This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

I walk myself away from you, go to hell

I had given my mom $13,000 out of the money that was for Lewy. I didn't have that much left; I felt sick doing it, because I had a feeling I wouldn't be getting that money back. I didn't let my dad know, because I knew he would've gotten angry with me over it.

I kept this all to myself.

Vita had come over to my house just before my mom left to go back to New York. She had grown a lot since I last saw her, but then again, she was just 7 going on 8. She had long strawberry blonde hair, her skin was dark, from both the New York sun and Leo's genes. She was quiet when she entered my house and carried her bags. Her bags were already packed to come live with me; apparently, my mom knew I'd say yes.

"Hey," I greeted her, "Wow, you look a lot different from when I last saw you," I relayed to her, "What grade are you in?"

Vita nibbled on her bottom lip, "8th grade."

I nodded, unsure of what to do; it was slightly awkward. I cleared my throat, "So, um, I have an air mattress in Lewis' room that you can sleep on until I can get my dad to bring over the bed in my room at his place. I'll have to do some readjusting to Lewis' room for you...how long are you going to stay, again?"

She shrugged, "I dunno."

I bit at my lip, "We'll adjust, I guess. If you want my bed--"

"No, it's okay." She said softly.

"You sure? I don't want you to sleep on that air mattress anyway; Pete's friend Joe said it hurt his back."

"I'll be fine," she answered, "As long as you aren't loud and don't have little kids jumping on me, everything is great. Besides, I've been sleeping on a couch for the past two months. Jonny and Gina got their own beds and mom wouldn't make them share."

I frowned, "Thats so fucked up."

Vita giggled; she looks so much like my mom, it was weird.

"Tonight," I told her, "Take my bed, I don't mind at all. I've gotta study anyway."

"Really, are you sure?"

I nodded, "Yeah, go right ahead."

Vita smiled, "Thanks, Naomi."

"No problem."

•••

The next couple of days, Vita slept in my bed next to me; my dad was slow on getting a bed to my place; was really reluctant to do so. He wanted me to send her back to New York with my mom, but I told him I couldn't.

"Leo's in prison and things are tough."

My dad had given me a look, "How long is she staying?"

"We don't know, mom didn't specify."

My dad gave a sigh, "If I give you some money, will you go buy her a twin bed? I have a friend who works at Frank's Furniture Store, he can give you a discount."

"You sure, dad?"

He hummed, "Yeah. Buy some sheets too."

He gave me a few hundred dollars; "Thanks," I told him, "I wanted to help, ya'know."

My dad gave a small nod, "Yeah, I know, Naomi."

I thanked him again, and stayed just a little longer before taking Lewy with me to pick up Vita at my house. The 3 of us went to the furniture store, and began to look at the beds. Vita looked a little nervous; "Your dad...he's not mad is he?"

"No, why?" I asked, hiking Lewy on my hip.

"Dunno...my dad would've been mad about spending money on a bed."

"Well, my dad just wants you to be comfortable, Vita."

She let out a sigh, "I'm kinda glad mom made me come stay with you. I feel like I can breathe."

I furrowed my brow, "Made you?"

"Yeah, she said I was coming whether or not I wanted to because you had already said I could."

I shook my head at this. My mom played me like a fucking idiot, and I fell for it. I didn't say anything; it wasn't Vita's fault.

"C'mon, lets find a bed," I forced a small smile. "I get a discount."

Vita gave me a look, "You didn't know I was coming, did you?"

I exhaled, "No, I didn't."

"I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's okay, Vita. Don't worry."

"Mom convinced me so well that you said yes, because you said you'd give her some money."

I held in a groan; my mom really did play me. I can't believe her. She knew she'd get something put of me, and I just let it happen.

I don't think I ever felt so stupid before.

"Are you okay?" Vita asked as I began to walk off a bit.

"I'm fine." I replied softly.

She followed me towards the beds, and then I stopped to look them over. "Which do you like?" I asked her.

She hummed softly, "Um...that one looks comfy."

I looked at the one she pointed to; "Reasonably priced," I murmured to myself, hiking Lewis up again; he was beginning to play with my hair. I looked for a salesman, and waved him over once I spotted him.

He came over, "Hello, what can I get you?"

"Um, we're gonna take this one, have it delivered. My name is Naomi, my dad said I could get a deal on one of these."

The man smiled; his name was Fred, "You're Lee's daughter," he stated, "Great, I can knock the price down just a bit, along with free delivery."

"When will it be delivered?"

"Today." He answered.

I smiled, "Great, thanks."

Fred rang us up, and then gave me the receipt. I was told that the bed would be delivered by 5, so that gave us a few hours to move Lewy's stuff into my bedroom. First, we went down to Target to get some sheets and other necessities.

Vita was quiet once more as she followed my lead in the store. Lewy was sucking his bottle in the cart, looking sleepy; Vita walked beside me; "What was it like being with Pete Wentz?" She asked.

I shrugged, "Same as having any boyfriend, only we rarely ever got to see each other."

"All the girls I hung out with liked him, it was weird."

"How come?"

She shrugged, "I just used to know that you were his girlfriend and all. And, I never found him attractive. I never told any of them that you were that Naomi who was dating him."

I smiled, "Girls would've been lining up to be your friend."

She laughed, "I know."

We were quiet once more, heading towards the bedding aisles. I let her pick the sheets, pillows and pillow cases, and then we went on to get some more things. After shopping, I paid and then we went home; Vita offered to take a sleeping Lewy inside while I grabbed the few bags we got; I gave her the key and watched her walk up the porch; I grabbed the bags and followed her inside the opened door.

I paused as I saw Pete there, taking Lewy from Vita. I frowned, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Pete looked at me, "I'm visiting. Can't I come into my own house?"

I rolled my eyes, and moved passed him, "C'mon, Vita."

She followed me, while Pete called on, "Aren't you gonna introduce me?!"

"Every teenage girl on earth knows who you are!" I called back.

Vita gave me a wide eyed look, "Wow, do you hate him?"

I sighed, "He never ceases to piss me off."

She gave a small laugh. "He scared me half to death when I came in."

"He's harmless."

I set the bags down and together, Vita and I moved the crib off to one side, and then took the changing table to my room. Lewy's dresser was next, and then the crib; all of which was easy, even with having to wedge the crib through the doors. Finally, there came a ring to the doorbell; "Probably the bed," I said, "You can use the small chest over there to put your clothes in; there's nothing in there."

Vita nodded and went to my room to get her clothes. I went into the living room where Pete was at the door; "You ordered a bed?" He asked me with a dumb look on his face.

"Yes, I did." I answered; I pushed him to the side, letting the moving men in, "Bedroom on the left down the hall." I told them, "Thanks."

Pete looked at me with an incredulous look on his face, "The hell?"

"Shut up, Pete." I muttered, shutting the door.

I went to help the men set the bed right; they were able to do it in a minute or so. Again, I thanked them and gave them a tip; they left and Vita began to put her sheets on the bed. "Tell your dad I said thank you."

"We might go over and eat with them, so you can tell him yourself, alright?"

"Alright," she smiled, "I haven't had my own bed in months!"

I laughed as she laid on the freshly made bed with a loud sigh; "Enjoy it."

"Oh, I will," she grinned now, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Okay, who is she?" Pete's voice came through the room.

I looked over, seeing him at the entry of the room, "Pete, that's Vita, my half-sister."

He raised a brow, "She lives with you now? Since when?"

Vita sat up, looking at us; I could feel her eyes on us.

"Since last week," I answered. "It's a long story, which I don't feel like elaborating."

He shook his head, "Ain't it gonna be tough having your boyfriend over with our son and your sister here?"

"You can leave right now if you're gonna be an asshole," I shoved him in his chest, "Where's Lewis?"

"On the couch." He answered.

"Go make sure he doesn't roll off." I spat at him.

Pete glared at me, but turned without saying anything. I turned back to Vita, who looked shocked. "How come you're mad at him?"

"A long, long story." I sat on the bed beside her. "I wish it were easy between us, but it just isn't."

"He looks like he's the one who makes it difficult."

I coursed my hair back, "Can't put all the blame on him...he just likes to aggravate me, and I can't help but to snap at him."

"Do you love him?"

I nodded slowly, "I do. He was sort of my first everything. He used to be my very best friend, now...it's like he wants to be my enemy because I believe that we shouldn't be together."

"Why not?"

"He...he said a lot of stuff that made me not wanna be around him."

"Well," she sighed softly, "I think one day he'll understand and things will be just fine."

I chuckled, "I hope so."

She and I got up and went into the living room; Pete was sitting on the couch, texting on his phone; Lewy was asleep on a pillow beside him. He looked up at me, "I came to see Lewy and I'm leaving right now."

I exhaled, "Fine with me."

He stood and looked at Vita now; "I've seen a couple of pictures of you. How old are you?"

"13." She answered. "How old are you?"

He laughed, "I'm fuckin' old."

I couldn't help but to roll my eyes again.

"It's nice meeting you," Vita said, "Lewis looks so much like you."

Pete shrugged, "I only see Naomi in him."

I felt like he was trying to appease and throw some charm at her.

There was a car horn that sounded outside; Pete looked back, "I gotta go." He looked at me now, "I'll call you."

"Don't." I smirked at him.

He rolled his eyes back at me and then waved at Vita before kissing the top of Lewy's head. He left the house, taking the small amount of tension with him.