Stories In Scars

'Splain Lucy

I knew just who to call: Pete. So, I took out my Sidekick and hit “Pete Wentz” in my phone book.

“Hello?” I hear him answer.

“Hey, Pete, it’s Grey.”

“What’s up?”

I move out into the hall, so if I accidentally say something I shouldn’t, they don’t hear me.

“Well, we’re in a slight dilemma here. At the venue, being bored at soundcheck, we decided to play spin the bottle. And, all of us took pictures on our Sidekicks. The pictures of me kissing each one of the boys are out now. I’ve been called a whore and a slut countless times. But that’s not the real problem. If they got those pictures like they did yours, the backup site, the pictures of the boys kissing are next,” I explain, in one breath.

“Fucking holy shit,” was the answer I got.

“Any ideas for the story?”

“How about you tell the truth. Tell them you were playing spin the bottle. Well, the guys. And you.”

“That was the first thing I said, but it got shot down instantly. I don’t want to put them under pressure, but we need to think of a story, incase they’re out by tomorrow. Cause tomorrow’s our first interview.”

“Well, shit.”

“Fucking sucks, I know,” I sigh.

“Well, that’s what I do, at any rate. Tell the truth. It’s the best way.”

“Well, will you talk to them on speaker phone. Because they probably won’t believe me if I told them what you said.”

“Yeah, no probemo.”

“Be be nice. They’re all taking this hard, especially Brendon.”

“Ma’am, yes, ma’am.”

I walk back into the room, and tell them Pete’s on the phone and wants to tell them something.

“Grey filled me in on what’s happening,” Pete says, “And don’t be mad at her. She did this all for you guys. I would just tell the truth. You don’t need to tell a million other white lies, that turn black in an instant, to make it work. Just the truth. You can bend it, but don’t totally break it.”

“Maybe he’s right,” Ryan says, thinking.

I took my phone off of speaker phone, whispered my thanks, and put it back in my pocket.

While the boys were thinking about Pete’s advice, I went to go check some of the Panic! sites to see if they were up.

Fuck.

They were.

“We should have taken your advice before,” Spencer apologized. “We’re just going to tell the truth, unbelievable as it may be.”

“Yeah, we’ve all agreed,” Brendon said, looking better.

Ryan and Jon both nodded their heads.

“Well, it’s good that you guys have your story. The pictures just came up. Do you want to see them?”

They all nod.

I turn Ryan’s MacBook around and show them.