This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

Hell or glory; I don't want anything in between

I was a lot calmer when I got to my parents. My dad was waiting for me, he had grabbed me, gently, and looked me over. He hugged me then, "Are you alright?"

"Not really, but I'm calm now, dad."

He rubbed my back and let me go, "The baby kicked, they alright?"

"I think so," I exhaled, "I need to sit down."

"Come on, Lewy is coloring with Abbey in the living room."

My dad placed his hand on my back and guided me to the living room. I sat on the couch and Lewy got up, "Hi mommy!"

I smiled, "Hi bubba, did you have fun today?"

"Yes!" He exclaimed and rushed over to me.

I picked him up and set him in my lap, "I missed you so much, baby."

He giggled, "Love you."

I kissed his cheek, "I love you, too."

"Naomi," my dad grabbed my attention, "What did they say?"

I shook my head, sighing, "That it was protocol. He said that since I was going on maternal leave anyway, that it wouldn't make a difference."

"That ain't right," my dad cursed, "Look, I'll help--"

"Dad, it's okay, I still got some money saved up for a bit," I shut my eyes and coursed my hair, "Fu---fudge."

"Hey," my dad began, "I need a secretary. You can come work for me, it pays more than teachin' does, and you'll work less."

"Dad, you don't need to do that."

"No, but I don't feel like lookin' for a trustworthy employee when I have a smart unemployed daughter," he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed the top of my head.

"Thanks, dad, I really appreciate it."

"I told ya I'd help with whatever you need."

"Can I stay over tonight? I don't really wanna go home."

"Yeah, sure," he stood up, "I was gonna order takeout, want anything particular?"

"No, whatever is fine."

"Alright," my dad patted my back and went off to get his phone.

Abbey rolled over and looked at me, "Are you okay, Navy?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, honey," I set Lewy down.

"You were cryin'," she stated.

"Because I lost my job, Abbey," I explained softly, "Thats why."

"You're not gonna be a teacher no more?"

"I want to, just not for awhile."

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's okay, honey...I'll be okay."

"Promise?" She asked with a small saddened tone.

"Yes, I promise," I nodded.

"Good," she smiled at me.

•••

My time home was probably the best time I had to myself. Losing my job had put me in a tough spot, but I was a lot more relaxed. I spent the week with Lewy and with my family, but most of all, I got to laze around and actually relax the way I should.

On a Saturday, while bathing Lewy, I got a call on my phone. I saw the name Robert pop up and I was confused at first until I remembered when I was breaking down and that nice, handsome guy had talked to me. I answered swiftly, watching Lewy splash in the tub, "Hello?"

"Hey, is Naomi there? I'm Robert."

I chuckled to myself, "This is Naomi. Hello Robert."

He exhaled happily, "Oh, good, I was kinda nervous about waiting to talk to you."

"Why?"

"I was afraid I was interrupting or somethin'."

"No, I'm just watching my son splash in the tub."

"I forgot you're a mom. How old is he?"

"He's 20 months," I scoffed, "He'll be 2 in May."

"And you said you were pregnant, right?"

"Yep, I'm due in March."

"Geez, you and your husband are busy."

I hummed, "No husband. No boyfriend, just a baby daddy I can't seem to shake. Anyway, uh, you're callin' to check up on me, aren't you?"

"Yeah, how are you?"

"Uh, I'm okay...rolling with the punches as my old man says. How are you?"

"I was worried about you, I wasn't sure when to call, I didn't want to bother you."

"I've been resting, I need to, I've been a little stressed out lately."

"Do you need anything? I'm still willing to help you if you need it."

"I'm good, thank you. My dad is letting me work as his secretary this Monday, and I'll be back on my feet until the end of February."

"That's awesome," he said happily, "I'm happy for you. I felt really bad when I saw you crying out at the park."

I bit at my lip, "I just needed to cry, I had held in too much."

"So, you're all better?"

"Not fully, but I'm gettin' there."

"I hope it isn't too forward of me to stay in touch with you. I just...I dunno, I'd like to know how you're doing."

I bit at my lip, "Thats very kind of you, Rob...I, uh, I've never really had anyone want to keep in touch just for finding me crying."

He chuckled, "Consider this a first."

"Okay, then I'll more than likely talk to you again?"

"Yes, unless you don't want to."

We both laughed, "It's fine, I could probably use the company. I'm not all that popular 'round here anymore."

"That sounds like a story."

"Oh, you have no idea. I have a million of 'em."

Rob and I talked a bit more before hanging up. I finished up Lewy's bath and took him to his room to dry him up and put him in his PJs. His bedroom was a little cramped with the crib and the bassinet and the toys Mrs. Wentz had bought. Babette was the one who went crazy with the clothes, claiming I would be having another boy, so she went crazy with blue. B said she could just tell it would be a boy.

I wasn't sure what I would be having, I didn't really think about it too much. My dad and Mr. Wentz were hoping it was a boy, while Mrs. Wentz, Amy, Hilary, Andrew and Abbey all rallied in for it to be a girl. I was kinda hoping it was a boy, too, just because I love Lewis and another little him would be awesome. Plus, all the handy-me-downs I had would be perfect.

I took Lewy into the living room to give him some milk in his sippy cup and to watch some TV. I sat with him, trying to get in a comfortable position with him until he whined and looked at my belly. Lewy hated it because he couldn't lie on me anymore.

"I'm sorry, bub," I pushed his hair back.

He sighed, "Mommy! Sleep!"

I smiled, "Can't sleep on my tummy, remember?"

He pouted and then laid his head on my belly. I laughed, "Okay, that works."

I sat back, letting Lewy rest on the top of my stomach; I was able to rub his back and roll my fingers in his curly hair. It was comfortable; I had to move once he had fallen asleep, so I got up, taking him with me and put him in his crib. I knew we'd be switching to a bed soon, because he was getting too big for the crib and he loved sleeping in my bed.

I went to my room and got into my bed; I don't sleep as well as I should. The baby kicked a lot, and it was a bitch sleeping on my back and on my side. What I wouldn't give to sleep on my stomach.

•••

I started working for my dad in his company's office, taking appointments and setting up meetings for new properties. Though it was winter, it was a light one, and my dad's construction company had gain a lot of new hirers.

I was also in charge of meeting potential workers. Guys who worked seasonal, and men who just got released from prison or jail who needed a job. My dad usually hired those guys and they were always so nice and hard working. I was okay with meeting them, but my dad had warn me that there were some bad eggs. Just as I got settled in for my second week, a familiar face walked in.

Eric Johnson. My eyes widened a bit when I saw him; last I heard, he had moved to New York to get away from dealing with Kate and Julian. He looked the same, just graver, a lot older, his dark hair was buzz cut, and he had a tattoo on his neck.

"Oh, wow," he said shortly, "Naomi, you work for your old man?"

"Yes," I answered, "What're you doin' here?"

"I need a job," he said, "Kate told me your dad's always hiring parolees."

"You talked to Katy? Are you seeing Julian?"

Eric sighed, coming towards my desk and slipping his résumé towards me, "Yeah, I am, I need a job to support him."

I took the paper and looked it over, "I just make the list of workers, I don't actually hire them."

"Yeah, just try and help, would ya?"

I scoffed, "Help you? Why should I?"

"Oh, c'mon, you're still holdin' a grudge against me?"

"Holding a grudge against you is like me drinking poison and expecting you to die. No, I just don't forgive or forget, I don't think about you or wish harm towards you."

"Hey," he leaned in, "I did you a favor. Kate told me how you didn't want to end up like her."

"I never said that!" I exclaimed.

"Sure you did," he leaned back, "Pete told her what you said, and she told me. Why do you think she hasn't talk to you in awhile?"

I frowned, "So when did he supposedly tell her this?"

Eric shrugged and then hummed, "After he fucked her, I guess."

I rolled my eyes, "You think you can get under my skin, Eric? You should be kissing my ass, you need a job, right?"

"I'm tellin' you some truth, Naomi," he smiled sleazily.

"I'm not even with Pete--"

"You were when he was sleepin' around with Kate."

I didn't let it show that he was upsetting me.

"You mustn't want a job, do ya, Eric?"

He looked me up and down, "He knock you up again?"

"What're you doin' here?" I was highly annoyed.

"A job."

"You're goin' the wrong way about it, Eric," I exasperated.

"Hey, I think I should just tell ya the truth, Naomi. Who knows if Julian is mine or Pete's," he snickered.

"Julian looks exactly like you, he's like your friggin' twin," I rubbed my neck, "Look, if you leave right now and don't tick me off, I might be able to get you something."

Eric just shook his head, "Yeah, sure."

"Don't be a jerk."

He smiled, smirking at me, "I'll see ya, Naomi."

I flipped him off as he left.

I sat there for a moment after he was gone, in silence. I thought about what Eric said, hating how it just egged at me. I wouldn't put it past Pete sleeping with one of my friends, but not Kate. Kate wouldn't do that, she didn't even like Pete. But, who knows...I'd have to ask her, I would know if she was lying to me.

Shaking off Eric's visit, I returned to work until my dad had come in to lock up and take me home. He came in casually, getting coffee, "How was work?"

"It was slow, you got 2 new workers and some property to view in Peoria."

My dad chuckled, "Wow, you're on it."

"It was pretty slow, dad," I stood up, "There's one guy in here that I went to high school with, his name is Eric...he's Kate's son's father."

"Hmm? Ain't he the one that walked out?"

I nodded, "Yeah. Look, dad, he, ya'know, is a dick, but I think he's takin' care of Julian, so go easy on him."

My dad sipped his coffee, "I only care if he's a hard worker."

"Well, he worked for his dad at his hardware shop and went to jail for identity theft, spent 2 years in there and just got out," I handed him Eric's résumé, "I dunno, you make the call."

He took the sheet and nodded, "In the morning I'll see if I got room. Lets get home, kid."

"For sure."


My dad dropped me off at apartment where Babette was watching Lewy for me. I got home and found her there playing peek-a-boo with him. He was laughing his head off, but he paused when he saw me; "Mommy! Hi mommy!"

I smiled, waving at him as he got up from the floor, "Hi bubba! I missed you."

He rushed over and I picked him up, as best I could and kissed his face. He giggled, "Mommy, stop!"

I laughed and ruffled his hair back, "I love you, bub."

B got up and came over, "We had a lot of fun today, right, Lew?"

He nodded excitedly, "Yeah."

"I fed him and changed his diaper. Uh, he took a nap and then we played for a bit. That's pretty much it; he wanted to go out in the snow."

I shook my head, looking at Lewy, "No way, you'll get sick."

He scrunched up his face, "Hey!"

I kissed his cheek and set him down, "Go play, I'll join you in a minute."

He hummed and went over to his toys. B sighed happily, "He is a lot of fun."

"Yeah, I know," I smiled, "Any mishaps?"

"Nope, he's pretty much active, but he hasn't hurt himself."

"Thanks for this, B," I grabbed my bag to pay her, "Is $20 okay?"

"Naomi, you are not going to pay me," she said sternly, "You've done a lot for me back when I was just a makeup girl, and I'm going to pay you back by helping babysit my Godson."

I smiled, "Are you sure, Babe?"

"I'm positive," she smiled and hugged me, "I've gotta go pick up Chris, but we'll hang later, okay? And don't worry about paying me."

I nodded as we parted, "Okay, B."

She turned and knelt to Lewy, "Bye Lewy Bear, I'll see ya soon."

He smiled and waved his hand at her, "Bye-Bye B."

She cooed, kissing his head, "Kick ass, little guy."

He giggled as B got up and said a final goodbye before leaving. I locked the door behind her and went to my bedroom, "Mommy's gonna change, Lew!"

"'Kay!" He said; that was his new word for things he didn't know how to respond to. Hilary taught it to him during Christmas.

I had laughed and changed into pajama pants and a sweatshirt. I had looked in the mirror and saw my baby kick slightly, maneuvering in my belly. The kicks weren't painful, more sore than anything. I couldn't wait until they were here; I couldn't wait to meet them and see what they were. Most of all, I was tired of being pregnant; the throwing up and the weird cravings were hell.

I felt as if I had been pregnant forever. Plus, I was wondering what Pete would be excited for. I had wondered if he wanted a boy or girl, and what he would like to name then. Just as I thought of this, the thought of him sleeping with Kate filled my head. I hope he wasn't that much of an asshole to do that to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a lot to say and to shamelessly plug! :)

Please go read and comment these wonderful stories:
Zero Zero
Timeline
Heavy Hearts and Tragic Minds
Deadliest Weapons
Strictly Business
(really go read anything lady_enigma writes because she's amazing and she's super awesome)

And, to all who wonder who Robert is this is him (Robert Schwartzman). He was in the original and I wanted to bring him back cuz I think he's adorable.
Also, I apologize for the lack of Pete, but he'll be back! What do you think of the little twist in there?

xoali