Times of Trouble

Aiming for the Future

Christmas dinner was long finished and Albus was curled up and hiding in the narrow space between one of the armchairs in his father's study and the wall. Luckily he hadn't grown too much in the past few months to fit back here.

Hermione was sitting in the chair he was hiding behind. He'd just managed to get into place before she and the rest of them had come in. If he hadn't been lucky enough to overhear his father tell Hermione before dinner that Uncle Donald had something to share after dinner he wouldn't have

Harry and Neville were situated in chairs nearby while Uncle Marcus, Uncle Donald, and his father were sitting or standing on the other side of the cozy, book-filled room.

"So, you'll be happy to learn that I've made a breakthrough with that sand of yours," Uncle Donald said with his customary frown.

"That's good, right?" Neville asked.

Donald grunted, "Yes and no. The actual sand is from a rather common rock and the spells on it are also rather simple. What makes them so difficult to replicate is how they're blended. It's a pattern I've never seen before. Another problem is: your sand is only meant to let someone travel back in time. Which sort of makes it difficult to send you forward in time, now, doesn't it?"

"Is there a way to make it let us go forward?" Harry asked.

"Possibly, but it will take me several months. Should be the same spells, just a different pattern."

"Is there anything Percival or I can do to help?" Marcus asked.

"Marcus, why do you even ask? Haven't you gotten it through your thick skull that I always work alone?" Donald snarled.

"Well, couldn't it be figured out more quickly if someone helps you?" Hermione asked. "After all, we need to get back as quickly as possible, there's already the possibility that we've changed too much."

"Girl, you let me do my thing and you'll get back safely. Anyone else joins in and you might end up back with the Founders. Got it?"

By craning his neck and looking in the mirror over the mantle Albus could see that Uncle Donald was glaring at Hermione, but she just glared back at him. He had to fight a shiver. No one dared stare back at Uncle Donald, not even his father.

Uncle Donald did nothing to stop Hermione from glaring, instead he just snorted in disgust and turned his attention to Albus' father, "I'm going to leave little Neville in your care. Now, if you'll forgive me, I have work to do. I should have something by summer. See you then."

Then he strode out the room in a swirl of his cloak.

"Neville, are you sure you're related to him?" Harry asked.

"Well, I'm a Longbottom, and he's the only Longbottom left alive, so I have to be, right? Anyways, if we stuck him in hat with a vulture stuffed on top, a green dress, and a fox fur scarf he'd look a lot like my grandmother, don't you think?"

"I really don't like to picture Donald in a dress. That thought could give one nightmares," Marcus said with a fake shudder.

His father chuckled, "Just thinking of what he'd do if he knew we were picturing him in a dress would give anyone nightmares."

Albus couldn't help but agree. If there was one person on this planet that scared him, it was Uncle Donald. The man could turn anyone to stone with just a glance. Wasn't that what happened with his mother?

Though, if Uncle Donald could get rid of Harry Potter…

Well, he might just become Albus' new hero.

XXX

Spring was here.

Albus could smell the soft scents of the flowers on the breeze. He was currently sitting on a window ledge up in a long forgotten part of the castle.

He'd found this spot not long after Christmas break. Robert had been getting on his nerves in the common room and whenever he left the dungeons he always felt eyes on him. He didn't know why Harry and his stupid friends were watching him, but it was upsetting.

Sometimes he just wanted to be left alone.

So he'd wandered off through the castle, dipping quickly down several secret passages, and taking sudden turns to try and confuse his watchers. Eventually he'd ended up here. It was just a small, forgotten room up on the seventh floor. The room was empty except for some dusty pillows on the window ledge and a few worn tapestries.

The only thing to recommend the room was the window.

It was very large, with a wide, comfortable ledge to sit on and it also had a magnificent view of the school grounds.

Sounds of laughter came up on the wind and Albus looked out to see a group of students playing down by the lake. He was too far away to make out who they were, but he could tell they were having a wonderful time running through the grass.

A wave of homesickness hit Albus as he watched them playing. He loved the spring. At home spring had always meant spring cleaning. His mother would empty the house of all the furniture as she set to cleaning everything.

Albus had run through the mountains of furniture with Arianna and Aberforth. They'd pretended to be great explorers looking for treasure or heroes off in search of a dragon to defeat.

It had been glorious.

He'd expected Hogwarts to be like that. And in many ways it had been. He'd loved sitting in the common room and talking of the great things he would do one day. It had been so nice to find others with such great ambitions.

Now though, he felt like his goals were too small.

He'd wanted to get rid of Harry Potter, but that would be happening soon.

At first he'd been excited at the thought of Uncle Donald getting rid of Harry, but now it bothered him. He'd wanted to be the one to get rid of Harry. That was the whole point of joining Slytherin. He'd wanted to become so great that everyone would realize that he was better.

But if Harry left…

Well, even if he did become great, and from what Hermione's letter had said he was supposed to become very great indeed, he'd still always wonder if he truly was the better wizard.

Sighing in annoyance at that depressing thought, Albus picked his book back up and continued reading about goblin wars for Professor Binns.

XXX

The train came to stop at Platform 9 ¾.

Albus grabbed his trunk, shouted a quick farewell to Robert, bumped into Doge in the hallway before giving him a wide grin and a hug before racing off the train.

He crossed the platform so quickly that he thought he had apparated.

His mother smelled like apples and sugar. He breathed in deeply as he hugged her close. He felt his dad ruffle his hair and he smiled into his mother's waist.

Pulling back from the hug he turned to say greet Arianna and Aberforth only to have his heart drop to his feet.

They were across the platform talking to Harry and his friends.

He felt his father ruffle his hair again.

"They love you more. They're just excited to see their hero. That's all. Don't worry about it," his father said soothingly.

But…Albus wanted to be their hero. He was the great one. He was the one that was supposed to defeat an evil wizard and become Headmaster of Hogwarts. So important that even the Minister of Magic asked for his help.

Harry Potter was just a stupid boy that fell into the past.

Anger building up quickly, Albus grabbed his chest and stormed off the platform.

He didn't want to see anymore. Hopefully Harry would be gone soon.

Not that that would change things much.

XXX

He was becoming quite good at hiding, which was a funny thing, since a year ago he never hid from anyone. Now though, he knew that the best way to learn things was to hide. It just made everything easier.

Currently Albus was hiding in the same tree he'd used a year before to spy on Harry, Richie, and Uncle Marcus.

Then he'd just wanted to be rid of Harry as quickly as possible, but now he wanted him to stay.

How could he prove he was better than Harry if the stupid hero wasn't around?

He couldn't.

That's what.

People started talking and Albus focused his attention on the group of people down below him.

"Humph. You owe me big time you three. Do you know how much work it took me to make this little thing?" Uncle Donald held up a small necklace, the single charm on it shimmering as the sunlight caught it.

Harry smiled, "Thank you very much Donald. I'm sorry we've caused so much trouble."

"Just don't do it again, alright? I'm going to be too busy finding a wife so this troublemaker doesn't cease to exist," his growl was rough, but the expression on his face was quite the opposite.

That bothered Albus. What had Neville done to change Uncle Donald's opinion of him?

Harry turned to face Albus' parents.

"Thank you very much for all of your help. We couldn't be going back without you."

His mother smiled, "Well, we can't thank you enough for saving Arianna last year."

"Have there been any more problems?" Hermione asked.

"Unfortunately, yes. That's why we're moving to Godric's Hollow next month. I think it will be good for us to be closer to the Potters and other wizarding families. Especially since Arianna is proving to be such a powerful witch," his father replied.

Albus frowned. They were moving next month? Why hadn't anyone told him? Probably forgot because of stupid Harry Potter and his friends.

"I'm sorry Marcus couldn't make it today. We shouldn't delay going back, even for Selwyn's trial. Can you give him our goodbyes?" Harry asked.

"Humph, of course we'll give him your goodbyes. Now, are you three going to get out of here before the next century? No, don't go putting that necklace over your neck yet, boy. Get over here."

Albus nearly fell out of his tree as Uncle Donald embraced Neville in a crushing hug before pulling back and coughing loudly as he shoved Neville back to his friends.

To give Neville credit, he looked just as shocked as Albus felt – as did everyone else in the garden.

Albus watched as the trio muttered final farewells before they slipped the necklace over all three of them, and then Hermione began to turn the little charm over and over.

Abruptly they disappeared.

Albus' jaw dropped in surprise.

Sure, he'd known they were from the future, but seeing them disappear was an entirely different matter.

"I'm sad to see them go," his mother said with a suspicious sniff.

"So am I, but they had to go," his father said.

"Humph, don't you be having any waterworks, Kendra. I don't like salty tea. Now, let's go inside. If I'm going to find a wife I might as well start now." With these words Uncle Donald strode off toward the house, leaving Albus' parents to follow.

Albus could only stare down at the empty spot beneath the tree. He was so confused. He was glad that Harry was gone, but he was also upset. He didn't want to see Arianna and Aberforth's faces when they realized they only had Albus left.

He'd once again be their hero, but he'd never replace Harry now.

At least…

Albus' froze in shock as he realized something.

Harry and his friends knew him in the future. The letter had been clear about that.

Which meant all he had to do was grow stronger and wait.

Eventually he'd find Harry Potter and prove once and for all who the better wizard was.

Yes, that was the way.

Grinning, Albus clambered down from the tree and headed off to find his brother and sister.