This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

It was never about the songs, it was competition

Pete was quieter. We didn't talk about the argument, he was just silent. Lewy had come home, but he had started to cry when Pete tried to pick him up. Pete didn't say anything, but you could see he was upset by it.

"He's got a rash," I told Pete, "He knows you like to bounce him."

Pete just gave me a look, "Sure."

I checked Lewy's diaper, changed him and put more cream on him, "Okay, your outburst scared him, you know? Give him time, you're still here for a bit."

Pete hummed and leaned against Lewy's crib.

"Hey," I turned to Pete once Lewy's onesie was on, "What do you think Lew should be for Halloween?"

Pete shrugged, "I was a clown when I was a year old."

I chuckled, "Really?"

"Yeah."

I looked at Lewy, "Well I was a fairy princess."

"I know," Pete smirked as I looked over at him, "I saw your baby pictures. I think your old man is going bald."

I rolled my eyes with a laugh, "Leave my dad alone...I know he's going bald."

"I'm just jokin'," he smiled, "Uh, I'm not sure what he should be."

Lewy nuzzled up against my chest, I rubbed his back, "Maybe we can ask Uncle Andrew to help?"

"I'm the costume expert here," Pete scoffed jokingly, "Why not a transformer?"

"Something warm and comfy," I said.

"How about the Stay Puft marshmallow man?" He offered jokingly.

"Hell yeah!" I exclaimed.

Lewy giggled and looked up at me, "You like that idea, bubba?"

He nodded excitedly.

"We got a winner," Pete smiled, "Just gotta find a Stay Puft costume."

"Amy can help me make one."

"What are you gonna be?" Pete asked as I sat in the rocking chair with Lewy.

"Uh, I don't think I'm gonna dress up," I set Lewy in my lap and began to rock slowly. "I'm already tired as it is, I don't need to be all dressed up to take Lewy around the block."

"Are you sure? I'm dressing up."

"As?"

"Ghostbuster!"

I laughed, "Good one."

"You can be Dana," Pete shrugged.

"There is no Dana, only Zuul!" I recited the line.

Pete and Lewy both laughed. "That's good, you should totally be Zuul."

"Heck no, I ain't no dog," I frowned.

"I'm kiddin'," he leaned off the crib, "I'm kinda hungry, you want anything?"

"No," I shook my head, "I'm gonna put Lew to sleep and then I'll join you."

"Sure? You need your nausea stuff?"

"I'm good," I smiled, "Thanks."

Pete came over and knelt near Lewy and kissed the top of his head, "Goodnight buddy, I'm sorry about earlier," he whispered.

Lewy grabbed his cheeks and kissed Pete on his nose. "Aw! That was so cute!"

Pete's smiled could've melted buttered. He kissed Lewy back and ruffled his dark hair back, "I love you, too, Lew."

Pete left the room and I began to read Lewy a pop up book. I read bits and pieces before he got tired and fell asleep. For a few minutes I rocked him, just thinking to myself; there was fear seeping through me. I felt like I was getting too old before my time, and I would be stuck like this, in my 20's, rocking babies to sleep.

I love Lewy and I would love my next baby, but I never got to be as stupid and reckless as Pete did. To be honest, it didn't appeal to me, though, I wish I had, had a real choice to. I shook the thought; I was being very selfish then.

I placed Lewy in his crib, covered him and left his room, leaving the door open just a bit. Pete was in the living room, so I went in there, sitting beside him on the couch and eventually laid my head on his shoulder. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, "Feel okay?"

"Yes, you can stop asking."

He kissed the top of my head, "I'm just making sure, I worry."

"Don't worry, I'm okay."

He rubbed my arm, "Good. Have you listened to the CD yet? Andy asked me."

I laughed, "No, not yet. Why does Hurley care?"

"You know him, he's a a believer in poetry of love," Pete kidded.

"He's a smart one," I said, "But, I will listen to it soon...my mind has been elsewhere."

"Why not now?"

I looked up at him, "Alright, I'll go get it."

Pete released me so I could get up; I went to my bedroom, grabbed the CD and my old disc man and returned. Pete snorted, "I haven't seen one of those in years."

"We all can't be hip and have iPods," I smirked.

"I'll buy you one."

"Enough with you buyin' everything," I mumbled, "By the way, I talked to Ricky today and he's gonna buy my car."

Pete frowned, "Ricky?"

"Yes, he's a good dude, Pete," I sat down and popped open the disc man, "I don't know why you don't like him."

"He's a guy and he's around you, that's why I don't like him."

"Jealousy isn't cute."

Pete shook his head, "Just listen to the CD, we'll talk about jealousy later."

"Okay, sassy pants," I scoffed with a laugh.

I put the CD in and then slipped the headphones on. Pete smiled softly, "The first one is called I'm Like A Lawyer."

"Oh, it doesn't have a super long title?" I joked.

"I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off...Me & You," Pete smirked.

"Jesus Christ," I laughed and played the song.

I listened intently while Pete watched me, looking a little worried. I smiled, I loved it, it was catchy and sweet. The words were amazing, so I tried to pay attention to all of it, getting a sense of Pete and how it had to do with me, but it was obvious.

I got butterflies the moment I heard "Me and you, setting in a honeymoon...if I woke up next you." I was wondering if Pete thought the same as I had.

The song ended and another quickly started. Pete bit at his lip, "Hum Hallelujah," he said.

I really liked this one, but it didn't sound like a love song per se. I knew when I heard "The road outside my house is paved with good intentions" that it was for me. Then, with "A teenage vow in a parking lot, till tonight do us part" I was really hoping it was a sign.

Do you know how badly I wanted to finally give that jerk $5 once we walked down the aisle together?

The next song, Pete breathed, "Bang the Doldrums."

"Weird freakin' titles, Pete."

"Can't help it," he smiled cheekily at me.

This song started just like the last, it didn't feel like a love song. The words were clever, as usual, and it didn't make sense until the hook: "Best friends, ex friends till the end. Better off as lovers and not the other way around." My heart caught: "I can't commit to a thing, be it heart or hospital." God, I was holding out for an sign.

Pete began mouthing a part of the song that was his. I smiled, then he sang Patrick's part, softly; "I'd cast a spell on the west to make you think of me the same way I think of you. This is a love song in my own way. Happily ever after below the waist." That last bit made me frown, though.

The next song was one I had actually read the lyrics to. I had heard Patrick sing it, but I wouldn't have guessed it to be a love song. It was called Fame Versus Infamy, or that's what I had read on Pete's pages.

Pete took my hand, "This song is mostly about me talking to you about me."

I raised a brow, but listened; I got it during the second verse. It was true, he was telling me about himself through a song. I didn't think he got himself right, or what thought of him.

The song ended, Pete paused the disc man, "This next one about you and me."

"What's it called?"

He grinned, "I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears and None On My Fingers."

The words were self explanatory. It was completely obvious, between us, that it was about us. The words just rang so clear and brought up a bunch of different memories and feelings in me. I had felt emotion, tearing as I listened to it and then wrapped my arms around him. I kissed him and squeezed my arms around him.

There was a last one that was extremely rough. It sounded like it hadn't had a proper tune to it yet. Pete rubbed my back, humming along to it, "We don't have a title for this one."

"You should call it that."

He shrugged, "Maybe."

I loved everything about you that hurts, so let me see your moves. Lips pressed close to mine, true blue.

"It's about you...how I felt about you when we broke up."

Trade baby blues for wide browns. Sleep with your old shirts and walk through this house in your shoes. I know it's strange. It's a strange way of saying I know I'm suppose to love you, I'm suppose to love you.

I listened and heard a few lines that made me laugh. But, it was all true. The words fit so well, more so than the last, and it made my heart melt.

The CD ended after and I looked at Pete. He gave me an expectant look; "Say anything."

"Anything."

He smiled, "What do you think?"

"You have your way with words."

He chuckled, "Thats it?"

"I dunno what else to say...you leave me speechless," I tweaked my lips, "Do you really walk around in my shoes?"

He laughed, "No, I exaggerated a little. You know I do share shirts with you."

"You won't be able to now that I'm gonna he a huge cow."

Pete kissed me, "You're not nor will you ever be a cow, Navy."

"Oh God, that's a great nickname for me! I'll be as big as Navy Pier once I give birth."

"No you won't," Pete chuckled, "You're perfect the way you are."

I rolled my eyes, "Ass kisser."

Pete laughed again and kissed me, "Yep. So, you like the album?"

I hummed, "Yep, I can't wait to ear the rest."

"You're gonna love it."

•••

I took it easy for the next couple of days I had off. The wavering sickness was slowly being tamed and I could actually go a few hours without throwing up. I didn't bother with much, I only took care of Lewy and let Pete do whatever he wanted.

By the weekend, Ricky had come over to buy my car. Pete had been in the shower when Ricky arrived; Lewy rushed over to him, "Hi!"

Ricky picked him up, "What's up, bud, how are ya?"

"He's good," I shut the door behind Ricky, "How are you, Rick? How's your dad?"

"He's gettin' better," he sat on the couch with Lewy, "He's happy I'm out the house."

"I bet," I sat with him, and then handed him the keys, "I cleaned it up for ya."

He grinned and took the keys, setting Lewy on the floor, "I can stop riding the bus, thanks."

"No problem," Ricky handed me a check, "Take care of her, I've had her as long as I've known you."

He laughed, "Yeah, I know. Speaking of which, where is Pete?"

"Shower. I made him take one since he thinks that he can go more than a week without a shower."

Ricky made a face, "Geez."

"Yeah, I know," I stood, "You wan a drink or somethin'? I just bought some stuff."

"Nah, I wish I could, but I got a date."

I smiled, "Thats awesome, with who?"

"This girl, Hanna. She's smokin' hot."

"Good for you," I patted his shoulder.

"Thanks," he stood with me, "I'm meetin' her at Homer's."

"Tell me how it goes," I told him, "Good luck."

We hugged quickly; just as we did, Pete walked out. His red shirt was damp, and his sweats were shifted on. I almost laughed at how disheveled he looked; he had hurried to get dressed.

"Hey, Pete, this is Ricky, remember?"

Pete just nodded, "Hey, man."

"Hey," Ricky said with a smile, "Thanks for buyin' Naomi a new ride, I've needed a car."

"Yeah, sure," Pete said shortly.

I shook my head at his blatant jealousy. I picked up Lewy, "Ricky's leavin', say bye Lew."

Lewy waved his hand at Ricky, "Bye-bye."

Ricky chuckled and ruffled his hair, "See ya, little dude."

"I'll see ya, Rick," I patted his arm, "Knock her out, man."

He smiled, "Thanks," he jiggled the keys, "Maybe I'll get to first base."

I laughed, "Good luck."

Ricky went out the door and I shut it behind him. I exhaled, "There goes my first baby. I hope Rick takes care of it."

I sat with Pete, who looked lost in his head. I waved my hand in his face and set Lewy in his lap. Pete looked up; "I know that look, Peter."

"What look?" He asked, looking at Lewy.

"You're so jealous."

He frowned, "Yeah, so?"

"You shouldn't be jealous, Ricky is just my friend...practically the only friend I got left around here. Bilvy and Carden is out on tour and you and the guys are gonna be super busy this next year. He, B and Kate are the only ones who really stuck around, so don't even think that we're ever gonna do anything."

"I can't help the way I feel, alright?" Pete mumbled.

"Yes, alright," I patted his cheek, "Stop being all pouty, it's not cute."

He smiled, "Sure."