Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Eighteen

September 25th, 2010
Saturday
Nashville International Airport, Nashville, TN
5:00 P.M.

Evangeline looked out the plane window excitedly as the plane touched down on the runway. She held on tightly to Trenton, who she had just gotten to stop crying. He’d been upset, like most children, when his ears popped on the descent of the plane. A sign outside said ‘WELCOME TO NASHVILLE, TENNESSE!’ Evangeline had been alone on her flight. She’d asked David if he wanted to come but he had hockey practice all week. Nathan didn’t want her to go. She decided she’d be staying for three days. When she got out into the airport she looked excitedly around for her father. How could she not miss him? He was 6’6”, wore a cowboy hat, and was waving a sign that said Evangeline in the air. Her brother Troy, who looked like a younger shorter version of her father stood next to him. He saw her coming towards him amongst the crowd and yelled her name.

“Dad!” she said excitedly. Her father opened up his arms and they embraced. An already grumpy Trenton shrieked unhappily. Evangeline shushed him and handed him his stuffed giraffe from her purse. Troy happily hugged her and said

“Welcome back sis,” the three walked out of the airport and to her father’s big pickup.

“So how have things been up north?” asked her father.

“Real good,” she said. She looked at the countryside passing them by and began to recognize the land she’d spent her teen years in.

“You’re gonna love the new barn, we nearly plowed down the entire old one and rebuilt it.”

“I can’t wait to see if Trenton likes the horses.” The last time she had visited she’d only briefly brought Trenton through the barn as he was too young to ride but this time she’d sit him on a horse and see how he liked it. She looked out the window again and saw her old home approaching in the distance. She felt a rush of excitement as she observed the wide open field lined with white fences, and the large barn where the horses were kept. It was an escape from life back in Boston. All the guilt and stress she felt from two timing with Nathan and David melted away as she rolled down the window a little and caught the scent of fresh hay and the Tennessee air. The fields disappeared from view as they turned down a densely wooded road and then they turned into the long driveway that led to the house. The large white colonial house came into view and her father pulled the car around to the front door.

“Not much has changed about the house,” her father said. “I haven’t touched your room.”

“Turn it into something useful,” she said.

“I couldn’t do that,” he said. “It’s a reminder of how great the years were when you were here.” Evangeline stepped out with Trenton in her arms. He was no longer upset but looking around curiously at his unfamiliar surroundings. She tried to pull the one suitcase she’d brought out of the car bur Troy took it and said

“I’ll take care of it.”

“Thanks Troy,” she said. She followed her father inside into the entrance.

“We made dinner,” said her father. “But you can go up and get comfortable in your room for a bit.”

“No that’s ok dad, I’m starving!” Troy carried her bag up to her room as she walked into the dining room. The long dining table was to long for them to eat at alone and it was usually used for special events her father held so they were eating at the kitchen table. She setup a high chair for Trenton and sat down with her father. They waited for Troy to come back before digging in. He father had cooked an all Cajun dinner, something Evangeline hadn’t had in a long while and something she missed eating every night.

“So who’s this boy you were talking about?” asked her father.

“He’s really nice his name is David. He plays on Boston’s hockey team.”

“You should have brought him down,” said her Troy.

“I couldn’t he had practice tonight, and the day after tomorrow.”

Evangeline was stuffed by the end of dinner. The food had been so good. Trenton began to fuss, being stuck in his high chair for so long. She stood up and took him in her arms.

“So what’s the plan for the rest of the night?” she asked.

“Whatever you want sweetheart,” said her father.

“How about a movie after I put Trenton down.” They agreed and Evangeline brought Trenton upstairs. There was a crib in her room from the last time she’d been there. Her dad had been truthful about not touching her room. Everything looked exactly in place from when she’d last been there. She changed Trenton and set him in his crib. He didn’t protest tired from the flight, he curled up and shut his eyes. She kissed him on the cheek, said goodnight, and went back downstairs.

The movie went on for an hour and a half and Evangeline surprisingly wasn’t tired. She lasted through the entire movie and still felt wide awake afterwards. Her father and brother however were yawning widely by the end and slowly made their way up the stairs saying goodnight. Evangeline stayed behind and shut down the DVD player and all of the lights in the house before going upstairs. She didn’t turn on the lights in her room as she went into the bathroom to brush her teeth. As she found the toothpaste in the cabinet she thought she heard someone in her room. Assuming it was her father coming in to say goodnight again so she finished brushing her teeth. When she left the bathroom and shut off the light it took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the sudden darkness. When they did she jumped in surprise and almost screamed. Sitting on her bed was Nathan.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.