Status: Morking progress.

The Hornet's Nest

Chapter II

Chapter 2

The edge of the Holy Swamp, Valhalla

Major Q10 stopped the procession at the edge of the swamp. He began to scan the area for signs of life. What he found was amazing, hundreds of marro drudge were camped out under the stagnant water, waiting for them to come closer.
Q10: deathwalker, we must retreat.

Deathwalker: Elaborate!

Q10: There are hundreds of far lessers in this pool of brackish water. By my calculations, they would sufficiently weaken us or destroy all of us if we were to venture there.

Deathwalker: Very well, we will retreat.

Zettian guard: This error will be reported! Hope that the demigods will spare you from the flame!

Soulborg culture is vicious. A Deathwalker only remains deathwalker as long as he kills and conquers. If he is killed in battle or fails in a mission, his armor, with him inside, will be melted down and sold for scrap. This mission was not a failure. Only a small error and lack of discipline on the side of the deathwalker. The soulborgs made it back to camp to find it over run with lessers. Deathwalker switched from cerebral communication to verbal.

“I need several warriors to accompany my unit in taking the ruined temple across the pond.”

There were twelve men dressed in heavy, less technologically advanced, armor. A man with dark skin approached him. He was wearing a deep blue trench coat and black leather pants. He carried a sword in his left hand and a gun in his right. He was bald, except for a lock of hair on the back of his head.

“What do you need my men for?” the man asked.

“There is a large amount of marro hiding in the water. If only I and my men were to go in there alone, we would be quickly over run.”

“Last order I received was to hold this position.”

“But,” began Deathwalker, his tone emotionless, business like,” The other half of your order was to assist us in an attack if the need be.”

The man appeared angry under his thin sunglasses,

“Right.” he turned to his men and said, “Alright, boys, we need to help the soulbutts with one of their chores. Teams Alpha, beta, and delta, come with me, team gamma stay here and hold down the fort until we come back.”

The men answered in unison, “Yes, sir”

Q10 turned off his transmitter, what is a “soulbutt”? Of what fortress do they speak? I see no fortress.

“Alright, we’re coming with you.” said the man. “But, first we gotta report our activity to head quarters.”

The man whistled a shrill, piercing whistle. Unseen by any of the soulborgs came three humans, two male, one female, run from the underbrush.

“Tell headquarters we are helping a unit of soulborgs take the ruined temple. And tell them to send more men.”

“Yes, Agent Carr!” they said, and then they ran in the direction of the southern headquarters.

“Alright, let’s do this” said agent Carr, a smile of what appeared to be pleasure on his face.

Q10 instantly hated him when he saw that expression on his face. Q10 had a very advanced range of emotions, something unheard of in the warrior’s academy. In the academy, all warriors had several “weak” emotions erased from their memories. Only leaving anger, hate, and satisfaction. Also, they were left with a longing for a better life. The only way to do this was through killing. But major Q10 refused to see things that way. He hated killing anything but he did it to survive. Warriors incapable of killing, either from old age or just not wanting to do it are executed, but their armor is not used for scrap, it is used for munitions. So Q10 was not looking forward to the task set before him.
They advanced on the brackish pool of water slowly, checking their flanks periodically for ambushes. They reached the edge of the water and halted. Deathwalker let loose a shell into the water. What followed was an explosion of water and broken, bleeding parts of marro drudge.

“Damn!” breathed agent Carr in awe.

Almost immediately after the explosion, the marro drudge poked their heads out of the water and began to fire streams of purple acid from their guns. The attack was erratic at best; it nicked several soldiers but did not kill any of them. Agent Carr ordered his men to open fire on the drudge. All nine soldiers opened fire simultaneously. Only three out of those nine shots hit home, killing the drudge. Q10 rescanned the water and found he had miscalculated the enemy’s numbers. There were only twenty marro drudge in the pool, well; there were only twenty, now there are only seventeen. He transmitted his findings to Deathwalker.

We may be able to use this to our advantage. Deathwalker transmitted, Guards, halt your attack.

The guards were about to open fire but stopped at their Deathwalker’s command.
The next volley of acid was more calculated. This time to of the three blasts hit home and killed the microcorp agents. Agent Carr ordered them to take a small outcropping of rock at the eastern edge of the pool. When they fired this time, all of the shots hit home. All seven shots hit their respective targets. Only ten marro drudge remained in the water. However, before the drudge could fire again, deathwalker gave Q10 clearance to open fire with his rocket launcher. He targeted two enemies simultaneously. For just under three seconds, Q10 could not bring himself to open fire on these living, breathing creatures. Then he only focused on how ugly they were, and he pulled the trigger and the rockets found their targets. A percussive explosion followed the missiles. The explosion sent shrapnel flying and it harmed the other marro drudge. Now, only eight drudge against eight agents and four soulborgs, the marro were forced to retreat. With the path clear, the band of soldiers continued on their way to the temple.