Status: Hop on board.

Easier To Lie

Twenty-One.

Mallory’s drive to John’s house was short. The entire ride she consciously pondered over gift ideas for John’s mother and subconsciously wandered how smoothly this adventure with the guy she’s cheated on Garrett with twice would be.

As she pulled into his driveway, Mallory shook all non-platonic thoughts about John out of her mind. He had apologized and she had accepted. And that was that.

Lightly she honked the horn and soon enough his beanie clad figure trotted down his front steps into her car. John hopped into the car, “Thanks for this, Mal.”, were the first words out of his mouth.

She shrugged and threw the car in reverse, “Don’t worry about it. Besides don’t be thanking me just yet. I might be doing some shopping of my own, bag boy.”

An unmistakable groan passed through his lips but she turned up the radio before he could respond. The rest of the ride was filled relative silence, sometimes broken with comments about her song choice or her driving habits.

Mallory drove through the mall parking lot and looked for a good parking spot. Finally, she decided on a relatively close one. John and she walked to the entrance as she rattled out gift ideas to him which ranged from personalized jewelry to classic flower arrangements to boxes of her favorite chocolates and shoes because no woman could have too many shoes.

John rolled his eyes at the last suggestion and she shoved his shoulder, “Hey, you asked for help buddy.”

“And I probably should have known better than to pick the pregnant woman.” He replied back with a smirk on his lips.

She pointed her finger at him accusingly, “Don’t try me, O’Callaghan. I may be pregnant but I could still kick your scrawny ass.”

He threw his hands up in surrender and chuckled, “I give, I give. So where should we start first?”

Mallory tapped her chin in mock thought, “Well the food court seems appealing, but I guess we can just walk around until something jumps out.”

John sighed before she grabbed his hand and drug him behind her. He caught up with her and slung his arm over her shoulder. Mallory ignored the burst of energy as they walked along instead asked, “So, what does your mother like?”

“I don’t know girly things.” He replied

She rolled her eyes and hip checked him, “Way to be specific. Maybe candles, cooking, gardening?”

John pulled the two of them into a record store, “She’s a great cook. One of the best parts about being home is her home-cooked meals.”

“Then why exactly are we in a music shop.”

John shushed her as he flipped through the vinyl records in front of him. Three records and a CD later they left the shop. Mallory hooked arms with John, “So, I was thinking maybe a cook book for your mom.”

He nodded, “She’d like that. There’s a Barnes&Noble a little ways up here.”

She looked at him oddly he didn’t really strike her as the reading type. John walked the familiar path to the book store before the two slipped in the store the smell of books and coffee thick in the air.

Without speaking the two separated to their opposite sides. The smell of coffee was calling to Mal as she walked over and bought a simple caramel Frappuccino. She made her way to the cookbook section and tried to pick one John’s mother would like.

She looked around for John, but he was nowhere to be found. Finally, she decided on two books; a desserts one and one with main dishes. Satisfied with her decision she tucked them underneath her arm and decided since John shopped for himself she could indulge also.

Mallory walked the aisles, sipped her coffee, and looked for books. A few caught her eye and she did grab one that had been on her want to read list for a while.

Suddenly, someone spun her around. She looked up quickly and relaxed slightly when she realized it was just John, “There yo-“

Her words were cut off by his lips roughly meeting hers. Frozen for a minute; her thoughts are all forgotten. All that there was, was the taste of his lips and his tongue finding hers. He slightly backed her into the bookcase. His hands tightly gripped her waist and her free hand tangled in his hair.

John pulled away, kissed her again, then again, “You taste like caramel.”

A light blush flushed across her cheeks as she bit down on her lip. Their eyes stay connected for a moment longer before reality hits them full force.

John stepped back clumsily, “I-I’m sorry, Mal.”

Mallory stared blankly before she turned for the checkout counter. John followed silently behind even though his thoughts were yelling at him to try and fix this. He should have never kissed her but he just couldn’t help himself. All day long had been a test of his control sure he had apologized to Mal and Garrett; didn’t mean that his feelings for the girl had disappeared over night.

Mallory’s mind was at war with itself. She had cheated on Garrett, again with John, again. She placed the books on the counter, a little harshly. John pulled out his wallet as he placed the book he had selected on top, “These three plus hers.”

The fact that he paid for her book made her anger flare just that much more. She gave the cashier a polite smile; he hadn’t done anything wrong, before glaring at John and storming out of the store.

John cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck nervously as he kept pace with the fiery woman next to him, “Did you need anything else? Maybe something to eat?”

“I’m fine.”

He opened his mouth but she cut him off, “I’m fine, John. I just want to get home.”

John nodded as two exited the mall a heavy cloud hung over them. Mallory’s temper was still hot as she drove John back to his place. She pulled into his driveway but neither of them made a move. She didn’t unlock his door and he didn’t stop looking forward.

“Why? Why, John? Why did you have to mess everything up? Things were going great. You apologized for fucks sakes. You admitted you were wrong for me, so, why do you keep pursuing it?” Mallory fumed at the man next to her.

John turned in his seat, “Because even though I know I’m no good for you. It doesn’t make me want you any less, Mallory Trotter. I still think Garrett is better for you and the baby but it doesn’t help any that every time I see you I want to kiss you, fuck you, hold you, and care for you.”

She huffed out angrily, “That’s really sweet of you, John.”

He shrugged, “I’m just being honest.”

She looked over at him. His sandy brown hair falling around his face into his hazel-green eyes down to his lips that were always pulled up in a slight smirk. She couldn’t deny he was attractive.

But he wasn’t Garrett.

And she told him so and he nodded solemnly, “But that doesn’t mean we can’t be friends, John. You just have to learn to keep your lips and hands to yourself.”

He laughed and the harsh tension between the two slightly broke, “I’ll try, Mal.” And he would try, even if he couldn’t be with her the way he so desperately wanted becoming one of her best friends would be the next best thing. John Cornelius O’Callaghan V, best friend with no benefits what so ever. If that’s all he could get, he would take it.

John got out of her car grabbing his things and watched as she pulled away. After she was out of sight he kicked at concrete. Friends. Just friends. He drug his hands down his face; why did the friendzone have to suck so fucking much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! It's Shelby. :)
So yeah let us know what ya think; I know this is a little on the short side but it'll get better with time no worries. xo