This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

Blame everyone but me for this mess

I was in and out of sleep the rest of the morning. At 10, Pete had taken Lewy over to his parents' so he could spend some time with him. My folks had gone to work, so it was just Abbey, Benji and myself; Benji was quiet, swaddled happily in my arms as I watched TV. As the hours past, there came a knock on the door; I had to stop Abbey from running and opening it; "Just color, it's probably Pete with Lewis."

She hummed and sat back down; I set Benji in his swinger and went to the door. I hissed at the pain in my back; I was feeling sore all over. I opened the door just as the person on the other end knocked again.

I was surprised to see both Ricky and Robert; my brows rose, "Holy...whoa, what are you guys doin' here?"

They followed in as soon as I stepped aside, minding their feet on the welcome mat; "I ran into Rob at Cubano's Tacos and he asked me if I had seen you yet," Ricky answered, "I brought him over."

I blushed slightly as I face him, "Uh, okay, well, come in and meet Benji."

"I was meaning to come and see you," Ricky went on, "But I've been swamped."

"It's cool," I shook my hair back, "Thanks for coming. You, too Rob."

He waved it off, "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"Just fine, I'm a little sore, but it's not too bad."

I led them into the living room, and picked up Benji, "Abbey, you remember Ricky?"

She looked up, "Hi. Who's that guy?"

We all shared a small laugh, "That's Robert, he's a new friend of mine."

Abbey narrowed her eyes at him, "I know you!"

Rob smiled, "Uh, most girls know me."

"You kissed the princess!" She exclaimed.

He nodded, "Yeah, I did."

She smiled sweetly, "Are you gonna kiss Navy?"

I rolled my eyes, "Not funny, Abbey."

She giggled, "You can be a princess, Navy."

I shook my head, "Don't mind her, she's 5," I told Rob.

He just shrugged and sat on the floor with her, "I don't mind. It's nice meeting you, Abbey."

She smiled at him, her cheeks blushing. I shook my head at this, sitting on the couch with Ricky; "This here is Benjamin Wentz."

Ricky smirked, "I've heard about him."

"What have you heard?"

"Not much, just that Pete was in the hospital room all night."

"He was," I said with a slight shrug, "He has Lewis right now."

I let Ricky hold Benji, who was going back to sleep. Ricky noticed the big resemblance to Pete, "Gross, he looks just like Wentz."

I laughed, "Yeah, I know."

"That's fuckin--"

I cut him off, "Cool it with the cussin', I don't want Abbey to start saying them."

He raised a brow, "I think she found her first boyfriend, she ain't payin' no attention to me."

I looked over at Abbey heavily engrossed in coloring and talking to Rob, Rob talked back joyously. I smiled, I guess she did have a crush on Rob; she wasn't even this talkative with Pete. "That's cute."

"Like I was sayin'," Ricky spoke dramatically, "It's fuckin' crazy how much Benji looks like him. He should be Pete Jr."

"He'd be the fourth."

"Whatever, you know what I mean," Ricky chuckled.

Ricky visited for a short while before his dad called him, wanting his help at home. I hugged him goodbye and I was left with enthusiastic Abbey and Rob. I was a little shocked at how happy he was just talking to her.

Abbey finally asked me to get her something to eat; Rob followed me into the kitchen to help. He didn't need to, but I didn't protest; "So," he began, sitting himself at the counter, "You're the Naomi I've heard about."

I raised a brow, "You've heard of me?"

"Yeah, I've heard about Pete Wentz's mysterious girlfriend before."

I blushed, "I'm not his girlfriend...I think Lewy's been alive longer than we've ever been together."

"How'd you meet him? You a fan?"

I began to get stuff out to make a grilled cheese; "Uh, well...I've known Pete since I was 16 and he was 21, we were friends before anything and when I was 18, we sort of just started dating...I've always had a soft spot for Pete."

He tilted his head, "I wouldn't have ever guessed."

"Why?"

"You don't look like his type."

"Well, you don't need much to be Pete's type," I scoffed, "You just need one thing."

"And what's that?"

"You gotta be willing to open your legs."

"He cheated on you?" Rob asked.

I nodded, moving at a fluid pace, "Yeah...we'd been off and now for about 5 years. We're off and we're gonna stay off."

"I heard he's dating some reality star," Rob said absentmindedly.

"I know, I hope he stays with her. He needs someone to snap his ass into shape."

"I think you would've been the one to do it."

"I've tried, believe me...you don't know the stuff I did for that idiot," I sighed at the thought, "It's really hard to explain and too fuzzy to actually tell."

"It's cool, I was just saying. You guys got 2 kids together?"

"Yep, just Lewis and Benji."

"How is it raising a kid with him?"

"I don't think it'd be any different if he weren't traveling all the time, I just think he'd actually be here and help me. Lewy is just gripping the fact that Pete is daddy and that daddy leaves a lot, so I'm sure it's gonna be hell soon enough."

Rob hummed, "How's it been for you?"

I exhaled, "Uh...not as rough as you'd think. I used to miss Pete, but then we would get into arguments and I would be glad he was away...just because I'm not with him doesn't mean I don't love him and I don't miss him, cuz I do. Him and I have the weirdest relationship, but I know, for sure, that I am not going to deal with that again."

Rob smiled at me, "Good to know you know what you want."

"I just don't want to deal with his messes anymore."

I finished Abbey's food and Rob took it to her while I cleaned up. I was ready to go sit back down when there came another knock at the door. I went over and got it, opening it and throttled a bit when I felt Lewy rush at me.

"Whoa, be careful!" I giggled at Lewy, "Mommy's still sore."

Pete beat his wet feet on the welcome mat, then entered, picking up Lewy, "Hilary told me she was coming over here after she went shopping, she here?"

"No, it's just me and Abbey, and my friend Rob."

Pete's brow raised, "Okay..."

I closed the door behind them, Pete followed me; as we entered, Rob was standing up, "Hey," he said softly, "I gotta head out, Naomi, my brother is lost somewhere near the park."

I nodded, "Alright, thanks for coming over."

"Yeah, no problem," he gave me a quick hug then patted Pete's shoulder, "You got some good lookin' kids dude."

Pete bit his cheek, shifting Lewy on his hip, "Thanks."

"I'll see ya," Rob said, then looked back at Abbey, "I'll see you soon, Abbey."

She smiled and waved, "Bye Rob."

Rob patted Lewy's arm before I saw him out; I returned to the living room and spotted Pete checking on Benji while Abbey and Lewy played. Pete looked over at me as I sat, exhaling, "That was Rob," he stated.

"That was Rob," I said. "Abbey's in love with him."

Pete snickered, "That's weird."

"I like him," Abbey chimed, "He tells funny jokes."

"Ooh," I cooed at Pete, "Rob stole Abbey's heart away from you!"

Pete rolled his eyes, "He's lucky he's gone or I'd have to kick his ass."

I laughed at this; despite Pete being relatively short to most guys, he was small and quick and packed a punch. If he did get in a fight with anyone, you'd bet he'd win. Plus, he's got a razor sharp tongue; if he won't hit you, you'll make you feel like shit.

I thought about this for a moment, remembering all the fights I had witnessed and heard of, when I felt Pete out his hand on my shoulder. I looked at him, "Hmm?"

"I said I'm gonna take Hemy with me," he said, "My mom told me Pandora doesn't really like havin' him around anymore."

I chuckled, "Are you sure?"

"I'm gonna be on tour and I know Dirty can take care of him."

"Okay, are you going to bring him back?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Alright, it's fine with me, as long as Hemingway is okay."

"If I could manage it, I'd bring Lewis with me," he said with a smile.

"No way, I'd miss him too much, and I'd worry, your mom would worry," I said quickly, "It'd be very, very tiresome."

"I just wanna lighten the load for you," Pete replied with a simple shrug, "Oh, man," he turned Benji over a little, "I think he pooped."

"Go change him," I said, "you're daddy, remember?"

Pete got up, heading towards my bedroom, "God, you're lucky I got an iron stomach, little dude, or I wouldn't be doing this."

I laughed softly; Lewy got up, leaving his toys with Abbey and came over to me. He climbed onto the couch and crawled over to me, "Mommy, I'm hungry."

"You're hungry? Didn't daddy feed you?"

"Yes, but I don't like it," he made a face.

I giggled, "Lets go make a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Sound like a good idea?"

He smiled, "Yeah!"

I got off the couch with him, "Abbey, you want anything?"

"Nope," she said, keeping her eyes on her toys.

"Okay."

I took Lewy to the kitchen and let him climb on to the counter. He began to tell me all that he and Pete had done that morning as I make his sandwich. Just as I finished, he looked at me with a frown, silent; "Bubba? What's wrong?"

"Daddy leaves," he pouted.

I pouted back and kissed his cheek, "He'll be back, Lew, I promise. Daddy won't be gone forever, he'd get too sad and he'd miss you and Benji."

Lewy just shrugged. I leaned over and kissed his head, "Don't be sad, bub, daddy loves you, you know."

He nodded slowly; "Hey, am I going to have to tickle you to make you smile?" I asked him in a serious tone of voice.

He smiled, "No!"

I narrowed my eyes playfully, "I think I am."

He was in a for of giggled before my fingers touched his sides. Lewis laughed until he was choking and begging me to stop. I slowed the tickling and kissed his face again, "All better?"

He nodded, "Yes."

I picked him up and set him on the floor, "Okay, lets go eat and see if daddy's done changing Benji."

Lewy went back to the living where Pete was; I took a piece of the sandwich and began to eat. Pete was quiet, watching over the baby. I didn't bug him as to why he was quiet, I relished in it, it was better than him getting angry or annoyed.

•••

Everyone visited the baby a bit during the rest of the afternoon. I was feeling a little sad about the fact that Babette nor Kate were here. I knew that even if I ever talked to them again, things wouldn't be the same.

I had thought of this, and the more I did, the angrier I got. I was mad at Pete, but I held my tongue; I didn't need a fight to ensue. I kept it all in while he was around, but it just floated around my head the whole night.

Just before he had to leave, it was early in the morning, about 6. Lewy was half asleep while Pete said bye to him and Benji was up because he needed to be fed. I was still sore, super tired and angry. Pete had gotten ready to leave when he began to pat his pockets, "I gotta give you some money," he said shortly.

I don't know why that irritated me, but it did. I kept my mouth shut and continued to feed the baby. Pete unexpectedly tossed a was of rolled up money onto the bed beside me, "That's all I have on me right now."

"How much is it?" I asked curiously, "And why do you have it on you like that? Why not put it in your wallet?"

"I remembered last night that I was gonna be in Vegas and took some money out to gamble with."

"Oh, you remember to gamble, but not that you have to support your kids?" I snapped, and I'm not sure why.

He raised a brow, "Andy reminded me..."

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose, "I'm annoyed right now, don't ask," I said.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "That's like $3,000 I think, give or take. I was wasted last night when we went to the ATM."

I held my tongue, again.

"I'll send you some more if you need it, just call me."

"Yeah, okay," I breathed.

"Hey, are you alright?" Pete sat down.

"I'm tired, sore, annoyed and--" I stopped, "I just wanna sleep."

"Go to sleep, Amy's stayin' home today, ain't she? You want me to take the kids to my mom and dad's?"

"No, Pete," I growled, "I just need an hour or something of sleep. I'll be fine."

"I'm just tryna help," he said; he took Benji from me and set him in his bassinet.

I rubbed my temples, "Thanks, but I'm fine, like I said."

"Okay," he got up and knelt near the bassinet and kissed the top of Benji's head, "I'll be back soon."

I laid back in bed; Lewy was asleep beside me with his thumb in his mouth. Pete went over to his side and kissed him, brushed his hair back and then let out a sigh. "He'll be okay?"

"I hope so," I said, rubbing my eyes now.

Pete looked hesitant to leave; I got up and went over, "C'mon, Pete, you can't miss your flight."

He nodded shortly and led the way out my room. At the front door, I gave him a short hug, "I'll see you soon, Naomi," he said against my ear.

"Be careful," I replied.

He gave a nod, kissed the top of my head, opened the door and walked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Pete Wentz is all kinds of cute: Handsome punk