Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Twenty-Four

December 25th, 2010
Saturday
Evangeline’s Apartment, Boston, MA
8:00 A.M.

It was another eight weeks before Evangeline had any contact with Nathan whatsoever. On Christmas day she woke up to find Trenton jumping up and down excitedly in his crib. She had set up a small tree in their living room where she had put his presents. She smiled at him and picked him up out of his crib. She carried him into the living room and he yelled in excitement.

“Tree!!” It was the newest word he’d learned after hearing his mother say it.

“Yes it is a tree,” she said happily. “With all your presents from Santa under it.” She set him down on the couch and pulled out the first gift from under the tree. She handed it to Trenton who worked hard on pulling off the reindeer wrapping paper. She helped him out and inside was a little hockey gear set. It had small sticks and small cloth pucks that Trenton would be able to play with. “Hockey stuff,” she said to him excitedly. Trenton clapped his hands and giggled with happiness. She had decided to get him started in hockey no matter how much it reminded her of Nathan. She spotted the hockey necklace Nathan had given to Trenton back in September and considered taking it off of him but she decided to leave it alone and go get the next present for him. She wasn’t going to be too busy that day, she and David were going to meet up and exchange gifts in the afternoon.

As she was helping Trenton unwrap again she heard a knock on the door. She got up and pulled open the door. There was nobody outside when she looked out and up and down the hallway. A small brown package sat at her doorstep and she picked it up and brought it inside. Confused she ripped off the brown wrapping paper and inside found a Tiffany & Co. jewelry box. She pulled off the cover and gasped when she saw a gorgeous, gold and diamond heart shaped locket inside. A gold chain didn’t hold it together; instead it was made of pearls. She knew who it was from before she opened the locket. On the inside there were no pictures just the words Nathan & Evangeline engraved into the gold.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Evangeline's Locket