Virus

Wolves

I'm what people called a injected, though unlike most of my kind I was in control of the monster, most of the time. The infected in me lived like another being in me. We where able to talk and communicate with each other. It took me years to learn about myself and Monster, and a few more to finaly be able to stay in one place for longer than a month.

When i finally had a place to call home I was able to learn about a part of the world where no human would have been able to find. Hidden behind businesses and companies where secret places where creatures who wernt human played.

Like tonight I found a bar that was hidden in a basement of a night club. It took me a while to find out where this place was but the creature at the door let me through with one glance and I was served my drink. I sat in the back where I could watch everyone. I wanted to learn about the different creatures but everything seemed quiet. Everyone seemed nervous about something.

I sighed leaning back in my seat. There was a big group of people gathered to one side of the room. One of them a big man with blonde hair cut short and looked like he lives in a gym stood making the group go silent. They turned to him and he made sure everyone was watching him.

"What are we going to do about the infected." He asked his voice a deep bass.

"Nothing. Anything that gets scratched by then turns into one of them." A man probably a half foot shorter than the other said.

The first man growled slamming his fist against a table.

"They already got three of my wolves. I would move the pack but where ever we go there a more of them." He growled his eyes turning a pale gold color.

"Conor getting mad isn't going to do anything." A talk girl said putting her hand in his shoulder.

"How am I to protect my pack if I can't kill the thing that threatens them."

"We will think of something." She said leaning against him. Without realising it I could feel Monster looking through my eyes at what was happening.

"There could be a feast." She said and I felt my stomach cramp with hunger. Monster was always hungry, she never missed a chance to feast.

"I prefer not to eat anything supernatural." I said with a small smile.

"Yes yes. I know yet the infected could be a fun snack." That suprised me.

"A fun snack? We have never eaten one before."

"It doesn't matter to me as long as I get to feast." She growled looking over the group. I didn't realize the wolf was looking at me his gold eyes looking like fire.

"You have been watching and mummbling to yourself for a while now." He growled coming over to stand over me.

"Sorry i was just talking to myself." I smiled and I knew with Monster so close my teeth where sharp and my eyes where a pale glowing green.

"I've never seen you around here before. Who are you? " the shorter man said walking over. He was a vampire. I took a deep breath and retreated it. I would need to eat tonight.

"I just got into town a few days ago. I was listening how many infected have been seen in town?" I asked. The wolf's eyes narrowed at me.

"Six including the three wolves that got infected."

"I see. That's all I wanted to know." I said standing up. I put some money on the on the table and went to leave.

"Why are you so interested in the infected?" The wolf asked. Monster turned us so that she could really look at them. The vampires eyes widen and he stepped away from the wolf. We smiled at him though it was more of a bare of teeth. I met the wolfs eyes and he growled. Monster laughed.

"He thinks he is stronger than us." She laughed.

"Leave it alone." I sighed.

"We could eat him."

"What did I just say." I growled. Monster sighed.

"We are leaving now." I said turning my back to them. The wolf growled and my hand reached behind me to stop his fist from hitting me. I snarled pulled his arm and got behind him. My fingure tips turned to claws and I held them just above the wolfs throat. I growled fighting Monster to keep control.

"I'm not here to fight wolf. I was here for a simple drink. There is no need to fight." I said pulling away. He stumbled away from me looking shocked. I quickly turned away and left before anything else happened.

Out in the street I took a deep breath while music poured out of the club behind me.

"Why did you follow me?" I asked. The vampire stood a little ways away watching me.

"Just curious." He smiled flashing white fangs.

"I would stick around and chat but I'm hungry and need to go get." I said.

"I know a good place to eat."

"We are thinking of a different kind of eating." I smiled. He looked confused for a second.

"It was nice meeting you but I do need to go." I said and turned and walked away.

"Vampires are strong, he would be a fun meal." Monster purred. I shook my head but smiled anyway.

<♤>

Monster and I ended up finding a infected and even managed to lure it into the woods around the city. She enjoyed hunting something that didnt faint at the sight of us. Something that could actually put up a fight. After she ate her fill she went to sleep leaving me in control. I streached feeling stiff. The infected had gotten a few good hits on us. My left leg had healing claw marks on it and my lower back.

The woods around us where splattered in blood and gore.

I heard something coming and quickly jumped into a tree. Two wolves came into view. They slowed and stopped just outside before the carnage. They where much smaller than I was in my wolf form, probably half my size.

The wolves shifted reveiling the wolf I saw at the bar. He bent down and reached out for a puddle of blood. I growled jumping from the tree. Both of them froze.

"You shouldn't touch that." I said standing in the middle of the mess.

"Why?" The one who's name was Conner asked.

"This was a infected. Touch the blood and you can become one." He quickly stepped back away from the blood.

"Then why are you standing in the middle of this mess." The other wolf said. I smiled at him.

"You came before I could clean up this mess. I don't like leaving my table scraps all over the place." I smiled.

"What are you talking about?" Conner asked.

"I'm cant become a infected." I said picking up a piece of meat off the ground. I was temped to eat it but shook my head and put it next to the main body.

"Your walking through the remains of a infected so how can you not become one of them."

"Can't become something you already are." I smiled. They stood there in silence for a while. I put all I could in a pile and pulled a liter out of my pocet. For some reason the infected burned really easily.

"I would keep you're wolves away until the rain comes and washes this away." I said breaking the silence. Both wolves jumped and looked at me like they saw a ghost.

"Your a infected?" Conner asked.

"Yes." I said watching the dead infected burn to ashes.

"You killed this infected?"

"Yes."

"Do others act like you?" The other wolf asked.

"Not that I know of. Most of them are mindless killing machines. Though they hunt at night most of the time."

"How does one get infected."

"While in beast form if I break your skin you will become one."

"Become the wolf?" He asked.

"It could be anything, any predator. From snakes to birds, if it eats fleash there is a infected of it. Wolves seem to be the most common though."

"How are you different than a werewolf?"

"I could never fit into a wolf pack. Even if you people are wolves you still retain most of your humanity. I have a monster in me. She isn't picky on what she eats but she is easily bored." I said and felt her stir. The wolves stepped away as she looked through my eyes changing them from they're dark grey color to her glowing green.

"You talk to much." She yawned. I felt a smile touch my face.

"We can eat all we want if we don't have to leave because the wolves are after us."

"True the infected was fun to play with. And there are more around." She purred.

"I still don't see how you are different from a werewolf."

"Werewolves are not much bigger than real wolves. They can get to be about 300 pounds, right?"

"True Conner is one of the bigger wolves, not many are bigger than him."

"Compaired to werewolves infected are monsterous. We are almost to big to be running around the woods let alone in the city. Though we can hide our form pretty well."

"How long have you been infected?" The other wolf asked.

"A few years though I haven't changed much since I was attacked, I look the same as I did the night I was attacked." I smiled looking at the sky start to lighten up. I hated the day, my eyes where to sensitive to handle the light unless I had sunglasses on. The sunlight made me feel uncomfortable.

"A few years?"

"Yes." I said stepping into a shadow of a tree. The wolves noticed and looked at the rising sun.

"I would like to invite you to the pack house." Connor said docking both me and the other wolf.

"I'm a infected and your inviting me to stay with your pack."

"Yes if you can kill the infected then you are the only hope I have at protecting my pack." He said meeting my eyes. I watch him for a minute and laughed.

"I guess I could stay with you for a while. What do you say Monster?" I asked out loud. She looked through my eyes again and growled at the growing light.

"I do not care as long as I am able to eat." She said.

"Yes but remember no eating the locals." I said shaking my head. She grumbled but went back to sleep.

"Two beings living in one body. Not conected at all." The wolf said thinking about it.

"Me and Monster are pretty close. She just doesn't play nice with others, most of the time." I smiled.

"Let's hurry back to the pack house. Most of the pack will be asleep still and it will take us a while to walk there as humans."

"Go as wolves, I'll be able to keep up." I said stepping deeper into a shadow. The wolves look at each other and started to shift. It was slow and sounded painful. Nothing like how I became a wolf. With me it only took a second and I was a wolf.

Both wolves looked over at me when they had finished and I waved them away. They ran off and once out of sight I took a step and the next I was a wolf, a wolf much larger than them.