Never Back Down

Snowden.

Without having to work today I was able to sleep in without having to rush around to get to work on time. Now I'll be able to enjoy my afternoon alone doing the things I want to do, like now, as I walk toward my favorite café to enjoy coffee, quite, and a good novel. For me, that is the perfect start to a day.
But as they say, all good things come to an end, too bad my end came before it even started. A groan erupts from deep within while he walks up to me. "What do you want?" I nearly whine, wishing for him to disappear and leave me be.
"Go to lunch with me. That's what I want." His face and posture show him as being confident, but within those icy irises I see the nerves showing. He's not as confident as he's making himself out to be. Just keep pointing out his faults. Maybe you'll feel better, I think to myself sarcastically.
"No," I state, my voice firm. I turn to brush by him; to continue on my journey to the café in hopes of keeping my plans for the day in tact, but he seems to have other plans for me. Andy grabs hold of my arm gently, tugging just enough to force me to face him.
With a pleading look in his eyes he asks, "Just this once, please?"
I take my hat off only to tug on my hair out of complete frustration with him. Letting out a frustrated sigh, I bite my lip before replying, "If I go, just this once, will you leave me alone?" His eyes widen as he nods, as though he's not fully comprehending what I'm saying. "So after this, you'll be gone. No more harassment from you, right?" He nods again, biting his lip in a failed attempt to hide his ever-growing grin. Placing my hat back on my head where it belongs, I run my hands over my face, running everything over in my mind. Will it really be worth it? I ask myself, It will. He'll finally leave me alone! "Fine, let's go," I grunt, pulling him into a random diner nearby. His smiling only growing more with each passing second which irritates me to no end. Yeah, be happy now, I think, because this is a one-time deal.

Seated across from one another, Andy used it to his advantage to stare at me with a smile adorning his lips. I look at the others seated in the diner, noticing all the eyes on our booth; loving stares sent to Andy, and jealous glares thrown my way. I roll my eyes at the pathetic actions of the local residents, and turn my attention back to Andy, only catching the last bit of his questions, "-you like?"
Raising a brow at him in pure confusion, I state, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that."
He lets out a nervous chuckle before repeating his question, "What sort of music do you like?"
"Oh, I really like acoustic and classical, but I will listen to Indie as well," I answer, tapping the table to a random beat.
"Jinxx listens to classical," he states. I reply with a nod whilst readjusting my glasses.
"He was the one that looked like a jester, right?" I ask, causing Andy to raise his eyebrow and look at me odd. I purse my lips and nod, "Right, never-mind." An awkward silence falls over us just as our waiter sets our food down. A look a relief flashes in Andy's eyes at the distraction, I just mentally roll my eyes at how cliché this is all turning out to be.
We eat in silence for a bit before Andy breaks it with another question, "Have you ever left Ashwood?" Normally a question like this would irritate me as it is none of anyone's business, but the way he asked, how his tone held nothing but pure curiosity and interest, made it a fair question.
"Never. One day I plan to travel, but I know I would come back. This is my home, I never want to be anywhere else." He nods in understanding as he takes a sip of his drink.
"Where would you like to travel?"
I bite my lip and think- really think about his question. I, like everyone else, have many places I would adore to see one day, but where is it that I really want to go? "Worldwide, I'd really like to visit London, or Paris. I want to see if they're really as wondrous as everyone has made them out to be. Nationally, I'd like to go to Florida or Hawaii. Maybe even Alaska." He laughs as I mention Alaska before asking why Alaska. "Well," I respond, "why not? It would be different, and I think it's the purest of all states."
Another smile graces Andy's lips as a look of content coats his features all of which causing a sigh to pass my lip and my eyes to shut in irritation. I don't want to have to point it out to him, again, but if I don't, I risk the chance of him believing false assumptions. "You know that," I pause, trying to find the right wording. Andy stares, a flash of fear in his bright blues. "Nothing is going to happen between us, Andy. I really hope you realize this. I'm not trying to be rude as you'd been--slightly--pleasant this whole time, but this," I say, motioning to Andy and I, "is going nowhere." He nods again, his face falling; his eyes glazed with sorrow and a slight frown now on his lips.
"I kind of figured," he whispers with disappointment coating his voice.
It had to be done, I tell myself.
"Wha-" he pauses, nibbling his lip for a moment before continuing, "Why don't you like me?" I motion to our waiter for the check, contemplating my words for the answer to his question.
"If you're ever in town again, I'll tell you." I gather my things, pay the check, and walk out of the diner. I will give him one thing, I think as I leave, he didn't make things entirely awkward.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh, not entirely what I was thinking, but it works.
Thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing. [:

xxBryy