Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Nineteen

September 26th, 2010
Sunday
Evangeline’s old home, Nashville, TN
1:00 A.M.

“My God Nathan you scared me!” she said slumping to the floor, holding her chest. She could feel her heart beating fast throughout her entire body. Nathan laughed and stood up off the bed.

“You expected me to last three days without seeing you?”

“You are impossible,” she said. “How do you keep sneaking away from Tammy so much without her noticing?”

“She likes to go to bed early.”

“So you flew down here tonight?!”

“Ya, it was only a two hour flight; I left at 10:30 and got here a half hour ago.”

“You are playing with fire,” she said. “When are you going back?”

“Tonight at 4:00,” He picked her up off the floor and carried her back to the bed. “We have most of the night together.” He lay her down and sat down next to her. “What would you like to do?”

“Is it a clear night?”

“Ya, it’s warm and I could see the stars when I came in.”

“Let’s go for a ride then,” she said. “On the horses like we did two years ago.” He picked her up off the bed and the two crept downstairs. She was sure both her brother and father were asleep already but to be sure neither of them talked nor made a sound. She went out the back door and felt the same free feeling she had two years ago in the summer of 2008 when her and Nathan had first both snuck out. They dashed across the back lawn and to the barn. The only person they had to be concerned about then was the head stable manager who lived in an apartment on the top floor of the barn. She shushed him and told him to stay behind as she slowly pushed open the stable door and went inside the dark barn. She could hear the soft nickering of horses and the smell of hay filled her nose as she walked further inside. She could also smell the new wood the barn was built out of. The barn had been built in the same style the old one had been in. There was also a fair amount of new horses she had never ridden, so she chose two horses that she knew and tacked them up. She quietly led them out and slid the door shut after her.

Nathan had been right the night was warm and a light breeze rolled over the fields. The sky was completely clear of clouds and she could see billions of stars up above her. The silver full moon shone down over the land, lighting it up.

“It is a beautiful night,” she said observing the sky. The two led the horses further down towards the woods before mounting. They rode alongside each other as they entered the woods. Everything seemed so unreal as moonlight filtered through the tree tops. They didn’t speak as Evangeline moved her horse into a steady trot and Nathan followed. They were riding down the same path they had two years ago. Up ahead she saw the silvery glint of water. It was the small lake they’d first made love by. She slowed the horse and dismounted. Nathan did the same and they tied the horses by their reins to a thick tree branch.

“It’s just as beautiful as it was before,” said Nathan amazed. She could see the moon in the clear water of the lake and the light of fireflies floated around them. They walked to the soft patch of grass they’d laid in before and sat down. “This is probably my most favorite place in the world.” said Nathan.

“Mine too,” she said snuggling herself up against him.

“I wish things were different,” said Nathan in a hurt voice.

“How so?”

“I wish I’d known you before I was married, I wish you were my wife and not with Krejci and that we had our own home together.” He said.

“What about Tammy and Dylan?” she asked.

“I love them,” he said. “I just feel like sometimes I’m living in such a superficial world with her. All the importance she places on her designer clothes, and her social status that she married a hockey player. I feel like I’ve shared her to much with other men. All those pictures on the internet of her naked make me feel pretty uncomfortable. It would be hot if they were just for my eyes but anyone can just google her name and find pictures of her like that. I’m pretty sure every guy on my team has seen those pictures and I hate it. I also think into the future when Dylan’s older and he finds them. What do we say to him? How do I justify that sort of thing? Being with you has given me a whole different perspective on how life could be.” Evangeline was unsure what to say to him as he hung his head so instead she pressed her lips to his. He forgot his pain and kissed her back. He’d lose himself with her and forget the reality of things. Sitting by that little lake for one night they could pretend that nothing else in the world mattered, that they had completely left their lives behind, and it was just the two of them. Nathan pulled Evangeline on top of him and looked up into her gorgeous face. She didn’t have the fake dyed platinum blonde hair, or the layer of make-up covering her beautiful natural features. Everything about her was so real. This was the woman he wanted to spend his life with but the expectations, the rules of society, and the people around them denied him that.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.