Sequel: Happily Ever After
Status: Complete

Even Lovers Drown

Chapter 23

Sun rays bathed Blake's skin as she descended the steps of the bus. Warm, relaxing, exactly what she needed. Saylor's repeated rejection hadn't been forgotten, couldn't be erased by simple sun rays, but Blake was ready to handle the situation. Hopefully without scaring or offending Saylor. Even her apologies managed to strike unwanted reactions in the redhead. But she would get it right this time, at the very least plant a seed of reconciliation in Saylor's mind, because she would go to Davy first. He would be able to provide the much-needed information about his sister.

She spotted her soon-to-be guru across the parking lot, leaning against the merchandise U-haul and talking to Andy. She strode across the asphalt, dodging workers carrying sections of stage decoration, giving friendly smiles those she recognized. A few hours till sound check and they were diligently working to get things setup. Unlike Davy and his crew of merch workers. Sarah and Jenny lounged in a nearby patch of grass with the opener's drummer, and Saylor was no where in sight. Davy was too busy making Andy laugh to care. Lazy, maybe a little, but better for her to get information out of Davy. She didn't need anyone to hear her desperately asking Davy to help her. Especially not Saylor.

Stopping next to Davy, Blake said, "I need to talk to you."

Perhaps she was interrupting Davy's alone time with Andy for her own personal gain. She should have been considerate and waited till Andy rushed off to finish making rounds. But she needed Davy's help now. She wanted to be prepared to approach Saylor before the performance, possibly before sound check. Waiting was not an option.

"And I need to make sure the lights and effects guys know what they're doing," Andy said, "I'll see you later, Davy. Be late for sound check, Blake, and I may have to kill you." With a wave, he left, Blake and Davy watching after him.

"Isn't he just a bundle of sunshine and rainbows?" Blake asked.

"Sexy bundle of sunshine and rainbows," Davy said, "Did I ever thank Reese for offering the manager job to a piece of eye candy? I really should."

Blake looked up at him, meeting his profile. His green eyes, similar to Saylor's, remained glued to Andy. The corners of his lips tugged upward in a small smile. His crush on Andy had escalated to something stronger, she was sure. Threat-throwing Andy was the object of Davy's undying affection.

"He's too uptight," she said.

"He's just stressed. I'd be like that too if I had to keep track of you and Sage at the same time. Oh, wait." He pegged Blake with amused eyes. "I did in high school."

"You lived."

"Yeah, you weren't an alcoholic lesbian hooker then. In fact, you were a virgin till the first show," Davy teased.

A joke with the potential to upset Blake, to remind her of the person she used to be, but she didn't mind it because it was the truth. She lost her virginity to some sleazy woman who claimed to be a fan in an employee's only back room of a bar. Her name hadn't been seared into Blake's memory, lost somewhere amongst the names of other women. It had been meaningless, it hadn't spawned a serious relationship, but it had been fun. She didn't regret being with a stranger for her first time.

"I'm sorry, I missed the part where you told me you finally asked Andy out," Blake retaliated.

Davy pouted. "I haven't."

Of course, he hadn't.

"Why not? I'm sure he knows you like him by now."

What was he waiting for? The heavens to part and a messenger on a winged horse to tell him it was time? Davy had been after Andy for years, since they first met, and he still didn't have the nerve to ask him on a date. If he was waiting for Andy to ask, they would never end up more than friends. Andy wasn't the type to pursue despite his take-charge personality

"I guess." Davy sighed. "What'd you need?"

"Where's your sister?"

"Is this about her?"

"Depends."

She didn't need Saylor popping out from behind the U-haul while she was asking Davy about her. Any chance she had left of getting Saylor would be lost, and Davy would end up taking some of Saylor's anger for helping Blake. She didn't want to cause a family feud, she just wanted Saylor.

"She's avoiding you by helping the lights and effects people bring equipment in. Now, what is it?"

Disappointment flooded Blake. Saylor went out of her way to avoid her, trying to shut Blake out of her life completely. Rejection on a far larger scale than simply ignoring her. And Blake didn't like it.

"I need to know how to get your sister to like me."

"Are you serious?"

"I don't know if you've noticed, but nothing I do works. You're the expert. Help me."

Davy stared at her, letting silence weigh heavy on the conversation. His green eyes searched Blake's blue ones. The neutral expression on his face gave no indication of how he felt about her plea for help.

Finally, he asked, "Why are you doing this?"

"I want her, Davy."

"You can have anyone else. Why my little sister?"

"I don't know." Blake gave a frustrated shrugged. She hadn't stopped to think about why Saylor caught her attention, just acted on her want for her. Saylor attracted her and that was that. "I can't stop thinking about her and it's getting in the way of my life."

Davy hummed in response, contemplative. Blake watched emotions flit across his face, not sure what to make of them. She was asking him to help her get Saylor, his little sister, to like her and inevitably sleep with her. He would either be for it with the hope of saving his friend's sanity or against it, hoping to keep his sister safe from alleged harm. Judging by the lack of anger and disgust in his emotion medley, he wasn't completely against it.

"Are you going to help me?" Blake asked.

A smile spread on his face. "Sure."

***

"Hurry up," Davy whined after Saylor, collapsing on the merch table for effect.

"I'm hurrying," Saylor called over her shoulder.

Hurrying to the U-haul to grab a forgotten box of merchandise. How they had forgotten it, she wasn't too sure, but they had and now she had to retrieve it while Davy finished setting up the display. Assuming he stopped fake-mourning her absence to put up the display.

"I'm lonely already," he yelled.

Shaking her head and laughing at his melodramatics, Saylor rushed through the venue. She didn't stop to reply to Davy's antics, knowing she would only fuel them by doing so and they would continue bantering till the show started. The needed accessories would be left in the U-haul, never to come out for the show.

She pushed through the door leading to the empty parking lot. The late afternoon sun swelled with heat, beating down on her body and preparing to set. She walked quickly across the asphalt till she reached the U-haul, not wanting to stay in the heat longer than necessary. With swift motions, she unlocked the storage space and yanked open the door, the clank it made obnoxiously loud in the deserted area. Towers of full boxes, ones of merchandise to be used on later tour dates, took up space, but the box of accessories didn't seem to be seated amongst them. It should have been in the front, easy to find. Maybe Davy had moved it farther back than she thought.

Saylor climbed into the U-haul, careful not to snag her jeans on any edges, and looked around the storage space. The corners of her lips tugged upward in a smile of triumph. The needed box was tucked into the corner, innocently waiting for someone to bring it in. She walked towards it, but stopped short, smile faltering.

On top of the box lay a note with "Saylor Jones" scrawled in feminine cursive across the white surface.

Someone wrote a note for her and left in the U-haul. Who had access to the space? Davy had the key with him at all times. He wouldn't leave her a note though. Sarah and Jenny, the only two Davy would give the keys to, wouldn't either. Unless they felt the need to tell her how stupid she was for not sleeping with Blake via note. So who left it?

Cautious, Saylor plucked the note from its resting place and unfolded it. She scanned the elegantly written words, fearful of the message they might contain.

Saylor,

I'm sorry. I don't know how many times I've said this to you, or how many times you've ignored it, but I truly am sorry for upsetting you. Perhaps, I've come on a bit strong with my comments. I shouldn't accuse you of hiding your want to sleep with me when I don't know you. It was rude of me. Again, I'm sorry.

If you're still reading this, I think you're beautiful and I would love to get to know you better. Give me a chance? I promise I won't mess up this time.

Sincerely,

Blake
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to BeggingForChanges and Annah-Mai for the story comments.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Dakota Ray