Your anti-Valentines

Utopia

"Utopia quit playing the drums! " yelled Mr. Hung, the music teacher, "you're playing the wrong song again, you need to follow directions."
"I'm sorry its not my fault the school put me in grade level music and not advanced" I argued. Honestly the man put me in the wrong class. I’m not the best but I’m better than the kids in that class. Plus his songs are a little on the boring non-hyper side.
" How many times have I mentioned the California Art school for young and talented artists?'
" You know I cant afford it." He was friends with my parents so he should know.
"I'll get you a scholarship. I know you can do this”
"They give those out?" I was in shock when he handed me the number. They usually only invite. Mr. Hung must have pulled some strings.
"Just call this number and make an appointment." He smiled knowingly, “They’ll let you in.”
well I went to audition for the school and I made it in scholarship and all. Honestly I was a little surprised.
I hope I don’t get lost, I thought as I frantically searched for the office. The building was HUGE and white. Walls carpets, everything except the boards. They hung on the wall and were really awesome looking, with paintings and poems tacked to them.
“Were is the office!” I mumbled.

“Hey you! New girl! Down the hall and too the left, you should have checked a map.” A black haired girl with blue eyes asked in a rude tone.
“my name is Utopia Smith, U for short. I’m a drummer…I’m looking for a band” I noticed the flyer tucked under her arm reading ‘Drummer wanted’.

“U, hmm…Are you any good? Most kids who play band instruments are in a band. Otherwise you get left behind on the extra practice. I don’t know if you’d fit though.”
“Fit”
“We need someone really good, because of the contest if you play well you pass and the best person at the end of the year gets to record one song, it gets put on the local radio. This is our chance”

“Oh that’s cool whets our band name?”
“Your Anti-valentine.”
“sweet so we're like an emo, band right? “

"One- you aren’t in our band yet. Two- we play emotive punk rock music, but we are NOT EMO. If I hear you calling me emo behind my back you’re dead. Oh, and if you don‘t check in soon, you get a detention and seeing as you‘ll be trying out at my house this afternoon, I wouldn‘t be late.”

“Especially on my first day right?”

“we also get marked down on the end of the year finals. The end of the year BAND finals.”

She lead me to a door marked ‘Advanced drums four’,
“Here’s your class”
“Ah, since its your first day at school we wont mark your band down, but hurry up and Sit Down!” exclaimed Mrs. Kittler, a friendly enough looking woman.
“Do you have any taller stools this ones too low for me?”
The whole class burst out laughing. There was only about twenty of us and they were all very tall.
“in the closet over there, just how old are you?” Her eyes narrowed a bit behind her glasses.
“14 why?” I asked.
“This class is for seniors only and I don’t think your a senior are you?”

“no but I bet I play as good or even better than most of the others.”
“I’ll give you a chance”
I played my best until the class was over. They were good but I found I surpassed them with ease. They looked at me like I was a god.
“Utopia stay after class please, you are a very talented girl have you gotten in a band yet? I think you’d have a real chance in wining.” Everyone seems to think I’m great, maybe it was destiny.

“yeah I think so.”
“who's?”
“Rose porter's maim.”

Ah Your Anti-Valentine, you'll have to work hard because those girls are hard to impress.”

“oh, well I have to meet her now.”

“Its about bout time freshie, oh this is our singer Mustang , Tang for short.” She had long blond hair and a permanently exited look in her eyes.
“oh, hi Tang”
“Your name is Utopia right?” She grinned as big as the Cheshire cat. She had a good voice, smooth but not too smooth.
“yeah I actually prefer to be called U.”
“Oh That’s sweet!” Tang was definitely nicer than Rose.
“beeeeep!!” The bell there was loud enough to wake up my great great grandma who died in a house fire and there isn‘t much left of her to wake.
“oh damn that the bell. we wont see you at lunch because we have different lunches, like you have lunch with drummers I have lunch with the singers and rose has lunch with the guitarists. Meet us out by the benches..”