Stories In Scars

Not As Bad As I Thought

We walked into the house.

“You must be Grey! Spencer has told me about you. How talented!” That must be Spencer’s mom.

“Hi,” I smile.

“I’m Ginger. Oh, Ryan!”

“Mmmhf,” Ryan greeted her as he was smushed by her hug.

“Grey, we’re eating pasta for dinner. I have a meat sauce, and a maranara one, for Brendon. Is that okay?” she asked.

“Sounds great,” I tell her.

“Hey! Fuckers!” Jon shouted. Uh, oh. I forgot we would meet for coffee this morning. Shit, shit, shit.

“Jon gave me this lecture already. I told him I was sleeping,’ Brendon offered.

“We were sleeping too,” Ryan told him.

“I don’t fucking care if you were sleeping! You stood me up! Wait... ‘we’ were sleeping?” Jon questioned.

I just put on an apoligetic grin. “Oh! Not like that. We didn’t fuck or anything. I just... fell asleep at his place,” I explained.

“No, but they are dating,” Brendon butted in. He showed Jon and Spencer the picture of us kissing on his Sikekick.

“Awww... You two are so cute!” Jon offered.

Spencer gave me the “please don’t break his heart look.”

Ginger, and Spencer’s sisters, Alexandra and Rachel, also looked. The picture got a chorus of, “Awww...”s.

We all sat down at the table for dinner. There, I was introduced to Spencer’s dad, Roy.

Ginger, when introducing us, just had to add in that Ryan and I were dating. Thanks, Ginger.

“So, Grey,” Roy asked, “What do you do?”

I opened my mouth to speak, but Spencer, with a full mouth, said, “She’s going on tour with us. She’s a musician.”

We made small talk the rest of the time, and when everyone was done, I offered to help Ginger clean up. She graciously accepted.

When we were alone in the kitchen, it was clear that Ginger had something to say to me.

“Grey, I’ve known Ryan for a long time. The way he acted at dinner. Wow. He’s really falling for you. That kid has had his heart broken before, and it’s not pretty. Please, just try not to break it. Okay?”

“I would never, ever, break anyone’s heart on purpose. And I think I’m falling for him too.”

“I can tell.”