Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Seven

September 8th, 2010
Wednesday
Four Winds Bar & Grill, Boston, MA
5:30 P.M.

Evangeline held Trenton in her arms as she walked into the Four Winds Bar & Grill. The smell of food cooking reached her nose and her stomach growled. The place was full of people and it looked like every table was filled. She scanned the room and found Nathan sitting at a table in the back. She walked over and saw Dylan sitting in his high chair, and the blonde woman she had seen earlier. Nathan spotted her and said

"Angie you're here," she put on a smile and said

"Hi Nate," The woman smiled up at her and said

"Hi Evangeline, I'm Nathan's wife Tammy." She offered to shake hands and Evangeline shoke it. Tammy moved over for Evangeline to sit next to her. Evangeline got a high chair for Trenton and then sat down next to Tammy. "Your son is so adorable!" She said. "His name is Trenton right?"

"Yes," said Evangeline. "He's one and a half."

"Dylan turned two back in July," said Tammy. "They should have a playdate."

"Ya," said Evangeline, trying to sound thrilled. She observed the woman's face. She was pretty like she had been in the pictures she'd seen. She seemed like a nice person.

"They look like they could be brothers," said Tammy.

"They do sort of look alike don't they." said Evangeline trying to sound surprised.

"So I heard you and Nate knew each other in high school." she said.

"Oh ya," she said. She wanted to be careful with what she said in case Nathan had told her a different story. "I moved from Tennessee in eighth grade and met Nathan in my freshman year when he was a junior."

"I'm from Welland too." she said. "Me and Nate met there. He was eighteen and I was twenty-three when I met him at a cookout that my family had invited his family to we were engaged a year later. Are you married?"

"No, Trenton's father left me before he was born," she glared at Nathan. "I came here for college."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Tammy sympathetically.

"Oh it's fine," she said looking at Nathan again. "I'm getting along pretty well by myself." The waitresses came and took their orders and then Tammy went to the bathroom, leaving Evangeline and Nathan alone at the table. She smirked and said "So she's 30 and your still 25?" Nathan smirked back and said

"You can't talk, you're only 18 and I'm 25."

"She seems nice, I feel guilty."

"Don't," said Nathan.

"She's so friendly though," said Evangeline.

"Look," said Nathan "The boys like each other." Trenton and Dylan were sitting next to each other in high chairs. Trenton had brought the little stuffed giraffe he took everywhere. He had given it to Dylan to play with which was strange because he had always had a problem with sharing.

"This is going to end badly," said Evangeline.

"This is good," said Nathan "Now that Tammy knows you we can be around each other more." Evangeline saw Trenton Tammy walking back over and they fell silent.

"Oh look!" said Tammy adoringly "They're playing together!" Dylan and Trenton were giggling as they shared the stuffed giraffe between each other.

"That's so cute," said Evangeline.

"We should definitely get them together," said Tammy.

"That would be so fun," said Evangeline. Tammy sat back down and dinner soon came. Both women cut up their Childs food. Evangeline couldn't help becoming friends with Tammy as dinner went on. She seemed so friendly. At the end of dinner Tammy said to her

"Do you wanna come shopping with me and a few friends tomorrow afternoon?"

"Sure," said Evangeline.

"In fact you can meet one of my friends soon. She lives across the street with her boyfriend. He's also on the Bruins. We'll go see them." Nathan paid the bill and they left the restaurant. Evangeline held Trenton in her arms as they crossed the street. She followed Nathan and Tammy into an apartment building. They got into an elevator and it opened up into a hallway with a door at the end of it. Tammy knocked on the door at the end of it. An extremely tall man stood in the doorway as it opened. He was big and broad with dark hair and skin.

"Hey Milan," said Tammy.

"Hey," said Milan. He moved aside and let them in. Evangeline walked into the nicest apartment she'd ever been in. Milan shut the door after them and Tammy said

"Where's Brittany,"

"She'll be down in a minute, she's finishing unpacking." Nathan came over to her and said

"Milan this is an old friend of mine, Evangeline and her son Trenton. Evangeline this is my teammate Milan." Milan smiled at her and they shook hands.

"It's nice to meet you." said Evangeline.

"You too," said Milan "I'm sorry my apartment's such a mess, I just got into Boston."

"Oh it's fine," said Evangeline. "You have a really nice home."

"Thank you," said Milan. Evangeline heard someone coming down the spiral stairs on the other side of the room. A brunette girl was making her way down.

"I knew I heard your voice." said the girl. She walked over and Tammy said

"Brittany I want you to meet Evangeline And her son Trenton, she's one of Nathan's friends."

"Well then she's my friend too!" she said walking over. "My name's Brittany."

"I'm Evangeline," she said smiling.

"He's so cute!" said Brittany. "How old is he?"

"One and a half," said Evangeline.

"May I hold him?" asked Brittany. Evangeline handed her Trenton and she continued to gush about how adorable he was before handing him back.

"We're gonna go shopping tomorrow ate you coming?" Asked Tammy.

"Definitely," said Brittany. "What time?"

"4:00," said Tammy.

"Could it be around 5:30?"Asked Evangeline. "I work until 5:00." Both the girls looked at her with confused looks.

"You work?" said Brittany.

"Ya," said Evangeline

"Don't you have a boyfriend or husband that makes all the money?" said Brittany.

"No," said Evangeline, almost laughing. "I make my own money."

"Oh," said Brittany.

"We can move it to 5:30 then," said Tammy.

"Thanks," said Evangeline.

"Well we should head home, it's almost Dylan's bedtime." said Nathan. They all said goodbye to each other and went back out to the parking lot. As Tammy was putting Dylan into his car seat Nathan came over to get and said

"I'll talk to you later babe." He kissed her quickly on the cheek. Tammy turned back around and said with a smile.

"You too and I can't wait for tomorrow," said Evangeline. She said goodbye to Nathan again and then walked to get own car.

As suspected, later that night she got a call from Nathan. She had just put Trenton down and was reading a book on her living room couch. The phone rang and she quickly answered it so it didn't wake up Trenton.

"Hey you and Tammy got along," said Nathan.

"Ya," said Evangeline. "Until she finds out you're cheating with me."

"She won't," said Nathan. "We'll be careful."

"I feel guilty now that I've met her and she was so nice."

"Don't worry about it," said Nathan.

"How come you want to keep both of us?" She asked. In a more serious tone he said

"Because I have to take care of my family, but I love you."

"Well your wife clearly wants to be friends with me."

"That's good," said Nathan. "Gain her trust."

"I'm not going to become a manipulative backstabber." said Evangeline. She had no intention of taking Nathan away for good. She heard Tammy call Nathan's name in the background.

"I gotta go," said Nathan. "Goodnight my love," She smiled and said

"Goodnight Nathan," She curled back up on the couch to read.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.