Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Five

September 6th, 2010
Monday
Mike and Patty’s, Boston, MA
8:30 A.M.

She smiled at him and said

"I can't sit down and talk, I am at work you know."

"I know pretend you don't know me it will be fun." he said.

"Alright," she laughed. She straightened her face and said in a overly serious voice. "Good morning sir, would you like some coffee to start with?" Nathan smiled and said

"Why yes I would thank you."

"It will be right out," she said holding back a laugh. As she walked past him she felt him tap her ass. She turned around to see him smirking. She smiled at him and then continued on to the kitchen where she handed the cook her notepad. She hung around the kitchen area until the cook began to hand her plates to bring out. She slowly made her way to each table again to give everyone their breakfast. When she reached Nathan again she set down the coffee in front of him and said

"Sir are you ready to order?"

"I think I am," he said looking highly amused. "I would like some French toast." She took his menu and walked back to the kitchen. There weren't many other orders before Nathan's so it was ready within fifteen minutes. When she brought it out to him she noticed he'd finished the coffee and took the cup and plate it'd come on.

"Thank you," he said.

"No problem," she said smiling back at him. She went back to the kitchen and while she waited for him to finish, she checked on the other people she was serving. She went right over when she saw he was done. She took his plate and handed him his check.

"You were an awesome waitress, I'm going to tip you well." he said. She smiled at him and said

"Thanks Nate,"

"Shhhh don't say my name, remember you still don't know me." She rolled her eyes. "Now shoo I have to pay the check and leave you a tip."

"You'll call me later?" she asked.

"Of course," he said. She left and waited until he was gone to go get the check. When she got to the table she found the money that paid for the meal and then her tip. She was shocked to find three one hundred dollar bills placed on the table.

When Evangeline got out of work at 1:00 she called Nathan.

"Hey why did I find $300 on the table?"

"That was your tip," he said laughing.

"You're taking back $290 of it," she said laughing.

"No," he said. "You did a great job serving me." I was wondering if you wanted to go out again tonight?"

"No you stay at home, you're wife should be getting suspicious by now, you going out every night."

"No she's not," said Nathan. "Besides tonight I want you to come to my place, Tammy's having a girl night with some of my teammates girlfriends."

"And what do you want me to do with Trenton? I can't just dump him on my friend again after what happened last night."

"Bring him here, he can meet Dylan." Evangeline felt uncomfortable with the idea.

"I don't want them to get to know each other to well." she said. "Since me and him are a secret I don't think it'd be a smart idea to even have me over there, what if Dylan says something to your wife about me?"

"He won't," said Nathan. "Trust me."

"I don't know," she said. "He's only two Nathan, he doesn't know to not say anything."

"He's a smart kid," said Nathan.

"I think it's cruel," she said. "Introducing him to me. I saw him as an infant but that was different. I don't want him to meet the woman his father is cheating on his mother with."

"Fine," said Nathan. "Come over at 7:30 when he's asleep."

"And what about Trenton's bedtime?" she said.

"Put him in a carrier and we'll put him in Dylan's room so he can stay asleep." said Nathan.

"I don't know Nate," she said.

"Everything will go smoothly. You thought last night was a bad idea and look how great it turned out to be." She thought about it for a minute and said

"Fine, I'll come over, but I seriously don't want Dylan to see me so make sure he's fast asleep."

"I will," said Nathan.

When Evangeline pulled into the parking lot and went inside the daycare Trenton came running to her with a big smile on his face.

"Hey baby," she said happily as she picked her son up. "Ready to go home?" She checked him out and then brought him out to the car. To make up for leaving him at Talia's she brought him home and spent the entire afternoon playing with him in the living room. She put him to bed at 7:00 in his crib and at 7:20 she carefully transferred him to his cushioned carrier without waking him up. Trenton usually stayed asleep when being moved around. He awoke briefly when she had to put him into his car seat but easily fell back asleep when she began to drive. She had gotten the address from Nathan earlier and he lived in a house in Brookline. The house was set back in the woods and she drove down a long cemented driveway before the house came into sight. It wasn't a big historical house like hers back in Nashville, but it looked more modern and luxurious. She parked get car behind his large SUV and carefully carried Trenton inside. She rang the doorbell and waited s minute before Nathan answered. He opened the door in what he slept in, loose flannel pants, and a bare chest. She couldn't help but stare at his muscled arms as he moved aside for her to go in.

The house smelled like cinnamon, and it had a comforting feel to it. Nathan took the carrier from her and said

"I'll bring him upstairs for you,"

"I'll come with you," she said. She followed him up the stairs to the second floor. He turned down a long hallway which had a room at the end of it. When they walked in she saw that it was a guest room. There was an empty crib in the corner. Nathan carefully picked his son up out of the carrier and set him down in it. He kissed him goodnight and covered him in a blanket. She watched him, loving seeing them together.

They left the room quietly and shut the door after them. She followed him back downstairs without saying anything. When they walked into the wide open family room he said

"So what will it be? Should we watch Predators vs Aliens or Signs? Which alien movie?"

"Predators vs. Aliens, I've already seen Signs." He turned on the TV and started the DVD player as she went over to the couch and lay down under the soft blanket that was spread out over the pillows. When he got the disk into the DVD player he walked back over to the couch and got underneath the blanket with her. The movie started and Nathan shut off the lamp on the table next to them. Evangeline found herself falling asleep halfway through the movie. She curled herself up next to him and fell asleep.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

For anyone who seen the characters section I changed Evangeline's picture.