Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

Flashback: The Main Problem.

The weekends always went by quickly. But, I guess that was a good thing, seeing as I was a senior. Finals started in like 2 weeks. The thought was a happy one to wake up to.

My phone jingled. I rolled over. *Who in the hell is texting me at…* I looked at my clock. *…6:30am?* I groaned and opened the text.

It was from Ryan.

>Feel like breakfast, syrup?

I laughed to myself as I responded.

<Um. I guess. You know I’m always hungry. Syrup?

>I knew it. Syrup=Sweetie. :)

<Cute. But???

>Get up. Get dressed. I’ll be there in 30 minutes.

<WTH?!

>I’m taking you to breakfast. 29.

>Ohmygosh. I’m so confused.

<Stella…just get ready. Dang.

About 25 minutes later, I was ready. It really didn’t take me too long to get ready for school. I took a really quick shower, threw on whatever clothes I wanted…which usually consisted of a graphic tee of some sort and jeans…brushed my teeth and did my hair. Sometimes, I might add some sort of accessory…earrings, necklaces, random colored hair pieces or eyeliner/eyeshadow.

Today, I just did my normal drill, with some little gold hoop earrings my mom got me.

I heard a honk and grimaced. *Why did he do that?! Now my parents are gonna be asking all sorts of questions.*

I grabbed my bookbag and ran down the hall. My dad was looking out the window, trying to see who was in the driveway.

My mom was sitting at the bar in the kitchen, drinking coffee. “Hey, sweetie. Do you know who that is honking in our driveway?”

“Yes. It’s Ryan.” I smiled at her, sympathetically.

“Well, tell him next time if honks in MY driveway, I’m coming out there, instead of you.” My dad growled.

My dad didn’t like the fact that his baby girl had guy friends. He didn’t really want me to grow up.

“Yes sir. I’ll tell him. I gotta go.” I ran to my mom and kissed her on the cheek, and then I hopped to my dad, doing the same. “Love yall.”

I shut the front door, glaring at Ryan as I got in his SUV.

“Dude, why didn’t you just call me? My dad was about to come kick your ass!”

“Well, they don’t call me ‘Kickass’ for nothing.” He grinned.

His smile calmed me down.

“So…this is really nice and all, but explain.”

“Aww, come on.” He placed his hand on my knee. “I just wanted to take my best friend out to breakfast. What’s wrong with that?”

I giggled like a 12 year old girl, even though I wondered why he was touching my knee. He moved it eventually and he ended up pulling up to McDonald’s.

“Yay!” I bounced in my seat and he smiled as he pulled toward the drive-thru.

“Do you know what you want?” he looked at me.

“No. I need a sec to look at the menu.” He kinda grumbled. “Dang. Calm down.”

I told Ryan what I wanted and he yelled it into the intercom. I guess he saw me pulling out my billfold. He put his hand on mine to stop me. I looked at him, guiltily. The lady told him the cost through the muffled intercom and he pulled up to the window.

“Ryan. You didn’t have to pay for it.”

“I know. I wanted to.” He paid at the first window and pulled to the second, grabbing our bags. He handed me mine and pulled into a parking space.

We were eating in silence for about 5 minutes. Ryan started talking. “So…I have a question for you.” He turned to me in his seat. I looked up at him. I just took a bite of my biscuit, so my mouth was totally full. I mumbled an ok.

“Umm…it’s…Jack…how do you know him?”

I smiled at Ryan, and then wiped my mouth with a napkin before speaking.

“Grace and I have class with him.”

He just nodded his head. “Ok…I was just looking out for you. His friend Alex is…”

“A douche, I know.”

He bit his lip.

“What’s wrong, Ryan?”

He turned in his seat and started the car.

“Ryan?”

“It’s just…you’re my girl and I don’t want to lose you. You’re my favorite girl.”

I was so happy I wanted to cry.

“Ryan, you’ve been my best guy friend since forever. Nothing and no one could come between this. Between us.”

“You got that right.” He smiled at me as he pulled out of the parking lot.