Accepting Norm

Accepting Norms

Hi, My name is Adrianna Hernandez. I'm Eight years old. This is my home, I live in Cuba, Santa Clara, reparto Camacho, Avenida Eduardo Chibas. I'm very sad today, because it's my last day here. My family and I are moving, to Canada, Brandon, Manitoba.

I had to say goodbye to my friends, all the memories I have made. I was going to start again. "Adrianna, think of it as an adventure like the once you always go on", said Mama. "But mama, I always go it with my friends!" I told her. "Well then this will be your first solo, and one day you'll have your own tale" She told me smiling brightly. I looked up and gave her a small smile as I went to pack.

I looked through the airplane windows, hoping to see my friends waving from the building, but I didn't see anyone. The put on the belt sign blinked and I buckled in as the airplane was getting ready to take off. I held tightly to the arm rest as the airplane went up in to the air, holding back tears, I looked out positively, as I went abroad to Canada.

It's been three weeks, and it's my first day at a Canadian all English speaking school. It's always white outside, and cold. Sometimes I think I'm gonna freeze over into a human icicle. I was very nervous today, walking to school. Here in Canada there was many different things then that of Cuba. Some how the atmosphere was different. Everyone seemed nice, just like back home. Still mama says I should be careful, cause not everyone is nice. I stepped inside this big building width wise, behind my mom, a rush of warmth surrounded me. A lot of kids and adults floated around, some looked my age.

"Adrianna Hernandez, yes your in grade three, Mrs. Dufferin's class, welcome to Dorset park elementary sweetie, here let me get you someone to help you" said the lady sitting at the receptionist desk in the office. I nodded my head, clenching on to my moms dress. The nice lady picked up the phone and dialed a number, talking to someone, then hang up the phone, going back to her work. I played with my moms dress as we waited.

My new class was very different. Every one sat and talked, the teacher had to try hard to get our attention. In my old school, everyone was quite, you would never talk unless it was necessary. There was some similarities, for example, class rules, to respect, and do your homework, or ask permission before leaving the class room. The biggest difference, it was that here I didn't have to wear uniform. I stayed at my desk doing my work, we we're doing some math problems.

I looked around, everyone was chatting and doing their work. I felt like I didn't belong, because I was alone. I had no one to talk or do my work with like everyone. I sat alone in the only seat left in the class, and that's way in the back of the class room. "Ok class, we'll be having recess in a few minutes so start putting your things away" said Mrs. Dufferin. I did as we were told, every one was just eager to follow instructions. The voices got louder as time passed, and then the bell rang. Every one jumped up and ran out of the class. "Ah, Adrianna, are you enjoying class so far?" she asked. I nodded my head shyly. "If anything isn't going well ,you can always ask me for help or tell me, ok?" she said with a kind smile. I nodded, before leaving the class.

I sat down on the ground leaning on to the wall, watching everyone play, there were so many different games like, soccer, skipping ropes, and more. Even the boys and girls played together. Then a shadow passed over my head, I looked up to see a girl. She was white, blonde hair and blue eyes. She looked pretty, she was also in my class, behind her there were a few kids from our class. "Hi, my name is Norma, but everyone calls me Norm, That's Mandy and Tessa" Norm said pointing at the two girls behind her. "Hi, my name is Adrianna" I said. She nodded her head, then looked me u p and down. "Is this what you were in your country?" she asked, I nodded my head. "Aren't you cold?" she went on, I once again nodded. "Then why are you wearing it, it looks sort of weird" I was surprised and a little hurt. I looked weird. "I don't mean to be mean, it's not the out fit someone wears in the middle of winter" she said.

The bell rang recess end, I sat in class, we were doing some art works. "Class I'll be right back" she said as she left the room. Norm, came over, and sat down beside me. Some of the kids in class were watching us. "that's a pretty flower" said Norm. "Ya, it is, actually it's my country's national flower", Norm smiled as she nodded her head. "Oh, what's that odd looking bird?" she asked pointing. "That's my country's national bird" I said feeling a bit offended. Norm went a little red. "I'm sorry" She said. There was a pause filled with silence.

"So are you coming to Mandy's party ?" she asked. I shook my head no. "Oh" she said, things got more awkward. "See you around" she said, leaving to join back with her friends. I once again watched everyone alone. When the day ended I went home, crying. No one really accepted me. I told my mom, I told her I wanted to go back, to everyone else in Cuba. Mom encouraged me to try. "Nina, keep trying, how about I take you shopping and we'll get you new clothes." she said. I nodded my head. Little did I know that, I was going to be alone for the next couple of months.

Four months has passed.

School is almost done, but still nothing has really changed. I'm mostly left alone, to do things alone. I still try though, I wear different clothes, I bring different food home, I try to be like them so they would think I'm normal, cool even. No one really notices me, not even Norm. There have been lot of parties but I never get invited. To top everything else, my home has changed as well. The only person who really supports me, is my mom. My dad changed, he doesn't like what I'm becoming. He always say "Your abandoning your people" or "I don't like what your becoming". I really am not. I'm just trying to fit in!

Lunch had finished, and we were doing some art works. I was drawing a beaver when someone pulled the chair to the table next to me and sat down in it. It was Norm. I looked at her, my eyes wide. "um..hey, how are you?" she said, she smiled, but I could see she was nervous because she was fidgeting. "Hi" I said. I waited anticipating, was she going to invite me out, was she going to make fun of me. "So, my birthday is coming up, it's in two days, would you like to come" I felt delighted upon hearing those words, I looked around everyone was watching us.

In that moment something snapped, I understood, I was going to become one of them, not myself. I wanted to belong, but I wanted to be myself. "Why are you asking me? I mean we're not friends" I asked her. "Well, before you were really different, I mean your outfit and attitude, but now you seem more normal, like your on the same level as us, and I thought maybe we could be friends" she said. I watched everyone, their expressions changing when Norm said that. Norm was popular alright, and she can changes every one's idea of me. That doesn't mean I should just move to her whims. "Do you think I'm weird?" I asked after building up all my courage.

"No, no way, your … nice" she said. "then can I wear an outfit from back home to your party?" I asked cautiously. She considered it. "If that's all you have, I mean I think it's cool, but you know it's just different" she said. I wanted to be accepted, but I was going to find a way to be myself as well. "Okay, I'll be there" I said. She passed me an invitation card. "See you then!" She said smiling, and moving back to her place in the classroom.

"MAMA! I'm home" I called out, my mom popped her head from the fridge. "Hi Nina, you look happy", she said smiling. My father sat at the dining table. He watched us, as I beamed at my mother nodding my head. My mom closed the fridge door, and faced me as she leaned on the counter. "What happened at school today?" she asked, intent to hear what I had to say. "It was the usual day, till Norm came over to the seat next to me, she invited me to her birthday party in two days" I babbled. "Will there be boys?" My father asked. "Of course, she invited the whole class" I replied. "No, you can't go" He said strictly. I stared at him in disbelief, he was going to take my happiness. "Honey" my mom began. "I HATE YOU!" I said, running up to my room.

Later on, it was night, I was going down stair to get a glass of milk, before bed. I didn't eat dinner today, I was really upset with my dad. How could he do that, just when things were getting better. As I crept past the living room, I heard my parents talk, I decided to eavesdrop on their conversation, and stood beside the door, hidden by it, and listen. "Honey, that was harsh" my mom was saying. "Was it really? Are you seeing what my daughter is becoming?" "Sweetheart she's only trying to fit in" "She doesn't need them" "Yes she does, my dear, she's a kid, she wants to be accepted, let her go" "But she's changing, becoming so much like the kids here, she isn't Cuban" "Of course honey, we aren't in Cuba anymore, things are different, and she needs to adjust, I pretty sure she hasn't forgotten Cuba, or the ways their, she just wants friends, I'm sure she'll find a balance, have some faith" My father sighed, "Alright she can go the party, but your dropping her" my father told my mother.

2 Days Later

"Bye mama" I said as I kissed my mom's cheek and got out of the car, I think for once my dad approved of how I was going out. I walked over to Norm's house and knocked on the door. Norm opened it. "WOW you look pretty" she said. I smiled, I did the best I could think of. "You look cool" chipped in Mandy. "How'd you manage to do that?" Norm asked. "Well I took a dress I normally wear to school, and add some stuff I wore back home" I told them. They were awed. The party went well and I was happy. Most of all I was happy that I was accepted for being myself, or rather I found a way to do both and be ok. I really was happy I took this adventure.

I was me for the longest bit, and no one could change me.