Status: On hiatus.

Sunsets and Silhouette Dreams.

Five.

Jacob awoke early, just as the sun was rising. He was tired, since he’d stayed up late patrolling (thank you, Sam) but he wanted extra time to get ready for school today. For one, it was his first day back, and two, Lucy was going. And he was taking her, per her request. It made him happy to know that his Imprint was going well.

Despite only knowing her a week, Jacob was crazy about little Lucy. She had that infectiously happy disposition that he himself possessed before he loved Bella. God, it felt good knowing that he no longer felt anything but friendship towards the happily married brunette vampire. Freedom from her was something he had longed for.

However, he didn’t mind being under Lucy’s spell, despite the fact that they weren’t together and technically, she had no say over him. Like it mattered. Jacob would do anything Lucy told him to, as soon as he could, as long as he could see that gorgeous, wide smile. That’s how smitten he was.

He dressed quickly, his thoughts lingering on the blonde girl. He pulled out his cell phone, wondering if she was awake. His fingers moved swiftly across the keys as he called her.


Just as the dream suggested, I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing, the second time in a week.

“Hello?” I mumbled, glad for the head’s up. (As it turned out, often, in my dreams, I saw the present instead of the future. I also got directly inside their heads, which was helpful, and in this case, flattering.)

“Did I wake you up?” Jacob asked worriedly.

I smiled. I liked having his voice the first I heard in the morning. “Yeah, but it’s okay. What time is it?”

“Six. School starts at seven, and I’ll be at your house around 6:45. Is that okay?”

Some girls took an hour and a half to get ready for school. Lucky for Jacob, I was not one of them. “That’ll be great. I have to go get in the shower, now, okay? Thank you for the wake-up call, Jacob. That was very sweet.”

“You’re welcome,” He said, almost bashfully.

After we hung up, I showered and got dressed. Though I knew I had bigger things to think about, my thoughts kept turning back to Jacob. I guess I liked him just as much as he liked me. Jake just made me happy.

So it was no surprise when I hugged him tightly after answering the door and seeing his smiling face. He chuckled, hugging me back.

“Miss me, Luce?”

I merely nodded, not going into detail about my long and lonely weekend filled with frightening dreams. “Do you want something to drink? We’ve got coffee, milk, and orange juice.”

“Juice, please,” He told me. As I poured us two glasses, he watched me affectionately. I’m sure I blushed.

“Jacob, can I ask you something?” My words were cautious, and he caught that.

“Sure.”

“Why did you run away?”

He ran his hands through his shaggy hair. “Bella. After she got married, I stuck around for a little while, but when Sam said they weren’t going to attack, even though the Cullens broke the treaty and bit a human, I bolted.”

“Why did you come back?”

“To meet you.” He smiled at me for a moment. “Sam said there was a girl who dreamt about me, about us, and that I had to meet her. At first, I didn’t want to - I thought it was a set-up to get me over Bella - but he ordered, so I had to.”

I couldn’t help the disappointment that crept in me. He hadn’t wanted to meet me. Call me irrational, but that kind of hurt my feelings. “Oh.”

Hurriedly, he put his warm hand on my face. “Oh, no, no, no, Lucy. I’m glad I met you, so glad. Before I knew you, I wasn’t, but now…”

Mollified, I smiled. “Okay, okay, I get it. Can we go to school now?”

Suddenly, Jake grinned. “Hope you don’t mind riding on the back of a motorcycle.”

Image

Every teenager in America hates school. Even nerds who love to learn (like me) get teased, so they don't like it. Education is a universally hated thing.

That said, I didn't mind La Push High School. Jacob and I had already created quite a buzz; apparently, before he disappeared, he was popular. Just being seen with him would give me a reputation, but being new and having obvious chemistry was causing people to ask if we were dating. My grudging denial didn't help much.

I had classes with Jake, Kim, and Seth all day except fourth period. Which was, coincidentally, my worst subject - geometry. While I usually preferred to be a loner, I would've liked company in that class. As I walked in, I mulled over the usefulness of geometry. Deciding there was none, I sat close to the back.

“Hey,” A tall, dark-haired girl sitting next to me said. “Aren’t you friends with Jacob Black?”

I nodded cautiously. “Why?”

“I’m Yvonne. His girlfriend.” She was pretty, sure, but there was no way. For one, according to my dream, Jake was crazy about me. Two, there was something about this girl that was... off. Like she was a total bitch beneath the surface. And three, he just wouldn't do that. Would he?

“Whatever,” I told her, rolling my eyes. “If you are, then he’s cheating on you with me.” Technically, he wasn't, since as Samantha reminded me constantly, cheating wasn't flirting, but I kinda wanted to piss this girl off.

Her brown eyes clouded over, and I swear she snarled. “Fuck you.”

“You’re not my type,” I said dismissively. Opening my notebook, I faced the front as the teacher started the lesson.

She sat down, her anger practically coming off in dark waves. The rest of the lesson passed by in a blur of numbers. I was agitated; Jacob better not have a girlfriend.

I was still in uncharacteristically dark spirits when I sat down next to Kim at lunch, scowling.

“You look pissed,” Kim said. “What’s wrong?”

“Some bitch just said she’s Jacob’s ‘girlfriend,’” I told her darkly, stabbing my salad. "Girlfriend my ass. I hope she falls into a pit with a bear."

“Who?” Embry asked, hiding a smile. I've been told my anger is funny.

I shrugged, spearing a piece of lettuce with my fork. “Yvonne something-or-another.”

Everyone at the table groaned. Jake himself sat down next to me, seeing my pissy expression. “What? What's wrong?”

“You, mister,” I told him, pointing my fork at him, the lettuce still dangling off it. “ Are in ginormous trouble.” Okay, so Jacob wasn't who I was angry at, but if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be angry, so I was pouting. Besides, a guy can always afford to grovel a little.

“What did I do?” He turned to face me.

“Have a girlfriend!” I hissed.

“It’s Yvonne, dude,” Quil told him. “Apparently, she’s already trying to fuck with Lucy.”

I frowned. I wished this conversation weren't being broadcasted to all his friends.

Jacob, on the other hand, laughed, but said softly and kindly, “Listen, Yvonne is just this girl who has a crush on me. She has for like a year. Don’t even worry about her, little one.”

Thankfully, by then, everyone at the table caught on and got caught up in food, talk of sports, or in Kim's case, her boyfriend.

“Promise?” I asked softly.

“I promise.” To prove it, Jacob kissed the tip of my nose, which I then scrunched. He laughed, unaffected, and laced his fingers through mine. Then, he whispered in my ear, "You're adorable, Lucy, you know that? I'm all yours."

I blushed.

Image

Riding on a motorcycle is, understandably, scary. But riding on a motorcycle clinging to Jacob Black is actually kind of fun. He had a spare helmet and leather jacket so I wouldn't die, and he went just fast enough to cause an adrenaline rush. The wind ripping through my hair, I decided I liked motorcycles.

He took me to Emily's for my cooking lesson, then watched in amusement as she showed me how to make cupcakes - an easy recipe I would no doubt use. I loved cupcakes.

Luckily, Sam didn't show until after we iced them. Jacob and I retreated to the living room while Emily and her fiancée talked in the kitchen; just being around them filled us both with wistful longing.

“So,” I said, turning to face him on the couch. “Tell me more about the Cullens.” I was dying to know more about vampires, but had to act casual.

Jake sighed a little. “They’re not so bad, I guess, as far as vampires go. They called themselves vegetarians, so all they drink from is animals. Some of them have special powers, too: Edward can read minds, Alice sees the future, Jasper can control people’s moods. And Bella has super control.”

“What do you mean, Alice sees the future?” I scrunched my eyebrows together, hoping to look confused.

“She has visions, based on what the future will be like if people follow through with their choices. If that makes any sense.”

Wow. Mine were the definite future, concrete. I felt powerful for once.

“Weird,” I mumbled.

“Yeah. The Volturi are the real bad guys. They’re like royalty or something, and they’re kind of assholes.”

"Do they have powers?"

"Yeah, they seek out people with powers, from my understanding." He put his arm around me. "It's nothing you need to worry about though, little one."

"Could the pack beat them?" I whispered.

Again, Jacob sighed. "If they were regular leeches, yeah. But they're not, so we might need the Cullens help for that one. Like I said, though, Luce, no worries. You're perfectly safe."

I should've told him right then, and I knew it. He needed to know I was in great danger. But I was scared, so I merely got closer to him and pondered how the hell I was going to get out alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
asdfghjkl;
This chapter did not want to come out. It took me longer than usual to write it, but it sucked, so I edited it - only to have my computer crash halfway through. So this is chapter six, take three. Sorry if it still sucks.
What do you think?