laughter. Between my laughs, I could hear Jack laughing as hard as I was.

“That. Was. Amazing.” I said between breaths.

We both caught our breath after a few more moments.

“Jack, that was just the best.”

“I know, right?”

I turned my face away from the sky to realize that he was right next to me.