Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Twenty-One

September 26th, 2010
Sunday
Evangeline’s old house, Nashville, TN
12:30 P.M.

Evangeline woke up the next morning in her bed. She sat up and looked around her room to see Trenton wasn’t in his crib. She remembered going out with Nathan last night. Had it been a dream? It had seemed so unreal and perfect; it had been a fantasy world. Her hair felt stiff with lake water and her sheets were damp as she had gone to sleep still wet from swimming. She assumed her father had Trenton so she got up and went into the shower. Last night seemed to be a cloudy memory, she was truly unsure if it had happened or not. When she got out she turned on her phone to find a message from Nathan that said ‘Got into Boston, Tammy didn’t know I’d even left the bed during the night.  See you Monday.’ The mention of Tammy made her feel guilty again. It was all just one fucked up cycle. She got dressed and went downstairs. Troy sat at on the couch with Trenton who was playing with his toy blocks.

“Good morning,” said her brother. “Dad left you some breakfast in the microwave.” She looked at the clock on the TV and saw that it was already 1:00 P.M.

“Oh my god, it’s so late,” she said.

“I thought I’d let you sleep in,” said Troy. “Dad’s outside training some of the horses.” Evangeline went into the kitchen and looked out the window. She could see a few horses running the race track out back but she couldn’t spot her father among all of stable workers and went over to the microwave. She found a plate of bacon and eggs and sat down at the table to eat. There was a long floor to ceiling window in their kitchen giving her a good full view of all the fields and woods. She saw the entrance to the trail her and Nathan had gone in last night. She wanted to take a hike down and see the lake for herself in the day time. She finished eating and went back into the living room. Troy was on the floor playing with the blocks with Trenton.

“I think I’m gonna go for a little hike,” she said.

“I’ll watch Trenton if you want,”

“Thanks,” she said. She went upstairs and put on sneakers and some bug spray and headed out. She had to pass by the racetrack to get to the woods and saw her father directing two jockeys about racing. He saw her walking towards the woods and waved. She waved back and continued onward.

The forest was alive with the sound of many different animals during the day. Of course it wasn’t nearly as amazing as last night but it had a peaceful atmosphere. It took her fifteen minutes on foot to reach the lake and when she did she went over to the water and ran some of it down her face to cool her off. She saw the soft patch of grass her and Nathan had been lying on. She went over and sat down and looked around. A group of ducks floated slowly by on the water, she watched a squirrel hunt for nuts in the long grass and then run up a tree. She was enjoying the wildlife when she spotted something shining in the grass nearby. Curious she got up and went over to look. She gasped when she saw what it was. Nathan’s wedding ring. She picked it up and looked at it. It was a solid gold ring with the name’s Tammy and Nathan and the date of their wedding inscribed on the inside. She could have easily tossed it in the lake or left it there out of spite but instead pocketed it and decided to call Nathan about it. It took awhile for him to answer his phone and when he did he sounded extremely tired.

“Hello?” he said in a miserable voice.

“Hey Nathan I have your wedding ring with me.”

“What?!” he said in a more alert tone.

“Ya, I took a hike down to the lake and found it in the grass. You must have left it here.”

“Oh shit,” he said sounding miserable again. “You can give it to me Monday I just need a way for Tammy to not notice.”

“Go buy a cheap real looking ring or something,” she said.

“I just might,” he said. “Anyway, we’re doing the same thing Monday night. That lake was so beautiful at night.”

“Sounds good,” she said. “I can’t wait,” She heard in the background on Nathan’s end a door shut.

“I gotta go,” he said. “Tammy just got home with Dylan.”

Evangeline continued to sit by the lake and listen to the sounds of the wildlife around her. She took out the ring from her jeans pocket and examined it. The outside had little scratches and marks on it from the three years it’d been on Nathan’s finger but the letters of his and Tammy’s name were still in unmarked perfect cursive. It was the one item that symbolized their marriage besides a document that had both of their signatures on it. She was surprised how unemotional she was as she looked at it. It’s just a piece of gold she thought to herself. It could of easily been molded into someone elses wedding ring, it just so happened to end up on Nathan’s finger. She put it back in her pocket and got up to go back to the house. The ring seemed to burn in her pocket as she walked. As soon as she got back to the house she went upstairs to her room and put it down on her nightstand.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I'm on vacation for the weekend so I won't be able to update until Monday.