When It Became Over Powering

Somewhere Hiding Underneath

Ryan searched every cabinet and every closet he knew he had a phone book somewhere, he just wasn’t sure where. He needed it he was starving he checked the kitchen, his room and the guest room there was no sign of the book but he found a small amount of weed. He set it on the coffee table for later and went into the garage he assumed it’d be in there, most things he didn’t want ended up in there. He walked down the small hall that connected the kitchen to the laundry room and the laundry room to the garage. He pulled the door open and flipped on the light switch.

“Shit.”

He had never realized how much junk he had accumulated in the garage; he didn’t want to sort through all of that. Then it hit him, he could use the internet to find the number. He lightly slapped his palm against his forehead; he didn’t understand how he could be so absent minded at times. He turned back around and went straight to his bedroom, he sat on his unmade bed and turned his laptop on, and while he waited for it to start up he looked around his room and decided he’d clean it up tomorrow.

He looked up any Chinese places that delivered then he saved the number onto his phone and hit call. Staring at the menu online as he ordered; he made sure to order enough food to last him a few days. He was informed it’d be a little over a half-hour before his food was delivered. He decided he’d finally take a shower, god knows how long he’d been in the same clothes. He searched through his drawers and realized he’d have to do laundry soon; he pulled out a pair of sweats an old V-neck t-shirt and a pair of boxers. He held it close and walked to his bathroom.

He turned the knobs until he got the perfect temperature; He stepped into the warm water and let out a sigh. He missed this, he missed being home and relaxing. He missed having time to himself, time to think. He heard a sound and his paranoia set in, his heart ponded in his chest. He washed his hair as quickly as possible and shut the water off. He dried off and tugged his clothing on. what if someone had broken in? Or maybe they walked in had he remembered to lock the door?


Ryan tried to assure himself that it was nothing but he still took down the shower curtain bar and held it as he slowly and quietly made his way down the stairs. He looked in the kitchen and in the living room there was no one, his heartbeat steadied and he let out a sigh of relief and took his wallet off the coffee table, he took out the amount he had been told he would pay and a tip. He walked to the front door and unlocked it. He decided to sit on the porch until his food arrived.

He sat on the steps and hummed a melody, he noticed a car in front of his house, it wasn’t on so it had to be one of the neighbors, don’t they have their own driveway?
“Goddamn neighbors” Ryan mumbled.

He hated his neighbors they were so goddamned nosey and they constantly did things to annoy him. He was tempted to go yell at his neighbor to move his piece of shit away from his house, but he forgot all about it when he saw a small white car pull up. He waited in anticipation as the man cut the engine and walked around to the passenger seat to get the box of food out.

Ryan was practically bouncing when the man walked up the drive way. His mouth watered and his stomach lurched. He eagerly jumped up and handed the man the money and took the box.

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome have a nice day.”

Ryan gave a small nod but raced inside not bothering to lock the door behind him. He set
the food on the coffee table and dug into his food.

“Ryan?”

He jumped in fear and looked around until he spotted Jon. What was he doing here they hadn’t talked in months.

“Jon what are you-”

“Sorry, you’re never home. I-uh when Cassie and I fight I come and stay here.”

Ryan could have questioned further, he could have kicked him out he could have shouted; but if he wanted his life to change he had to have friends, he needed good people around. Instead of saying anything he offered Jon a carton of food. Jon took it and gave a small smiled and began to eat.

============


The sound of the generic ringtone woke Ryan up. He reached for it and blinked at the screen until his eyes focused; it was Alex he hit ignore. He looked around wondering where Jon had gone to his eyes focused on the coffee table. The Chinese food wasn’t there it was a box of half eaten pizza; The TV wasn’t playing Aladdin it was just soft-core porn. He shook his head it had all been a dream, he had made it all up in his mind. He went back to his former position and tried to will himself back to sleep.