This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

Loaded words and loaded friends are loaded guns to our heads

It was the beginning of February when I saw Kate. She and I hadn't seen much of each other in awhile, due to her being busy, as well as myself. When we did see each other it was quick, because she worked 2 jobs. Chris and B sometimes babysat Julian; now that Eric was back and working for my dad, Kate could quit one of her jobs. I was actually at work when she had come in unexpectedly.

"Hey, long time no see!" Kate waved as she came in.

I smiled back at her, but suddenly, Eric's words filled my head. I wanted to ask, but I held back. "Hey, how are you?"

"I'm doing much better now that Eric's actually helping," she exhaled, "I came to see you and thank you."

"Thank me?"

She nodded, "Yeah, thanks for giving Eric a job."

"My dad did it, I don't hire anyone, I'm just the secretary."

"Anyway, still thanks if you didn't say anything negative."

"I'd never do that, I know that supporting your kid is the only thing that matters. How is Julian?"

"He's a lot happier that Eric's here. He has a daddy now."

I smiled, "Thats great."

"How are you? B says that you're due any day now."

"Nah, not until March."

"You don't look that big," she giggled, "You're still keeping it a secret?"

I nodded, "Yep. My dad wants me to have a boy so I can name him Valentino."

She laughed, "For real?"

"Yes, my dad is crazy."

"What's been up with you and Pete?"

I sighed, "Uh, we're not talking right now."

"You'll be talking again soon."

I rolled my eyes at the thought, "You're probably right. I can't ever say no to him."

"You're both suckers for each other."

I hummed, shaking my head. That's when I saw this look on her face; she looked like she wanted to say something, but wouldn't. I narrowed my eyes a bit, "Kate, what's up?"

She sat in the chair next to my desk, "Did Eric come in here a few weeks back and bother you?"

I knew where she was going. I didn't beat around the bush, "Is it true?"

Her brows raised and then she looked down, "It was only twice."

My eyes widened, "When?" The word shot out.

Kate sighed, "Way back when..." She trailed.

"Were he and I together?"

She bit her lip, "Yeah, but it--"

I cut her off, "Are you serious? Why?"

She shrugged and stood, "I dunno, it just happened."

"When?" I questioned again.

"This party 5 years ago, you were at home with a broken hand, remember?"

I felt my lips curl angrily, "For real?"

"It wasn't anything, really--"

"Then why did you do it?"

"We were drunk, I wasn't really thinking. I had just had Julian and I was all fucked up about it."

"And the second time?"

She blinked, "Nay, it wasn't--"

"The second time, Katy?" I asked louder, over her.

She swallowed, "4 Years ago, almost exactly, when you guys broke up, right before Take This To Your Grave was released."

"Why?"

"I dunno, we just did it. I'm sorry, Naomi, it wasn't anything, I swear."

I just looked at her; the words hadn't hit me. It was like nothing, but as I thought about it, it began to hurt. "I think you should go, Kate."

"Naomi, please don't be angry with me. I am so sorry--"

"Kate," I cut her off angrily, "Leave. Just leave right now, okay?"

"He's slept with a bunch of girls," she said hotly, "What's so different?"

"You were my friend!" I exclaimed, "You were my best friend. And you slept with Pete, knowing exactly how I felt about him. How could you?"

"Naomi, it was nothing," Kate said loudly, "Nothing at all! Can you just--"

"No, I can't just do anything. Now leave!"

Kate's jaw slacked, "Okay, I'll go, Naomi...I'm sorry--"

"Go," I growled.

She shut her eyes, exhaled and turned to leave the office. Moments after she was gone, I found myself crying; not bawling, only thick tears rolling down my face. I rubbed them away, as soon as the phone rang, and cleared my throat, "Valentino Construction," I said clearly.

"Hey kid," my dad spoke, "We're takin' an early day off. I'll be there soon, so put everything away."

"Why?" I rubbed my eyes and fought the urge to sniff.

"Because there's a blizzard coming tonight, we're gonna get some stuff at your house and have you and Lewis stay over."

"Okay," I hummed, "I'll be ready when you get here."

"Alright, I'll be there in a few."

I hung up with my dad and gathered everything. I was busying myself to keep my mind occupied. It was tragically inevitable that I would not entertain the idea of screaming at Pete, but I had to be calm. Plus it was stupid of me to even wanna yell at him, but I believe I had every right to scream at him. I wouldn't sleep with any of his friends, I wasn't like his exes, I would never do Pete that way, but apparently I was expendable.

"Naomi," my dad entered, ushering my thoughts away, "Ready?"

"Yeah," I answered, "Who has Lewis?"

My dad exhaled, "Uh, Pete's here, so Dale picked him an hour ago."

"Are they keeping him?" I asked.

"Yeah," my dad nodded, "Unless you wanna--"

"No, no. I just wanna see Lewis when we drop his stuff off."

My dad agreed and then we locked up, leaving. The snow was coming down hard, the blizzard would last probably a night or 2. I didn't want to leave Lewis over at the Wentzs for so long; I knew I'd miss him. Also, I was so pissed off with Pete, I wanted to make him suffer. Being spiteful is something I never had been, but I was beginning to feel it just because my emotions were on high.

I shut my anger off to pack some stuff; my dad went around my house, checking the vents, turning off the water and then we left. My heart was beating rapidly as we neared the Wentzs'. Seeing Pete was gonna make me angry, explode, I just knew it, but I begged myself to hold it in.

My dad parked out front and then helped me out, making sure I didn't slip. The door opened just as we got to the porch, and Mrs. Wentz helped me in, "Hi honey!"

"Hi, Mrs. Wentz," I exhaled, my teeth chattering a bit, "Where's my baby?"

"He's in here with Pete."

I bit my tongue and followed her; I heard Pete laughing and Lewy giggling, squealing. I smiled wide when I saw him riding Hemingway, "Bubba! Look at you!"

Lewis's eyes went wide, "Mommy, looky!"

Hemingway waddled over to me with Lewy on his back and I knelt, "Hemy, I missed you, too," he licked my face. "And Bubba, have you been having fun with Hemy?"

"Uh-huh! I love him."

I picked Lewy off Hemy's back and looked him over; he had a little bit of food on his face, "Are you good?"

He nodded, shaking his hair, "Daddy's 'ere!"

"I saw him," I wiped his face with my sweatshirt sleeve, "You wanna stay with him tonight?"

Lewy frowned a bit then shook his head. I frowned back, "Oh, why not?"

"I wan' go with you," he said softly.

"Daddy missed you lots, Lew, don't you wanna stay and play? Mommy's gonna be tired, ya'know, the baby makes me sleepy."

Lewy looked at Pete, then at me, "'Kay."

I kissed him, "I love you. I'll be here tomorrow to pick you up."

He hugged me and then touched my belly. I smiled, threading his hair through my fingers, "Be a good little dude, okay?"

He giggled and nodded, walking back towards Pete. I got up slowly and handed his bag to Pete, who was sitting on the floor. He tweaked his lips at me, "Hey, can I talk to you later?"

I raised a brow, "About?"

"I need a favor."

I laughed sardonically, "You're the last person to ask me for a favor."

"I'm serious," he said shortly, "Please?"

"What is it?"

"I'll tell ya tomorrow."

I shook my head, "Whatever," I kissed the top of Lewy's head, "See you tomorrow, bub."

He waved his hand at me, "Bye-bye."

I left with my dad soon after, heading to his house. Amy was cooking and Abbey was coloring. I sat on the floor with her, minding my stomach.

"Navy," she said as she turned her head to look at me, "Where's Lewis?"

"He's with Pete," I told her.

"Pete's here?" She looked excited, "Can I see him?"

"It's gonna snow hard, maybe tomorrow when I got pick Lewy up."

"Okay," she handed me her crayon box, "Wanna color?"

I laughed, "Yeah, sure."

Abbey hummed and then asked me, "Do you still like Pete?"

"Yes, I do," I replied, "Why?"

"Cuz he's not around no more."

"Pete's not happy with me, Abbey, it's not my fault."

"He don't like you?"

I sighed, "I dunno, you have to ask him."

"Daddy says he's mean to you...is he mean to you?"

I looked at her, "Sometimes, that's just because he's always in a grumpy mood, you know?"

"He's not mean to me."

I smiled, "Thats because you aren't his girlfriend."

She giggled, "You're his girlfriend?"

"Not all the time."

"Do ya love him, Navy?"

I hummed, "Yes. I love Pete. I'll always love Pete."

Abbey grinned, "Forever?"

I laughed, "Yes, forever."

Thinking of that, suddenly, reminded me that he slept with Kate. My heart suddenly slipped down into my gut, having my baby kick. I sighed and rubbed my belly; I was going to cry again.

"Navy?" Abbey called to me, "Are you okay?"

I looked at her and nodded, "Yeah, the...baby is just kicking a little hard."

She pouted, "When is it comin' out of there?"

"Soon," I exhaled, "Hopefully."
♠ ♠ ♠
Aside from all the drama
What do you think Naomi is having? Boy or girl?