Stories In Scars

One Down... How Many To Go?

Brendon looked like he was going to start crying again. Spencer bit his lip. Jon looked wide eyed at the pictures. And Ryan was staring right at me.

“Now, we need to get your mind off of this crisis,” I said, when Ryan had a pleading look in his eyes. “Go play XBox, or something, alright?”

Ryan and I sat in my bunk, just looking at each other.

“What’s wrong, baby?”

“It’s just so hard to not go running towards that blade when something shitty happens. It’s how I deal. It’s the only way I know.”

“I know. We just need to find you another way,” I told him, feeling like a totally hypocrite because I felt like cutting too.

He nods, I kiss him, and we walk back out of the bunks.

“So, our first interview tomorrow. It’s for radio, I think. Just remember to tell the truth. Well, about this. Okay?”

I got a parade of mhms.

“Now, get to bed! We have to be at the studio early.”

They all sighed and went back to their bunks.

The next morning, I woke up to the smell of coffee at 6:00. I walked out of my bunk, and saw Jon making the Starbuck’s Verona blend.

“You ready for today?” I ask him.

“No. I couldn’t really sleep because I was thinking about it too much. I just fucking think too much.”

“That makes two of us.”

Once the coffee was done brewing, I brought a cup for each of the guys. We got dressed, and by seven, when we arrived at the radio station, we had about ten cups of coffee. Each.

Before we went in, I gave them all a little pep talk, even though I was as nervous as hell too.

In the little room, there were two people, I guess the people who were supposed to be interviewing us, and a spot at the table for all five of us.

“Hi, I’m Michael,” the man said, sitting at the table. “This is Jody,” pointing to the woman, also sitting.

“Ready?” Jody asked.

There was no time to reply, because she just started talking.

“We are here this morning with Panic! At The Disco and Grey Julius. How are you all doing this lovely morning?”

“Great, thanks,” Brendon said with his famous smile. The band and I knew it was fake, but no one else did. He’s always been good putting on a show.

“We were at your show last night,” Michael said. “Fantastic, if I do say so myself.”

“Thank you,” Ryan told him.

“So, after the show, I did a bit more research online about you all. And, Grey, I found pictures of you kissing each one of the guys. Care to explain?” Jody asked.

I looked at the guys, and they nodded in encouragement. But, if they were focusing on my pictures, then she must have not found theirs! I hope...

“Well, we were bored at sound check,” I started to explain, stuttering here and there, “so we decided to play spin the bottle. And, we decided to take pictures for the hell of it.”

“But aren’t you dating Ryan?”

“Yes, we’re engaged. But we are confident in our relationship. Those kisses meant nothing,” I tell her.”

Jody raised one eyebrow, questioning my answer.

Michael obviously had another question. “So, how’s the tour going?”

“It’s good,” Jon said. “I mean, last night was only our third show, but it’s going really well.”

“That’s great! So, Grey,” Michael said, looking at me, “how is it touring with these bunch of guys. Do you ever miss having another female around?”

“Nope. These guys are great. I live with Ryan, and the guys practically live at his place, so it didn’t take a lot of getting used to,” I answered.

We get asked a few more questions, say our goodbyes, and then leave.

“Starbucks?” Jon asks.

“Fuck yes,” we all answer.

Sitting down at a table in Starbucks, we all felt better just smelling the sweet aroma of coffee.

“Thank god we had planned that story,” I said.

“No shit. You didn’t even sweat though,” Spencer replied. “How do you do it?”

“What? Not be nervous?” I ask to clarify. They all nod. “I’m an actor. I did theatre for eleven years. You just need to make up a cover and keep it going for as long as you need to.”

We talked for a bit, relaxing and preparing for the interview. We just needed to be ready if the the “pictures” were brought up.