Stories In Scars

This Is The Mask I Wear

“Grey! You were amazing!” Brendon greeted me.

“Thanks dear,” I said, while being squashed from his hug.

Ryan came and kissed me.

“Sweetie, you were amazing out there. It was beautiful.”

Ryan redid my makeup quickly, and in another twenty minutes, since I needed to go back out and play keys and sing. I took my button down shirt off, revealing a low cut purple corset.

After the dancers did a small introduction, we all came out. I was the only other musician, other than the boys, this time. They learned a bunch of new instruments for their new record, so they could play them live.

“I told you this wouldn’t be the last you saw of me!” I yelled into the microphone.

“Hello Glasgow!” Brendon yelled. Then, we broke into The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage. The whole audience was singing and dancing along.

Right before intermission, I came down from my spot by the keys to sing Summer Nights with Brendon. We both got really into it. Touching, kissing, chasing.

When we finished, Brendon said into the microphone, “And we will be right back after this short commercial break.”

Backstage, we were all sitting on the sofas. Except Ryan.

“What the hell was that out there?” Ryan questioned angrily.

“It was just for the show, Ryan,” I told him.

Brendon agreed, “All for the show.”

“Really? It didn’t look like it.” He was getting angrier by the second.

“Remember from Nothing Rhymes With Circus tour? You and Brendon were humping each other’s legs and kissing on stage!” I remind him.

“And that was all for show,” Brendon adds.

“Fine. Whatever,” Ryan says, ignoring us.

A few minutes later, we went back out there, no one as peppy as before, because of what happened backstage. But, I put on a smile. I’ve done it all my life anyways. Wear a mask.

After finishing the show, we went out for a signing. At the table, we sat Ryan, Spencer, Jon, Me, and Brendon at the very end. Still wearing the mask, my eyes were burning from unshed tears.

After an hour of pictures, signing, and hugs, we went to the hotel.