Status: Hop on board.

Easier To Lie

Three.

“Welcome to 8123, kid.” Kennedy told his sister while he walked over to the make-shift bon fire pit. There was already a huge spread set out with dozens of tasty foods for everyone to eat. Mallory couldn’t contain herself; she just had to have a plate.

“Help yourself, I see?” She heard a voice sound from behind her. Mal jumped and looked behind her to see Garrett smirking behind her.

“Oh, um. Was I supposed to wait?” She asked shyly while putting her plateful of food back on the table.

“No, please, have as much as you want. Most girls I know just never dive for the food, they have to be tied down and forced to eat.” Garrett chuckled and Mallory humored him by sending a chuckle herself.

“I think you’ll learn that I’m anything but ‘most girls’ and ‘typical’.” Mallory stated using air quotations around selected words.

“I’m looking forward to it.” Gare outstretched a hand which Mallory took in her own. “Nice to officially meet you, Mallory Trotter.”

“And you too, Garrett Nickelsen.” Mallory smiled at the man. He seemed very friendly.

“Get some, Garrett!” Mallory looked over at John and he raised his beer and waved to them.

“Oh dear, please ignore him. I’m not talking to you because I want to sleep with you. Kennedy said we’re not allowed to. I… I mean, that doesn’t mean I would if I could. Well, I wouldn’t not want to, you’re very attractive and it’s just, I’m not that type of guy, and you’re Kennedy’s sister and all.” Garrett rambled on and on, cheeks turning pink. Mallory was highly amused at this.

“Whoa, it’s okay. I understand what you mean. But as far as Kennedy goes, I can date whoever pleases me. I hate when he does that.” She rolled her eyes. “Except he went out of his way to tell me to stay away from John, so I’ll listen to him on that one.” She chuckled, earning a smile from the bassist.

“Well hey, why don’t we go join the group? You need the whole experience.” Garrett led her to two seats by the fire. She began eating and was happy doing nothing else, that is until Kennedy mentioned her musical ability, and everyone wanted her to sing.

“Oh come on Mallory, you know you can sing like no other.” Kennedy urged her on. Mallory shook her head again. “Please! Or else I’ll play Sesame Street every morning you’re home with me.” Kennedy knew how much Mallory was afraid of huge puppets.

“Okay, okay, someone give me something to work with.” Mal announced while Jared grabbed his guitar.

“How does some Neil Diamond sound?” He asked and Mallory’s face lit up. She loved Sweet Caroline.

Jared played the beginning to the song, and Mallory suddenly felt a rush of energy go through her. As she sang, everyone got still and just stared at her. She ignored it and kept singing until the end.

“Wow, that was pretty amazing.” Pat commented when she finished. Mallory blushed and said a quiet thank you.

“Mallory, want anything to drink?” Kennedy asked her. She froze and looked at him.

“No, no thanks. I’m good.” She stuttered out. “I’m probably going to be heading home not too long from now. It’s been kind of a long day for me.” She chuckled nervously. No one gave a second thought to her sudden nervousness.

At about one a.m Mallory decided to get going. As she stood she heard Garrett ask if she could take him home. She didn’t deny.

“I appreciate you taking me home, Mal.” He said as they drove away.

“It’s not a problem. I’m not really one for partying, and I’m tired enough as it is.” She explained.

Garrett nodded and they fell into a comfortable silence. Only minutes later, she pulled into his driveway. “So, um, again, thanks.” Garrett said while running his hand through his hair.
“Anytime, Gare.” She smiled and leaned over to give him a hug.

“Okay, I’m just going to ask. Do you maybe want to go on a date with me this weekend? Or maybe just dinner? It doesn’t have to be a date.” He rambled again.

Mallory laughed, and he stopped when he heard the sound. “Garrett, I’d love to go on a date with you.”

Garrett got a huge smile on his face. “Yeah?” He asked in disbelief. Mallory nodded. “Okay, tomorrow at maybe, 7 sound good to you?”

“Sounds great.” Mallory told him with a smile gracing her features.

“I’ll see you then,” Garrett got out of the car and walked inside of his house.
Mallory drove home, and she was surprised to see Kennedy was already home. Walking in, she heard some shouting.

“Don’t tell me what to do, you fatty fat… fatty!” Someone slurred. She walked to the living room where she saw Kennedy sitting on the coffee table across from a very drunk John.

“Sorry about him, he didn’t eat enough for all the shots he had.” Kennedy apologized to his sister. It wasn’t the best way to ease her in to his crazy lifestyle.

“I’ll make him something,” Mallory mumbled and went off to the kitchen to make her famous drinking remedy. “Here John, drink this.”

“No, you’re a woman.” John weakly pushed her away.

“If you drink this, I’ll give you twenty bucks.” She reasoned with him.

“Tequila!” John exclaimed octaves higher than his normal voice and chugged the drink. “That was terrible!” He coughed a few times.

“Wait about fifteen minutes and thank me in the morning.” Mallory lightly slapped his cheek and went off to bed.

-

“Morning!” Mallory sang coming down the stairs.

“What the hell did you do to me last night?” John asked her as she passed by.

“You’re welcome,” She smiled and got herself some cereal.

“Kiddo, what are you doing tonight, I thought we could go do something.” Kennedy asked his sister.

“I actually have a date tonight,” She giggled.

“With Garrett?” Kennedy asked.

“How’d you know?”

“He asked me if he could last night before you guys went home. I didn’t know if he would have though.” He laughed.

“Oh, okay,” Mallory smiled thinking about how much of a decent person Garrett must be to ask Kennedy permission.

She went to take a shower and get ready for the date. Mallory knew she didn’t necessarily want a relationship, but a date didn’t seem too bad. Besides, Garrett was such a nice guy, she just had to give him a chance. What was the worst thing that could happen? They go on a date and that’s about it. Mallory was sure since they would be seeing each other that often they would be sort of forced to remain friends in the end.

A knock on the door alerted Mallory that Garrett was there to pick her up. Pushing all of her negative thoughts aside, she put her shoes on and met him at the door. He looked her over.

“You look very pretty,” He commented, handing over a single purple daisy. She loved it.

“Thank you so much,” She said and put it on the table by the door before leaving. Once by his car, he opened the door for you. “You opened the door for me… No one’s ever done that for me.” Mallory said, astonished.

“Chivalry still exists somewhere.” He laughed and they were off for their date.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mallory.
Wow! Comments have been so great. Thank you everyone! Keep it on up!

-G