‹ Prequel: Whole New Meaning

Into the Storm

Moving Walls

I don't think the labyrinth likes me having calm moments.

I had just closed my eyes, laying my head against Eleven's, rubbing his sticky hair. When we were interrupted once again. Giant cubes of goo were making their way down the corridor, towards us. Today just wasn't our day. Eleven didn't look up...

Was he that defeated? Crud...

I carefully untangled myself from Eleven, and stood up, feeling pain shoot through my back. I didn't even know those muscles were used with my legs. If I end up, somehow paralyzed from this, it'll be worth it, for Eleven. I "calmly" walked toward the cubes, my body, (legs especially), uncontrollably shaking. I tried to appear fearless, but I was internally shaking as well, unsure of what I intended to do.

"Nicole... Please, no...." I heard Eleven say, behind me. I knew he didn't what me to carry through with this, but I felt like I had too, whether I liked it, or not.

I stood in front of the goo creature, arms outstretched, trying to keep a serious look on my face, and not showing fear, or terror. Of course, I felt it.

"Why us?!" I exclaimed, true the question was probably more, 'why him?', but I wasn't quite thinking straight. "Why?!"

Of course the blob didn't answer, I'm not sure I expected it to answer. It just kept sliding forward. I felt Eleven grasp my hand, I looked down at him, and covered his hand with my own, kneeling down to look him in the eye. He didn't say anything, nor did I, we just looked at each other. There was nothing we could do. The blob just kept coming toward us.

Sound familiar? Yes, it does. Of course it does, the only difference would be the creature that cornered us, (and Eleven's physical appearance, but that's beside the point).

Eleven placed his hand on mine, we knew what was going to happen, there was no denying it. Eleven took his other hand, (the one he had first grasped my hand with), gently touched my neck, and pulled my face closer to his.

Right, you know where this is going, I'm sure you've read too many fifth-rate novels to NOT know. But in case you don't, (Hey, it could happen), he kissed me.

Yep, SHOCKER. Eleven kissed me.

And I kissed back.

So what? I never asked, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that it was because he figured we were about to die. I'm not sure what led to the conclusion, but again, FIFTH-RATE NOVEL.

Or, I could be completely wrong, after all, it didn't happen last we were swallowed whole by a giant cube of goo. I could only pray that Ten didn't come out of nowhere, and that we wouldn't be separated again.

So, we finished kissing, and I just laid my head against his shoulder, just looking down at the floor. Eleven looped his arm around me, resting his head against mine.

"Everything will be okay, Nikki," he whispered, "I promise."

The goo cube, as expected, engulfed us. I could feel Eleven's hand slipping from my shoulder, and his other hand grasp my own tighter. It was interesting, (to say the least), floating in that goo. I know I didn't mention it last time it happened, but I'm saying it now. The surrounding goo felt cold, and thick, looking at Eleven, was kind of like looking through water without goggles, or a swimming mask on. Anyway, the hand that was holding mine, started slipping away, Eleven tried grabbing for it again, but he was slowly floating away from me.

And just like last time, I started losing conscious, my sight disappearing. I don't even know what was going on with Eleven.

And, (you guessed it!), several hours passed, before I woke up. My eyes flew open, and I gasped for air, my body jerking into an upright position, effectively hurting my back again. Trying to take a breath, I accidentally swallowed some of goo that was left from the creature depositing me in a different spot from before, (Wow, that sounds wrong...). I looked around me, noting that I was sitting in a puddle of goo, and that I was freezing. I found Eleven lying face down beside me, at least that turned out right. I reached over to shake him. It took a few minutes, but he finally stirred, acting like he was only just waking up in a nice, soft, warm bed. Eleven sat up, and looked at me, he looked like he wanted to kill me for waking him up.

"You just had to wake me from a pleasant dream, didn't you, Nicole?" he asked, sounding ticked off.

"W-w-w-pff-well," I replied, motioning to the area around us, "welcome back to reality!"

"Oh, jeez..." he said, holding his head, "I'm sorry, Nikki..."

"It's alright," I replied, "I know..."

He nodded, taking my hand. "Let's get out of here, eh?"

Smiling, we both stood up, I, immediately slipping on the puddle of goo, and landing on my bum, suddenly crying out in pain, and I think I might have heard a cracking-type noise. Eleven's face contorted in a pained expression as he watched me fall.

"Are you okay?" he asked, (carefully), helping me back up, "can you walk?"

"I dunno," I reply, steadying myself against the nearest wall, the other hand on my leg, slowly straightening up, trying to ignore the pain in my back.

Eleven's hands hovered around me, as he watched me try to walk. I didn't immediately collapse, so that was a good sign. I slowly took a step forward, and succeeded. Eleven smiled as he carefully took me off the wall, letting me lean against him. We started walking, Eleven slowly letting me walk on my own, but staying close by.

It was all fine, dandy, until he walked through an opening ahead of me, and the wall suddenly closed. I ran up, (OUCH!), and immediately slammed my palm against the panel, trying not to panic.

"Nikki?!" I heard him exclaim.

"Eleven?!" I replied.

"Just stay there!" he said, "I'll find you!"

I didn't hear anything after that, I just saw another section of the wall open, showing another corridor.