Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Twenty-Three

October 31st, 2010
Sunday
The Horton’s house, Brookline, MA
11:00 P.M.

Evangeline came home from Nashville to meet David waiting for her at her apartment. He’d planned out a nice dinner for them. But despite all of the excitement and happiness she felt in seeing him, the nights with Nathan by the lake didn’t leave her mind. Life seemed to go back to normal, she went to work, came home and spent time with David and Trenton, and then Nathan would come over later at night. All that changed when a week before the end of October she got an invitation to the Horton’s Halloween party.

David had been invited and it was an adult party so she hired Ashley to watch Trenton for the night and told Tammy she’d be able to go. Of course wearing a costume was a requirement. She and David decided to wear matching costumes. She went as a cowgirl and he went as a cowboy. She and David drove Trenton to a neighborhood in Middleton and took him trick or treating as a pumpkin before they went.

“Hey guys!” said Tammy excitedly. She had on an Indian costume.

“Hey,” said Evangeline walking in.

“I love your costume!” said Tammy.

“I love yours too,” she said. Tammy had painted two lines of blue on her cheeks. She saw Nathan walking towards them and she burst out laughing. He was in an Indian costume as well. He only wore pants and no shirt. He’d over done it with the paint and colored his whole chest in red. “You look great,” she said laughing. Nathan smiled and said

“I wanted to paint my entire body red but Tammy wouldn’t let me,” She felt him giving her the up and done and he said to her quietly in a suggestive voice “You are extremely sexy,” she looked up at him and he winked. She had tried to keep her outfit as appropriate as possible but it seemed there were no cowgirl outfits left that were innocent looking.

“I’m glad you guys set this up,” said David. “Nobody threw a Halloween party last year on the team.”

“It was our pleasure,” said Tammy. “Halloween is my favorite holiday. I like to go all out. Now if you don’t mind,” she said taking Evangeline’s hand “I’m going to steal your girlfriend for a bit.” She pulled Evangeline away into the crowd and she looked back at him apologetically. He smiled at her and turned to talk to Tim Thomas. Tammy led Evangeline into the family room where the girls sat around talking. She sat down next to Sheena and listened in on the conversation they were having. They were talking about all of the previous teams their husbands or boyfriends had played on. Tammy joined in and said

“I love Florida; I sometimes wish Nathan still played for the Panthers. It was never cold I loved the heat.”

“Just wait till January when there’s a blizzard outside.” said Melissa Thomas.

“Johnny played for Colorado briefly before coming here.” said Sheena. “The weather was even worse. During the winter it took me a half hour to clean my car off to go somewhere and another hour to shovel out the driveway.” Evangeline sat and listened not having a story of her own to add. She politely excused herself from the group and got up to go find the food table. In the kitchen, there was a long table set up with bowls of candy, plates of cakes and brownies; it looked so delicious that Evangeline didn’t know where to go first. She decided on the fudge brownies and when she had finished eating she turned around to see Nathan standing there.

“Hi,” she said in surprise.

“You look absolutely amazing tonight,” he said.

“You do to,” she said. She tried to walk past him to go back to the family room but he blocked her way and said

“Can we go somewhere alone?”

“Sure,” she said. He led her quietly up the stairs and down the hall to the empty guest room where she had slept before. He sat her down on the bed and said

“I’ve been thinking about what to do about this whole situation and I think we should do what we want.”

“What?” she asked not understanding what he meant.

“I mean let’s forget about what people expect and how things are supposed to be. We obviously can’t run away because there are true responsibilities we both have. I have Dylan who needs me, and you have your father and brother who need you. We can’t just disappear together so I’m going to tell Tammy what’s been going on and things should fall into place. Life will be a bit hard afterwards but it’s worth our love.”

“You’re saying that you want to divorce her?” said Evangeline.

“I am,” he said. “I can’t go another day pretending that I have a perfect life. Society tells people they should do something or be a certain type of person and when you look past all of it there are truly no boundaries.” She stood up off the bed and said

“Please don’t tell her, don’t do that.”

“Why not?”

“Because think of Dylan’s future, he’ll be torn between two homes.”

“I know tons of people who had divorced parents and have no problems,” Evangeline walked towards the door and said

“I’m begging you to not tell her,”

“What if I do?” he said.

“I’d feel horrible, I’d still feel like we couldn’t be together,” She said guiltily.

“Then what do you want me to do? We’ve been over this a million times already; one of us has to give in. Either you let me tell Tammy what’s going on, or we end this relationship.”

“You’re not telling Tammy.” She said and then she walked from the room.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Tammy's Costume
Evangeline's Costume