This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

You are what you love, not who loves you

I got home the next afternoon; my dad put me under strict orders to relax on the couch and watch TV. He was babying me, to which I detested, but I had to listen to him. Lewy was napping in Abbey's room while Abbey was with me watching TV. Amy stayed with me to cook, another thing I didn't like for her to do when she had other important things to do. I was shut down every time I said I could do things by myself.

I did, however, get to play, feed, change and bathe Lewy. He was happy to see me, as I was him. I kissed his face and tickled him, spending the entire day unwinding with Lewy.

I was still feeling bad about the whole mess with Kate and Chris, along with Babette. I more than wish I hadn't of bothered over it, if I couldn't take back not knowing. I wasn't sure if B would ever forgive me, as if it were my fault though; I missed my friend, she was like the only one I had left. I had Ricky left, which was nice, but Ricky wasn't Babette, he hasn't been through all the tangles with Pete like she has with me. I thought maybe I could open up to Ricky more, but I didn't want another mess happening; I was going to have to keep my mouth shut.

When the snow really let up, my dad let me go back to my apartment. While there, I had wondered if I could actually go up and talk to B. I really wanted to, but I wasn't in the mood to climb stairs in the snow, and my dad really wanted me to go back home with him. So, I had packed up some things, baby stuff, and returned back to my parents; my dad really wanted me to move back.

"It'll be good," he said, "You won't be alone."

I had thought about it, but I refused. I didn't want to be burdened in their home. And, then Mrs. Wentz asked me to move in with them.

I had been over, visiting with Lewy, when she had asked. She made me some lunch; "We all worry about you, Naomi," Mrs. Wentz exhaled softly, "I just want to help, too."

"You don't need to help," I said softly, "I'm okay."

"You're by yourself a lot, you're gonna need the help," she pointed out.

"I'll be fine," I told her, "I'll stay with you if you want me to, for a little while."

She smiled, "I want you to, I wanna help you through handling two little ones so close in age."

"Like Pete and Hilary were?"

She nodded, "Yep. It was tough, I think it was because Pete wanted all of my attention."

I rolled my eyes at the thought, "He always wants someone's attention."

Mrs. Wentz tweaked her lips, "Are you two ever going to work things out?"

I sighed, "I try to, but Pete's such a jerk. He tries to blame everything he does on everything else around him, when he should just be honest and say he does it because he wants to."

"My son is hardheaded. I'm sorry he's such an idiot most of the time."

"No, it's okay...I always feel like I'm doin' something wrong."

"You aren't," she shook her head, "It's Pete's own insecurities, the way he's living with everyone thinking how great he is. Don't get me wrong, Pete is a good person, but it doesn't take a million people to tell him that."

"He gets a big head," I mumbled.

"Also, you guys had Lewy, which also puts him in a predicament of being too young to be a father and wanting to provide."

"Providing for his son shouldn't involve sleeping around," I spat to myself.

Mrs. Wentz got quiet, her brows shot up, "Oh."

I coursed my hair back, "Sorry...that's the main problem between us."

"Have you ever cheated on him?" She asked.

"No," I shook my head, "Never. Pete knows I haven't, but he doesn't even take into consideration that I would never treat him the way he treats me."

"Then it's good that you two aren't together, give him somethin' to think about."

"He's already got a new girlfriend. That's why Hemy's here."

Her jaw slacked, "Are you kidding me?"

"No."

"That little..." She trailed. "I'm gonna kill him."

I laughed, "It's okay, I like having Hemy, Lewy loves him."

Hemy spent the majority of the time at the Wentzs. Mr. Wentz offered to take care of him for me until I could actually look after a dog and kids. I couldn't wait until I could actually do all of that.

"You take this all in stride," Mrs. Wentz gave me a look, "You can vent, Naomi, if you don't like it. I wouldn't like it if you kept all your anger in; we don't want you to hurt yourself or the baby."

I rubbed my neck, "I think it's stupid that Pete brought Hemingway all the way back here just because his girlfriend doesn't like him. It's fucking dumb," I growled under my breath, "And, I mean...he never did anything like that for me."

"Don't worry about him, honey," she patted my hand, "Just think about your kids."

"I am. Sometimes, I can't help but to think about him. He gets one way towards me and I'm all in love with him again. It's really annoying."

Mrs. Wentz smiled, "You love him, Naomi, it's gonna be hard to not think about that."

"I know."

I finished up eating and went to go sit with Lewy. Mr. Wentz was off at work, Mrs. Wentz was in and out a lot, she worked at private school as a counselor, which surprised me because of Pete. His mother worked with kids who were like him, who had problems just like him, but she hadn't known how to deal with Pete when he was a teenager. Pete never told his mom why he was always acting up, and she couldn't ever get him to sit and talk. It was an odd place to be in.

I had decided since I was supposed to be stress free that I wouldn't talk to Pete much. I didn't want to be pulled into his whirlwind, I couldn't afford my health to. I needed to be by myself, single, so I could take care of our kids. Plus, we weren't ever going to get back together, I knew that. Pete just ruined it all for me; him sleeping with my friend just made me not want to see him.

Despite all the sweet talk, I know he wasn't gonna change. It'd be the coldest day in hell when Pete would change. I couldn't trust him, and God knows I really wish I could.

•••

My swollen feet had me grounded at the Wentzs for the second week of March. My due date was coming closer and closer, and so far, I had done nothing but eat and go to the bathroom. I was like a hamster in a cage.

I had nowhere to go, I had no one really to talk to, except Ricky and Robert. Robert called me every so often to check on how I was, and we'd usually end up talking all day, until he had to go. Ricky would visit and bring me junk food that Mrs. Wentz had banned. I had spoken to William, after he had visited for a show at the Metro. He had come to see me, just for a few minutes, before he had to go.

He had gotten so much taller than I remembered and I had introduced him to Lewis. I had forgotten how much I missed them until he was gone again; I missed all my friends. My short visit with William, I only gotten to tell him good things and how happy I was for him, that I was proud of him, Carden and the rest of the band.

When he was gone, I just realized how much I was dissatisfied of what I'd become. I had decided that once my baby was born, I was gonna try and get a better job and get the hell out of this funk I was in. I couldn't rule under Pete's thumb anymore.

And, when Pete arrived, I was still at his parents', sleeping in his bedroom. Lewy and I pretty much took up the entire space; it was clean, but there was no space for my clothes, so I had set them on his desk. I slept in the bed, after having washed the sheets, and pillow cases. I took over the room, me, the baby and my gross feet and body. Lewy spent most of his time downstairs with Mrs. Wentz while I slept; I was sleeping when Pete had arrived.

He had been sitting at the edge of the bed, his hand tickling the bottom of my foot. I had accidentally kicked him, afraid that it had been Lewis, "Oh, I'm sorry!" I shot up, but all I saw was Pete, laughing.

"Goddamn you," I hissed as I sat up, "Why the hell were you tickling me?"

He laughed, "Thought I'd wake you up."

"Fuck off, I was sleeping! I thought you were Lewis," I sighed deeply and fell back against the pillows.

"I'm sorry," he kidded, scooting closer to me, "How are you?"

"Everything hurts and I feel like God is punishing me by making me pregnant forever."

He laughed, "You aren't gonna be pregnant forever."

"You don't know anything," I grumbled, "Leave me alone."

Pete scooted closer, his hand fell onto my hip, "Where does it hurt?"

"Everywhere. Back off."

"I wanna help," he said softly, his hand rubbing my belly.

"No you don't, you wanna make me miserable."

Pete continued to rub, gently, "No I don't, I wanna help."

I gave a soft sigh, and sat up slowly, "Move it."

He got up and helped me; just as I got to my feet, I felt it, that sharp pain in my pelvis. I dropped the blanket and groaned; Pete grabbed me just before I fell forward, "Shit, Naomi--"

Pete was cut off by my scream and the small sound of my water breaking on the hardwood flooring.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still not sure; boy or girl?
What do you think?