Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

Following the Rules.

[Stella’s P.O.V.]

The only people that were in the hallway, at the moment, were seniors. We were being rushed inside the auditorium. There were teachers standing by every row, sitting us down, alphabetically. I pouted as Kara walked away from me, going toward her row.

I thought I would be totally spread out from my friends, but I ended up sitting right next to Alex. The guy that separated us, Greg, must not have passed his finals. He was a stupid jock, so I didn’t care.

“Hey Gardner! It’s me and you til the end.”

I shook my head, laughing, ignoring his as I looked around to see where all my friends were sitting.

Jack was pretty close to the front of the auditorium. Rian and Kara were about a row behind him. Then, 2 rows back sat Alex and me. A couple seats down sat Jake. Skipping a couple more rows sat Ashton. Then way back in the back rows sat Will, Neely’s boyfriend, Ryan, Grace, who had a brace on one of her fingers, and Neely.

We were all spread out and it was so surreal. After all the drama, we were still all about to graduate.

“Hey, Stel. What’s up in that mind?” Alex poked my head, gently.

“Everything. Too much. Nothing.” I smiled at him.

“That’s a lot.” He raised his eyebrows.

I shrugged. “I’m used to it.”

Alex slumped over, leaning on the armrest between us. “Thank you for being so great to my best friend.”

I looked at him and I know I had a funny look on my face, but what he said surprised me.

“Well, I just care about him a ton and I can’t treat him any other way.”

He shook his head, smiling a little, laughing to himself. “You are so damn
amazing. I’m jealous of him.”

I held my head down, blushing. “Well, umm…” I giggled. “I don’t know what to say.”

After I stopped speaking, Mr. Goddard started to talk about practice, giving us instructions on how we would do things. Alex brushed his bangs from his face and I couldn’t look at him the rest of the time.

We got out of practice around 11:30 and I wanted to get around Jack
immediately.

“What are you doing now?” Alex asked as we stood up.

I sighed. “Grounded.”

He frowned. “Oh yeah. Damn.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Yeah, that’s what I get for being a badass.” I laughed at my own stupid joke, while Alex mumbled something. I scrunched up my nose, confused. But I just shrugged that off, too.

We walked down the auditorium aisle, catching up with Rian and Kara, waiting on Jack. Then we walked out into the hallway and I saw a group of underclassmen stare in my direction. They whispered as we passed by.

I looked behind myself to Jack. “Were they staring at me?”

Jack made a face. “Hun, I think you’re a bit notorious.”

I covered the right side of my face with my right hand as we walked outside.

Jack walked me to the car while Alex stopped inside to talk to some girl named Cheyenne. I really couldn’t believe that through the past drama, he was still playing girls. I just rolled my eyes and focused on Jack.

“So…how about you come kidnap me from my room tonight?” I wiggled my eyebrows.

“Ha, yeah right. Your dad has AK-47’s for arms.” The look on his face said, ‘Girl, please.’

“Poo.” I poked his arms. “I thought you were bulletproof.”

He wrapped his arms around my torso. “I wish I could kidnap you, but it’s family dinner night at the ol’ Barakat house.” He stuck his tongue out of me, playfully.

“Being grounded is a bitch.” I whined. Jack nodded his head in agreement. I stood up on my tiptoes to gently kiss him.

He kissed my forehead before letting go of me completely. “I’ll call or text you soon.”

I nodded before sliding into my car.