Sequel: Happily Ever After
Status: Complete

Even Lovers Drown

Chapter 3

"We're here," Andy announced, parking the van.

"Finally," Blake groaned.

Fifteen minutes of bumps and potholes had been enough for her. More than enough. And now, the headache was so distinguished she didn't want to move from her place laying over her friends' laps. The van no longer moving, their laps were comfortable, relaxing, enough to cause her to drift to sleep and combat the hangover properly.

"Get up, fat ass," Hayden whined, pushing Blake's shoulder.

"Yeah, Blake. I don't think my legs can take much more," Sage teased.

"Screw off," Blake grumbled.

"If I have to get up, you have to get up," Hunter said, sliding the back door open.

She didn't reply to Hunter's statement, listening to him shuffle out of the van with her eyes shut and her body deadweight against her friends' thighs. Hayden prodded at her shoulder with his index finger, and Sage shifted her legs under Blake. The front doors opened and closed loudly, sending sharp pains to her head. She stifled another groan. And she thought she could sleep in the van? Wishful thinking. Her friends would harass her till she got out, harp in her ear and open and close the doors until she was ready explode.

"Fine," she said. She struggled to push herself up, "I'll get up."

"As if you actually had a choice," Sage said.

Blake rolled her eyes, a gesture that Sage couldn't see behind the sunglasses, and carefully climbed out of the van. Legs unstable, she nearly fell to hard pavement of the parking lot but caught herself on the edge of the sliding door before her could. The sun aggravated her headache further, beating down on her with the force of an angry bull. She squeezed her eyes shut, willing the pain to disappear.

"How drunk did you get last night?" Sage asked, gracefully stepping out of the van and eyeing Blake.

"More like how persistent was what's-her-name last night," Hayden said, following Sage out of the van.

"Was she good?"

"You need to learn to keep you legs closed. Didn't your mother teach you anything?" Reese said.

"Leave me alone," Blake whined.

Must they tease her? Her intense headache and slight nausea were enough punishment for her poor judgment. She didn't need her band mates to add to her discomfort. It didn't bother her that they knew what she did the previous night. No, that could never bother her. Their consistent talking, on the other hand, did.

"No can do. It's time to meet the merch girls," Reese said.

He slipped an arm around Blake's waist, partially to keep her stable and partially to keep her from making a break for it and finding a nook on the bus to hide. Uncontained, she would more than likely slip away from them.

Blake leaned her full weight against Reese's strong frame, allowing him to begin leading her in the direction of the merch workers. Her feet dragged lazily against the pavement. Reese didn't seem to mind her added weight and sluggish behavior. He kept her steady, holding her up much like he would his son.

"I don't want to," Blake whined.

"And I don't want to deal with Hayden's big mouth," Hunter said, "Guess we don't always get what we want."

"I do not have a big mouth," Hayden said.

"You've had a big mouth since we were in the womb."

Blake tuned out the developing argument. Listening to them bicker would only waste brain power, and she had little of that to spare for the day. Slowly, she opened her eyes, wary of the sun that continued to beat against her head. From behind the safety of her sunglasses, her blue eyes trailed around the parking lot.

Loaded U-hauls waited for departure in a neat line. A cluster of vans, most to be driven by merch workers, created an all white cavalry. The stalker van, with its dents and miscoloring, fit in amongst the group. Barely.

A few workers brought their luggage to their tour bus due to Andy's walk-by command. The bus would be identical to the two lined up next to it, but the words "Say Goodbye" were stenciled across the side with a picture of the band members situated above.

Pride swelled in Blake's chest. She and her friend's decorated the side of that bus. They were Say Goodbye, the once high school garage band. Peers made fun of them, told them they would never make. Adults told them to set attainable goals, to go to college, to take their lives seriously.

And look at where they were now. Headlining a United States tour. They had followed their dreams and they had succeeded, triumphed over the doubts of those around them.

Smile playing on the corners of her lips, Blake looked away from the picture, her eyes landing on the group of merch workers. Andy was already mingling with them, talking animatedly with Davy, their longtime merch worker and friend. Two young girls, teenagers Blake assumed, wearing Say Goodbye shirts stared at Andy with wide eyes and giddy smiles. Their eyes occasionally strayed from Andy to glance at the band.

And then there was her. Red hair that reached just past her shoulders, green eyes that struck Blake from afar, the swell of breasts visible under her tee-shirt. She didn't look as excited as the two younger girls, her hand resting lazily on her cocked hip, her posture lax. Her attention stayed on Andy as if she didn't care who she was about to meet.

"Who is that?" Blake whispered to Sage.

Sage gave her a look. "Are you still drunk? That's Davy."

"Not him, the redhead."

Sage looked towards the group of merch workers and tilted her head to the side. Blake only watched Sage for a moment before looking at the woman again. Davy slung an arm around the redhead's shoulders, pulling her into a tight hug against his body. Her laugh floated to the group of band members, the pleasant melody causing Blake's heart to flutter. Whoever she was, she and Davy knew each other. So why hadn't Blake met her before?

"Hell if I know." Sage shrugged.

Keeping her eyes on the redhead, Blake scoffed. Of course Sage didn't care. An absolutely gorgeous woman was standing mere feet away, and Sage was unaffected. But Blake noticed and she wanted her. Gay or straight, the redhead would be in her bunk, begging for more.

Saylor's eyes wandered from Andy, who talked with Davy about the tour schedule, and landed on the group heading in their direction. She watched them, examining each person as they approached. A set of identical twins, the only physical differentiating factor that she could see was the stripes of color in their black hair, talked with each other. The one with electric blue streaks hopped excitedly, the one with red streaks making a face at him. A woman with bright red hair made comments to the white haired male. Against the man's body was a blonde, who walked as if it were the most tedious thing in the world.

"Is she hung over," Davy asked.

Saylor snapped her head to look up at him. His eyes were trained on the group, amusement playing behind the green depths. His lips tugged upward in a small smile.

"Would you expect anything less from her?" Andy asked.

Chuckling, Davy shook his head. Saylor's eyebrows drew together. Her brother didn't take notice of her confused stare, but continued to watch the group walk toward them. She poked his side, forcing his attention to her.

"Who are they?" she whispered.

"The headlining band," Davy whispered back.

"Oh."

Davy caught the worry in Saylor's tone. Giving her a reassuring look, he said, "It's going to be okay."

Saylor gave a weak nod in response and looked back at the approaching group. Two women. The band had two women and judging by their appearances, they were about her age. That wasn't in the job description. Saylor wasn't sure she could handle being in the same vicinity as them. Already, her skin crawled, breathing became difficult, she wanted run from the parking lot, and all she could think about was her.

Her mind chided her for the irrationality. All women were not the same. One bad experience didn't mean anything. Besides, she wasn't going to be around those women constantly. She would be around Sarah and Jenny, teenagers who didn't pose a threat to her sanity. This tour would be just fine.

The band stopped next to Andy. Sarah and Jenny squealed and tapped each other in excitement. They looked ready to jump up and down or tackle the band with hugs. And Saylor couldn't even muster up a smile.

"You guys are slow," Andy commented.

"Can't rush greatness," Blake replied out of habit, eyes glued to the redhead.

He snorted. "Greatness, my ass. Let's get introductions out of the way so we can leave." Motioning to each band member, he said, "This is Reese, Sage. Hunter, Hayden, and—"

Blake interrupted his brief introduction, holding a hand out to the redhead. "I'm Blake."
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed this a lot while "editing."
Not too sure how it came out, but whatever.
Thank you to unkemptRose for the comment.
And thank you to the new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Dakota Ray