Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Three

September 4th, 2010
Saturday
Evangeline’s Apartment, Boston, MA
8:45 P.M.

She hated seeing him sitting there with Trenton. This wasn’t healthy for her to be around so she got up and said

“I’m going to take a shower you can do whatever you want just don’t upset him, you’ll never get him to settle down.” She went into the bathroom and made sure to lock the door before starting the water and getting in. When she was finished she wrapped a towel around herself and went opened the door to the bedroom. She felt a shock go through her when she saw Nathan standing by Trenton’s crib.

“Why are you in here?!” He turned to see her and said

“I was putting him back in his crib.” She saw him give her the up-down look and she narrowed her eyes at him and said

“I’m getting dressed now,”

“Ok,” he said “Want me to wait outside or stay in here?”

“You’re a wise ass,” she said. “Go wait outside the door.” Once he left Evangeline saw he had in fact put Trenton back to sleep. She got dressed into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. When she opened the door she said

“You’re still here?”

“Yup,” he said smiling.

“Tammy needs you, go home.”

“You know you don’t need make up at all, you look sexy enough in sweatpants and with a clean face.”

“That’s it, leave,” she said.

“What’d I do?” he said looking slightly amused.

“I’m not joking Nathan I didn’t go out with you tonight to start up an affair again. Get out.” He raised his hands up defensively and said

“Fine, whatever, I’ll leave.” He said finally getting that she was being serious. He turned and left, leaving Evangeline in an uncomfortable silence. She was leaning up against the wall and slowly slid down it until she was sitting. She then let out a sob, she kept her the sound down so she didn’t wake Trenton but the tears seemed to stream down her face like a river. She couldn’t take seeing him; somewhere deep in her heart she still loved him.

Evangeline woke up the next morning in her bed to the sound of Trenton. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and looked over to see him standing up in his crib and making noises. She heard him say “Mama” which had been his first word. She dreaded the day he learned the word “Dada” and then the question of “Where’s dada?” He’d wonder eventually when he saw all the other little kids in the daycare have their fathers pick them up. When all the other little kids proudly showed their fathers their drawings or artwork they’d made. Eventually she’d have to explain to him where “Dada” really was. She absolutely dreaded the day. She got up and picked him up out of his crib. Life was pretty repetitive for her. She’d get up feed Trenton, get him dressed, get herself dressed, bring him to daycare, pick up something from Dunkin Donuts for breakfast for herself, and then go to the hair salon or the restaurant. Today was Sunday which meant she’d be working in the hair salon all day until 2:00 which was the time they closed on Sundays, on every other day she’d be there until 5:30.

When she walked in that morning her friend Talia was already doing a woman’s hair. Talia was her only good friend. Talia loved Trenton and whenever Evangeline needed a little help with him Talia was happy to help her out. She didn’t know anything about Evangeline’s true past.

“Hey,”

“Hey,” said Talia. “How was your morning?”

“The usual,” she said setting her things down at her desk. “Got up, got dressed, and got Trenton off to daycare.”

“If you ever need me to pick him up again for you like last week just ask I know how busy you are.”

“Thanks Talia,”

“Anytime, I adore Trent. I swear one day he’s going to be such a lady killer. When I brought him grocery shopping with me last week he was flirting with a group of little girls.” Evangeline laughed and said

“Before you know it I’ll be going out and be buying him a tux for prom.” Evangeline began to work on a woman who had walked in for simple trim. She had never had any professional training with hair but the salon had needed help badly and after she had shown him she had skill at styling and cutting hair they hired her without question. The day wore on boringly. She and Talia were the only ones working and when 2:00 rolled around Evangeline said goodbye to her and went to get Trenton. She arrived a little before 2:00 and decided to sit for a bit in her car and relax. When she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket she figured it was Talia calling to tell her that she’d forgotten something. But when she looked to see who was calling she saw it was Nathan. She waited a few seconds before answering.

“Hello?”

“Hey Angie, we left off in a bad place yesterday can we talk about it?”

“Honestly Nathan,” she said

“Please,” he said. She hated that she kept agreeing to everything he said and giving in. She was torturing herself by allowing herself to see him again.

“Fine,”

“Thanks, I’ll come over to your apartment.” He said.

“No you’re not we’ll meet somewhere,”

“Where?” he asked.

“I don’t know you have anything in mind?” she asked.

“How about my favorite bar in Boston?” he said.

“A bar?”

“Ya we can go to Boston’s Greatest Bar.”

“Alright, I know where that is,” said Evangeline. “I’ve been there once or twice with friends.”

“Good, tonight at 8:00 then?”

“Sure,” she said. “Remember this is not a date Nathan.” He laughed and said

“I know, I know.”

“Good, now I have to go pick up Trenton, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Alright bye,” he said. Why did she keep doing this to herself? Shy did she keep running back to him? She got out of her car and went to get Trenton from the daycare.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.