Sequel: Two of a Kind
Status: Happily Ever After(almost)

Endlessly

Take the World Off Your Shoulders and Put It On Me

Jordan

She just left with him.

My thoughts swirled anxiously, wondering if she was coming back. She had to, didn't she? At least apologize for her date's actions?

"Dude, you're a mess." Eric let himself into the kitchen through the back door, before plopping down into a chair.

"I know. I'm thinking of just leaving the blood to dry. Reminder of how much I fucked up," he opened his mouth to argue, but I pressed on. "I knew I went too fast, pushed her too hard. I thought girls wanted to know what a guy is feeling! Not the other way around!"

I let my head fall into my hands, exasperated. I heard Eric's chair scrape back, and figured he was leaving, not wanting to deal with my modd swings.

I jumped when a hand rested against my shoulder blade. I looked up, at Eric, who stood over me. "It'll be alright, Jordan. Everything works itself out in the end. Trust me."

I was shocked. This was a rare moment in the Staal house; brotherly kindness. Before I could thank him, someone tapped softly against the glass door.

"Looks like it might work out sooner than you think," he said.

----------------------------------

Rae

I tapped lightly on the glass door, looking in at Eric and Jordan sharing a few soft-spoken words. Something that happened once in a blue moon with the Staal brothers.

Both lifted their heads, and Eric smiled softly while Jordan flat out stared. Jesus, he's a mess. Blood caked the corner of his mouth, and a little trail dribbled down from his chin. He looked like he'd just walked away from a bar fight.

Pulling open the door a little ways, I asked, "Mind if I come in?"

Eric answered, while Jordan continued to stare. "Not in the least. Actually, I was just leaving. I'll talk to you later."

He planted a kiss on the top of my head, before heading out. "Oh wait," I turned, seeing Eric paused in the doorway. "Will you clean him up? Can't have mom getting too worried."

"Sure," I replied softly, watching him go, before turning back to Jordan. "I came back," I told him, stating the obvious.

"Yeah, you did." He was giving me a wonderstruck look, like a little kid on Christmas morning.

I walked over to the sink and soaked a cloth towel with water, before returning to Jordan. I took his chin gently in my hand, turning it to examine the growing bruise his jaw bone. His blonde stubble bit softly against my palm, reminding me of how much more of a man he'd become since I'd last seen him.

"He did quite a number on you, huh?" I commented, as I began wiping the dried blood from the corner of his mouth.

Jordan grunted in reply, probably taking offense and thinking it was a jab at his "manliness". "I know, I know. You could've totally kicked his ass if you wanted to," I offered.

He cracked a small smile. "Most likely," was all he said.

As I worked my way up to cleaning the trail of blood from his nose, I took a deep breath, preparing for the speech I was about to give.

"Wait," he interuptted, pushing my hand away from his face. "Before you chew me out, let me just get this out. You may not want to hear it, but I need to get it off my chest." He paused, collecting his thoughts for a moment, before continuing. "I meant what I said, earlier. I loved you when I left you, I loved you everyday after that, and I love you now. I don't think I'll ever love anyone else the way I love you." He held up his hand as I opened my mouth to interject. "Let me finish, please."

I was surprised enough that Jordan, a guy I knew did what he wanted when he wanted, was asking permission to keep talking that I agreed without further thought. "I know that you said you might not be able to ever forgive me, and as much as I hate myself for it, I understand. So, I'm proposing that we go slow. Start over, sort of. Try to be friends. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could call you mine right at this second, but I know I lost my rights to that. I want to earn your trust back. And even if all we ever are as friends, I think I'd be satisfied enough with that to live out my life, even if I die alone. It'd hurt like hell if you married somebody else, but if I still got to be in your life, I'd let it happen. So, please, all I'm asking for is one last chance. That's all."

----------------------------

Jordan

Rae's jaw had gone slack, and she stared at me like I'd grown another head while I was talking. Her eyes had turned into saucers, and she looked kind of like someone had slapped her. Shit, I guess the spill-your-guts-out tactic doesn't work. Damn chick flicks.

"I- I'm- Jordan-" she stammered on, unable to come up with anything comprehenisble.

"It's ok, " I assured her. "Take a day or two. Or I guess, reject me right now. Like a band aid. So I can think again by the time training camp rolls around."

She gasped, like I'd said something offensive. "Jordan. You honestly think I could kick you out after-- after all that? Where did it even come from?"

I shurgged, not used to people calling me out on my display of emotions. Well, I guess that's probably because they usually had something to do with pounding someone's face in. I dropped my eyes to the floor when I felt a childish blush begin to heat up my face.

Then, the strangest thing happened. Out of the blue, Rae wrapped her arms around me, hugging me tight. I froze, unsure what was the appropriate response to this action. Like she could read my mind, she whispered, "You can hug me, Jordan."

Not even a millisecond later I threw my arms around her, pulling her right to my chest, and seriously debating ever letting her go. Her giggle was muffled by my shirt, her breath hot through the material. "Jesus, Jordan. I didn't say crush me."

I released her immdeately, afraid of screwing anything up. "I'm sorry I didn't-"

My words stopped when I saw her face, smiling back me. Her hands rested on my thighs from where she stood between my knees. I struggled to keep my thoughts squeaky clean failing miserably.

Thankfully, her grin said that I was off the hook for now. "Let's just enjoy the night, as friends, ok? Drink a beer together, do a little dancing. And I want to know all about your boys. How's Malkin? And Crosby? Fluery's been kicking some ass lately too."

I laughed, beaming on the inside. She's been watching, my mind whispered, as I followed her outside.

-------------------------

Rae

Jordan was positively glowing, from where he stood beside me as we chatted with a guy he'd played hockey with back in the day. The guy had made a pass at me, but had instantly taken it back when Jordan's arm threw itself across my shoulders. One compliment and his ego blows up like a balloon.

I had no idea what they were talking about; all I was aware of was Jordan's constant nearness. The guy had been glued to my side for the past hour, and I was starting go crazy.

Before long, they were shaking hands and saying goodbye. I smiled and waved, trying to control my hormones, raging like a 16-year-old girl's. Since we walked outside, Jordan found every excuse to touch me, reach across me, wrap a "friendly" arm around me.

"You alright?" he asked, plopping down into a chair at a table with Eric, Marc, Parker, and a woman I didn't recognize.

"Yeah, I'm fine." No, I'm not. Stop touching me or I'm going to jump your bones in front of all the people we know. That wasn't the plan. No. I planned on taking this really, really slow. Like snail's pace. But I had forgotten how Jordan made me feel, especially when he was giving off some serious bedroom eye vibes.

"Here, sit." He pulled out the chair next to him, patting the seat. My butt was on the seat for less than a second when Jared joined me on the other side. His eyes passed over something near my back, and he confused me further when a little mocking half smile slid across his features. Then I realized Jordan's hand rested aross the back of the chair, possively claiming me for the moment. Giving Jared the finger from the shelter of the table cloth, I turned back to the conversation.

"... camping for the weekend. Mom and Dad can watch Parker, and it'll be just like when we were kids," Eric finished, leaving me completely lost.

"Hell yeah. Camping under the stars, spending all day on the lake, lighting off fireworks until the trees almost catch on fire..." Marc trailed off wistfully, adding to plans I had been zoning out.

"What do you think Rae? Could you do it?"

Every head at the table swivled in my direction, and I was so lost that a blush automatically crept up under my cheeks. I glanced at Jordan, who had cracked a grin, no doubt having noticed the fresh color on my face. "Camping. We were talking about getting the old gang together, you, Eric, Marc, Jared, me. Oh, plus Tayna, of course." He nodded in the direction of the pretty blonde seated next to Eric. "Just two nights. The married people gotta get back to their little spawn."

"Watch yourself," Tanya taunted right back, "Might wake minus a ball or two."

"Balls?" Parker asked hopefully.

The whole table cracked up as Eric fumbled to come up with some G-rated explanation of how those were not the type of balls his wife was referring to.

"Anyways, do you want to come?" Marc asked.

--------------------

Jordan

I held my breath, praying that Rae would say yes. I was already doing the mental math of how many people could fit in a tent, and if I could weasle my way into her's.

She sighed, leaning back into my arm momentarily, forgetting it was there. I had seen her give Jared the bird earlier when he pointed it out. "I don't see why not. I don't really have any plans-"

"Yee-hah!" Marc shouted, jumping up, and not waiting for Rae to finish. "I'll go tell the good news to the parental units." He swooped Parker up into his arms, saying, "Guess who gets to spend the whole weekend with Grandma and Grandpa, buddy?", gone before Eric or Tanya could protest.

"Well, I guess we're all going, eh?" I said light-heartedly.

Chuckles rumbled as everyone simultaneously turned back to their drinks and previous conversations. Rae's back was warm against my arm as my thoughts spun out of control. Two nights of sleeping within inches of Rae would be dangerous for my health. Not to mention spending the days with her in a bikini...

"Earth to Jordan." I jumped when Rae poked my side. "What are you thinking so hard about?"

"I wasn't thinking about anything," I spewed way too quickly to not be a lie.

She gave me a look. "Yes, you were. Whenever you're thinking about something you get a little wrinkle right here," she poked my forehead, directly between my eyebrows. "Three years doesn't change your habits."

I cleared my throat, stalling for time, trying to think of a cover up. "It wasn't anything important. I was, um, just thinking about inviting one or two of the guys up. That's all."

"Really?" she practically squealed, leaning in way too close for her own good. My body was dangerously close to committing mutiny against my brain. "Who? Please say Letang, or Neal. Or even Malkin."

"No way," I said immediately. No way was I inviting guy that wasn't in a committed relationship. Or any guy that made Rae squeal. "Even if I wanted to invite them, Geno's in Russia anyways. And Letang's probably busy. And Nealer isn't a big fan of me."

She shot me a brief glare. "You would make excuses to not invite all the hot ones."

I slid an arm around her shoulders, pulling her against my chest. "Always," I whispered gruffly in her ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Breathe, by Ryan Star

First off, I am so, so, so, so sorry this took so long. I couldn't decide what to do with this. I hope it's alright. The beginning is my favorite part.

Second, I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get more comments. BUT, this story's got 8 or 9 stars I think, so I'm still going to give you guys a poll choice here.

Which Pens player(s) should Jordan invite up?

a) Crosby and Letang
b)Fleury and TK
c)Cooke and TK
d)Fluery and Crosby

As a side note, I'm going to need at least 5 comments to make it a fair polling, so why don't ya'll drop a comment.

I'll try to make the next chapter a little longer and better, and try to build on their relationship a little more. But, I'm cutting out memories from here on out. I don't think they're really necessary and pull away from the story a little bit.

Peace out dogs!

(P.S. WHO IS SO FRICKING PSYCHED THAT HOCKEY SEASON IS BACK FOR REAL!!!!!!! I ACTUALLY HAVE A LIFE AGAIN!)