Status: SCHOOL TIME IS BUSY. I'M SORRY. I LOVE YOU. I'LL GET BACK WHEN I HAVE TIME. I SHOULD TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK NOW.

Bad Boys & True Love

Tre

“Oh my God, Stella!” I heard the voice that undeniably belonged to Christina screech before I saw her running up to me. She looked so pretty with her hair all straightened to perfection and wearing a cute dress that she bought while we were at the mall last week. I felt terribly hideous in comparison.

Her face was flushed and there was a twinkle in her chocolate-colored eyes that I hadn’t noticed before. She grabbed my hands and squeezed them. It looked as though she was restraining from screaming at the top of her lungs.

“Uh…what is it?” I asked cautiously.

“Stells, he asked me out on a date tonight!” She squealed. “Mike asked me to dinner!”

“You said yes this time, didn’t you?”

“Yes!” she shrieked. “I’m so excited. I haven’t been on a real date since freshman year!”
The students passing by on their way to class gave her vaguely amused looks. If it had been me jumping up and down and screaming, I would’ve been called a freak and a weirdo.

“I’m so happy for you,” I told her. I was thrilled that Mike was actually taking this seriously—but I also couldn’t help but feel a little jealous. Not about Mike specifically; just the fact that she had a guy in general. Then again, that was how it always was between us.

She smiled down at me. “Thanks, Stella. You’re okay with me dating Mike, right?”

That shocked me a bit. “Um, yeah,” I laughed, “you don’t have to ask for my consent, Christina.”

Christina bent down and hugged me, making me feel very small. I was small enough already, but Christina had supermodel legs so I was nearly a foot shorter than her. “I know I don’t have to—but I want to.”

“Well, thanks,” I replied, feeling myself blush. “So, where’s he taking you?”

This lovesick grin broke out on her face. “He told me it’s a surprise, but I should dress kinda fancy. I wanted to kiss him then and there.”

“You should’ve, it would have made his day,” I joked. She giggled.

“Whatever. Anyways, I was hoping I could get ready at your house…? You know my mom, she’ll scare him away.” She batted her big eyes at me hopefully.

“Yeah, of course! We can get you all prepped up for your big date while dancing to Stevie Nicks—it’ll be awesome!”

Christina laughed and hugged me around my neck. “Thanks, Stella. You’re the coolest person ever, I swear.” She ran off to her next class just as the warning bell rang, and I saw at least three different guys watch her go. Lucky girl.

I made my way to my class. It was all the way upstairs but I didn’t rush since Mr. Carter never cared if we were late. I examined my nails, wondering if we’d have enough time after school to get manicures before her date with Mike. I didn’t see the giant guy in front of me until it was too late and I ran right into his back.

“Oh, sorry,” I said immediately, blushing before they even turned around. “My bad.”

Drew Buchanan turned around and looked like he was ready to say something rude, but I guess my terrified expression caught him off-guard, and he smiled soothingly. “No problem. Have I seen you before?”

“Uh, y-yeah,” I stuttered. I’m a loser. Okay, Stella, confidence. “I—um—at the dance studio.”

He nodded knowingly. “Oh yeah. You’re a dancer.” It didn’t go unnoticed that his eyes raked over my body. I felt a shimmer run down my back. “Maybe you could show me some moves sometime.”

Drew winked at me and then sauntered away. It took me a second to realize my heart was racing a mile a minute. I never talked to people like Drew. I was always told that guys like him—bad boys—were bad news. I wouldn’t doubt it. I could only imagine the conniption my mom would have if she’d seen us talking.

But that was what made him exciting.

*

“How does this look? Stella?”

My eyes snapped away from my bedroom window. From the angle of my bed, I couldn’t see Sean’s bedroom, but that didn’t stop me from wondering. Was he sitting on his bed listening to music? Or was he hooking up with Megan Walters again? Ugh!

“What?” I asked Christina. She stood in front of my mirror, twirling around.

“How does it look?”

I looked at her clothes. She had changed dresses, this one looking a bit more provocative than the one she wore at school. It had a plunging neckline and was really tight on her body, not to mention it stopped so shortly I knew her mom would faint if she ever saw her.

“Um…I don’t think that’s ‘fancy,’” I said tentatively. “Try that pink one.” I pointed to the cute dress that was thrown over my chair.

“Too cutesy,” she pouted, not even trying it on. “I want to look sexy for him, Stella!”

“It’s your first date,” I retorted. “I think ‘cutesy’ will have to do.”

She groaned and stripped out of her dress and, completely ignoring the pink one, walked over towards my closet.

“Hey, watch it! My curtains are open!” I warned. God, what if Sean had been looking right as she’d walked by? “Honestly, Christina, I really doubt we’re the same size.”

Christina whirled around, her bottom lip quivering. “Are you calling me fat?”

My eyes bulged. “No! God, Christina, what’s with you being so insecure? It’s just Mike.”

“He’s not ‘just Mike!’” Christina wailed. “He’s so perfect and now I’m worrying that I won’t be good enough for him. I really like him, Stella.”

“I know,” I murmured in my most soothing voice, “I know, sweetie. But I promise you’ll look great no matter what you wear. Your date will be awesome, mark my words.”

She walked over to where I laid on the bed—forgetting about the window-thing again—and crawled in with me. She sniffled and clung to me like a baby koala. “Promise?”

I wanted to laugh at how childish she was being when she usually oozed confidence. Christina had always been my role model when it came to guys—but then again, I’d never helped get ready for a date before.

“I promise. Now go put on whatever dress you like.”

She nodded and jumped out of my bed, grabbing a purple dress that she’d tried on twenty minutes ago and sliding into it. It looked absolutely great on her figure and the color went well with her tan skin. I gave her a thumbs up.

There was a knock on my door and a second later I heard it open. “We’re almost done, Mom,” I said and turned around.

It wasn’t my mom at the door.

Sean grinned at me and I my heart reacted so violently I thought it would erupt from my chest.

“W-what are you doing here?” I asked incredulously.

“Your mom let me up; I was dragged here for dinner. May I?” I nodded wordlessly, too stunned to form any coherent thoughts, and he came in, leaving the door open behind him. “You look nice,” he said to Christina.

I looked over my shoulder at her to see her smirk. I guess having a guy compliment her was all she needed to reboot her confidence. She didn’t even seem flustered by Sean’s appearance—Mike must have really made an impression on her.

“You don’t mind me hanging out with you, do you?” he asked me.

I stared back at his wide blue eyes. They were almost navy-colored and reminded me of the ocean. Not the shoreline, but the in the middle of nowhere where it’s deep and dark and you couldn’t even fathom how bottomless it is. I’m not sure if I replied or not.

“Well, you two have fun. I, on the other hand, have got a hot date,” Christina boasted.

“Who with?” Sean asked casually.

“Mike Lewis,” she squealed, barely containing herself.

Sean raised an eyebrow. “He’s on JV, right?” Christina nodded. “Have fun.”

“Thanks!” She grabbed a pair of silver gladiator sandals—mine, of course, since we were sadly the same size despite our height difference—and grinned slyly. “I just got a text while you were talking, so,” she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, “you two kids have fun.”

Then she skipped out of my room, leaving me with Sean Winters. I had to swallow back my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooooohhhhhh buddy.