Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Eleven

September 15th, 2010
Wednesday
Boston Aquarium, Boston, MA
3:30 P.M.

“Look at the penguins Trenton!” said Evangeline pointing to a group of emperor penguins standing on a large rock in the penguin display. Trenton squealed in excitement and leaned out of his mother’s arms and touched the glass, trying to get a closer look at the penguins. David stood next to her smiling at Trenton’s excitement. They walked over to the sting ray tank and David took Trenton and lowered him down so he could touch one. He ran his little hand over its smooth skin and giggled, unfamiliar with the new texture. David picked him back up and said

“You like that buddy?” Trenton giggled again in excitement. They had decided to go out to the Boston Aquarium and then later, they’d be out for dinner. She was beginning to really like David. But the passionate nights with Nathan had been distracting her from completely putting her attention onto him. He’d been over every night for the past week. It wasn’t all sex; they’d curl up on the couch and watch movies or just talk. Evangeline knew David knew something was up with Nathan and her but he didn’t say anything about it.

They went back to the Penguins display and Evangeline leaned over the railing to get a better look at a penguin that had jumped into the water and was swimming away. She yelled in fear as she felt herself leaning to far over and could see down into the tank vertically. She then felt a pair of large hands grab her hips and pull her back she stumbled backwards into David’s arms. It took her a moment to recover from shock and then she realized David hadn’t let go of her. He held her tightly and said

“That was scary, I almost lost you,” She straightened herself up and then she turned to look into his gray eyes. She was without a doubt falling for him.

“Thanks,” she said. They pulled apart but the physical connection was still there. They spent the next hour there, looking at all the different displays. David took her hand and led her over to a gift shop; he didn’t let her hand fall loose from his as they looked around.

“Look at this,” he said with a grin. He pulled at giant pink stuffed dolphin off a shelf.

“It’s so cute,” said Evangeline.

“It’s yours,” said David. He then reached up and pulled another big blue stuffed dolphin off the shelf and said “And this one’s for Trenton.”

“You’re so sweet,” said Evangeline. David went over and paid for the two dolphins and handed the pink one over to her. She smiled and said “Thank you so much,” She threw her arms around David and gave him a hug. Not hesitating, David wrapped his arms around her. “What should I name it?” she asked. David laughed and said

“How about pinkey since it’s pink.” Evangeline laughed and said

“I like the name Pearl,” David smiled and said

“Pearl it is then,”

“I’ll let Trenton name his; he’s always pretty creative with that.” They walked around a bit more, hand in hand and then left for dinner. They went to a nice little restaurant on the Boston shoreline. They were seated and David and Evangeline sat across from each other while Trenton sat at the end of the table in a high chair. While waiting for the waiter to come back and take their orders David said

“If I hadn’t of caught you you would have went right over into that tank and into the water.”

“If you hadn’t of been there.” she said smiling. “You’re a great guy David.”

“Am I awesome?” he said laughing.

“Yes you are awesome,” she said laughing back.

“Amazing?” he said in a lower tone. She looked up into his eyes again and said

“Yes, you are amazing.” She was so hooked on him; she needed to get herself over Nathan which seemed like an impossible task. He was the father of her child, and yet here was a perfect man willing to take that role. They ordered and the food came quickly. Evangeline watched lovingly as David played with Trenton and helped feed him throughout dinner. He took control of the situation when Trenton picked up a piece of chicken bone on his plate and tried to throw it at the woman sitting in the next booth. His whole demeanor seemed so kind, comforting, and playful, but stern when he had to be. After he’d taken the chicken bone from him Trenton seemed to be getting upset but David calmed him down by talking softly to him. It seemed like Trenton was attached to David by the end of the night because when David handed Trenton to Evangeline to put his coat on Trenton screeched loudly, clearly upset. David took him back and he seemed to be totally at peace again.

David drove her home and walked her up to her apartment. They stood outside the door for a moment before Evangeline went inside. He first put his attention on Trenton and said

“Bye buddy, I gotta go but I’ll see you real soon ok?” Trenton squealed in excitement and leaned forward from Evangeline’s arms to try and get back to David. He looked up at her and said

“Another amazing day with you tomorrow would be nice,” she smiled and said

“Definitely,”

“Sounds good,” he said. “I’ll call you tomorrow morning with an idea of where we should go.”

“Alright, goodnight David,”

“Night,” he said. “Sweet dreams,” he then leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the cheek. It sent an electric wave through her body. He smiled at her and retreated down the hallway. As he stepped into the elevator he looked back at her with a smirk, knowing full well what he’d made her feel like. He waved goodbye as the doors shut, hiding him from sight. Evangeline leaned against the wall for another moment with her squirming son in her arms. She finally went inside and still in shock, threw her purse down onto the counter and went into her bedroom. She placed Trenton on the bed. He clearly was not in thee mood for sleep. He rolled over onto his back giggling. He had spotted the dolphins she’d put down with her purse on the kitchen counter and made his way to the edge of the bed, thinking he’d be capable of getting down by himself. She put him back to the center and went and got the two dolphins. He got more thrilled when she placed them both next to him. He curled up with the blue one and seemed content on staying there. Evangeline sat on the edge of the bed still in shock when she heard a knock on the door. She knew it was Nathan. As she opened the door she hoped it would be David again. She saw Nathan standing there smiling.

“So how was your day? You seem a little surprised to see me.” He said.

“It was good,” said Evangeline. Nathan came in and she shut the door. “Went out to the aquarium and out to eat.”

“With who?” he asked.

“David and Trenton.” She said, a little nervous about his reaction. He rolled his eyes and said

“What can I do to get you to stop dating him?”

“Nothing,” said Evangeline. “He’s really sweet, he gets along with Trenton, and he’s a real gentleman.”

“I do all that,” said Nathan. She would never be able to make him understand. She would stop trying. She walked into her bedroom and picked up Trenton from the bed. Nathan came in after her and smiled at the sight of his son.

“Oh good he’s still awake, I got him something.” He pulled a small box out of his jeans pocket and said “This was my dad’s, when I was a little boy he gave it to me and told me to give it to my own son one day.” He handed it to Evangeline who opened the box and found a silver chain inside. On the end was a small hockey pendant of two sticks crossed over each other. “It comes from a long line of hockey players.” said Nathan. Trenton lost interest in the dolphins and was curious about the necklace his mother was holding. He tried to stand up and grab it from her. She let him have it. He held it for a bit and looked at it and then to Evangeline’s shock, put it over his head and around his neck.

“See he’s a smart kid, he knows what it is.”

“It’s his bedtime,” said Evangeline.

“Aww don’t make him go to bed just yet, we should all watch a movie together,”

“What movie do you have in mind?”

“Rugrats the Movie,” he said smiling. “That’s one of Dylan’s favorites.” She couldn’t help but laugh a little.

“Alright fine, we’ll watch it, but if he falls asleep on the couch with us I’m putting him in his crib.”

“Deal,” said Nathan. The two set up themselves up on the couch. Evangeline changed into pajamas. She held Trenton lightly in her arms as she lay on Nathan on the couch. They covered themselves in a few blankets to keep warm, and lined the couch with pillows. The movie was a little over an hour and despite the fact it was a kids cartoon she found herself actually watching it and laughing at some of the jokes. Trenton was fast asleep by the end, and she herself was only partially awake. She felt Nathan take Trenton from her arms and go into the bedroom and put him in his crib. A minute later he came back and picked her up in his arms, dragging some of the blankets along with her. He pulled back the covers and placed her gently onto the bed. He then shut off the lights and got in next to her. He kissed her lightly on the lips and lay down completely onto the bed. She was too tired to fight with him to tell him to go home so she snuggled up next to him in the dark and fell into a deep undisturbed sleep.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Sorry it's been awhile since I last posted. I've had drivers ed all week for six hours every day.
:( It's extremely boring, fortunately, it ends Friday.