Stories In Scars

Kill the Butterflies. Please.

Oh, God. I can’t believe how nervous I am. I mean, it is a new city, new coffeehouse, first open-mic night. But, really, I’ve performed infront of hundreds of people before. Why am I so nervous for a little open-mic night? I have all of my shit prepared. Tonight, I’ve decided just to do covers. Because they’re safer. I’ve chosen “Karma Police” by Radiohead and “Golden” by Fall Out Boy. Both safe songs, right? Breathe, Grey, breathe. OK, here goes nothing. Or everything.

As I walk into the coffeehouse, Common Grounds, I smell the safe, comforting scent of ground coffee. Common Grounds is right by my new apartment in Las Vegas. I usually prefer Starbucks, but they have open-mic here. So, Common Grounds it is. The cafe is pretty packed, with about fourty people in a tiny room, with an even tinier stage. Someone is up there doing a, rather bad, rendition of Prince’s “Purple Rain.” As he leaves the stage, I find a seat in the sofa by the side of the stage. There’s just enough room for me and my guitar, an acoustic Fender. It isn’t my best guitar, but as stupid as it sounds, it’s really comforting to play with, since it was my first and all.

The next three performers are up, and they are all okay. Not fantastic, but not terrible. I finally get the nerve up to go on the stage.

“Hi, I’m Grey. This is a song by Radiohead, and it’s entitled ‘Karma Police.’” Even though I was so nervous before, I was always amazed by how my nerves just settled down once I stepped on stage. It’s like a comfort blanket. I just put on a mask of sorts and pretend I’m telling a story. The most important story of your life.

I finish the song, and the audience doesn’t do anything. “Uh oh,” I thought. They are NOT clapping. Shit. Then, one person starts clapping, then another, and another. Before I know it, the whole room is applauding. Wow.

“Do you guys want to hear one more song?”

They respond with a loud roar. Well, it’s loud for a coffeehouse.

“I take that as a yes. This is ‘Golden’ by Fall Out Boy. It’s an amazing song that’s helped me get through a lot. Listen to the lyrics, because they’re amazing.” I start singing, and look out into the crowd. Once I finish, I leave the stage to an applause with my guitar.

Going back to the sofa where I was seated, is two guys.