Sequel: Happily Ever After
Status: Complete

Even Lovers Drown

Chapter 43

Blake smiled, so wide she feared her cheeks would cramp. Excitement forced each of her nerves into a jittery mess. That was a "yes" to a date with her. An actual date, not her offered walk through a small hallway. Saylor agreed to more than she had to, demanded more in fact. Where were Sage and Davy when she needed to jump around and scream like an excited high schooler?

She would contain herself, though. The excited energy would stay pent up until she could release it in squeals where Saylor couldn't see her. No need to embarrass herself and potentially ruin all chances of the date she had been promised.

"A walk to and from the vending machine then? Shit, you must really like me," Blake joked.

Saylor laughed, a melodic tingle that tickled Blake's ears. Happiness lit her green eyes. She looked so carefree. So beautiful. Blake's heart beat hard against her ribcage, a flurry of fluttering butterflies awoke in her stomach. She urged to scoop Saylor into her arms and cover her in kisses.

If she couldn't rein her excitement in, she might just act on the urge.

"You get to walk me all the way to the merch table," Saylor said.

"Sounds wild. Do we get to talk, too?"

"If you're lucky."

"I'll wish on a star and blow the petals off a dandelion."

She'd scavenge the barren parking lot for a dandelion and make wishes on the sun. Anything to ensure the perfection of their date, and perfection was dictated by Saylor's enjoyment. Because the point of the date was to gain Saylor's affection, to make Saylor like her so much she couldn't say "no" when Blake asked for a serious relationship. Blake would do whatever she could to make sure Saylor was comfortable, happy, and enjoying herself.

"Double the wishes. Maybe it'll work," Saylor said, "What did you have in mind for us?"

"It's a surprise. Just keep the time during the first band's performance open today."

"I work then."

Saylor was sure Blake knew her work schedule. After years touring, she would know every merch workers work schedule. She was stationed at the table during the performance, selling merch to fans. She didn't have time open during the opener's performance to go on a date unless it consisted of a trip to one of the nearby food stands. As entertaining as watching Blake get bombarded by fans might be, Saylor didn't think she would take the risk.

"I'll talk to Davy."

"That's the worst time to abandon him."

Many fans didn't stay to watch the opener's performance. They took the opportunity to shop, thinking they were doing themselves a favor by going early. They didn't take into consideration the crowd of likeminded people who would be there when they reached the table manned by two workers. Saylor couldn't leave Davy during their rush time even if she was a little excited about going on her first date in a year.

Over a year. Katie stopped taking her on dates by the time they moved in together.

"It's a small venue," Blake said, "You'll only have one table, so he'll have Sarah and Jenny. He'll be fine."

News to her. Saylor had yet to be briefed on their merch table situation for the day. She wouldn't be leaving Davy to fend for himself against the stampede of eager fans. But she would feel bad for sneaking away from work to go on a date, though Davy, Sarah, and Jenny would encourage her.

"I don't like missing work."

"How are you supposed to have fun with me if you keep thinking about work?"

"I have a very one track mind. Keeps me sane."

She felt truth in the statement. Keeping her mind on one thing, menial work tasks or following an ever-changing schedule, kept Katie from overwhelming her mind. Sure, Katie popped up from time to time, sometimes more frequently than necessary, but at home, all she could do was lay in bed and think of Katie. She'd occasionally forget to eat, forget to sleep, forget her appointments, forget to exist. Here, she was forced to do those things and try to forget Katie.

Blake placed her bowl on the counter and walked the short distance to Saylor. "Your mind needs to switch tracks," she said. She took Saylor's hand in hers and pressed their foreheads together, noses brushing. "To me."

Saylor didn't push Blake away, didn't put a sizable distance between them. She didn't even flinch at the close proximity. Alarms didn't ring in her head. Nothing told her to back away as fast as she could. She didn't want to move, content staring into Blake's gorgeous blue eyes, Blake's hold warm and comforting. Peppermint encompassed her, heightening her senses. Her stomach was a flurry of activity, her heartbeat became a rapid tempo, and Blake's eyes kept her enthralled.

They were such a pretty blue.

"Still thinking about work?" Blake mumbled, smooth alto fueling the spell.

"What?"

Blake's words repeated in Saylor's head, their meaning cloaked by her delicious voice. Work, work, work, what was work? Mind deep in Blake's enchantment, Saylor couldn't begin to comprehend her words. Blake was close, very close, Saylor liked it, and nothing beyond that mattered.

The sudden swish of the bus door knocked Saylor from her fascination and seemed to jolt Blake. Their heads snapped away from each other, attention focusing on the open door and band members ascending the steps. But their hands stayed linked and no distance was put between them, evidence something had passed between them. Sage stopped abruptly in the main area of the bus, the rest of the band trickling in around her. And Davy brought up the rear, casually stopping next to Sage, a smile stretching across his face as he assessed the situation.

Saylor did not want to hear the "I told you so" lecture her big brother would give her.

"Stop raping her," Sage said.

Blake glared. The moment she and Saylor were having was shattered, ruined by one of her alleged best friends. They couldn't just walk in and keep their mouths shut. They had to say something. Always had to say something. She had her date with Saylor, though. Nothing they could say would change that.

She hoped.

"You'd think she'd learn what the word 'no' means," Hunter said, "Saylor's said it enough times."

"Blake's just persistent," Hayden said.

"A very rapist-like quality."

Reese sighed in mock frustration, "Blake, we went over this. The golden rule."

He was supposed to be on her side. Jackass.

"I need new friends," Blake mumbled.

Ones that didn't try to embarrass her in front of a gorgeous woman she liked. She was afraid their embarrassment tactics would direct Saylor's fear to her again, spark whatever memories of whatever frightened her and connect her to the woman who hurt her.

Katie, that was her name. She had to ruin Saylor emotionally, destroyed any semblance of comfort she had with women. And Blake was left to put her back together so she could have her chance to have her. So much work for one woman.

She was convinced the work would be worth it. The jokes from her band mates, the repeated declines, changing in ways she never thought she would want to, all would be worth it when she had Saylor.

"You could hold best friend auditions," Sage suggested.

"Worked last time," Davy added. "Aren't we lucky we won?"

A joke they shared for years. It didn't hurt Blake's self-esteem, only reminded her how lucky she was to have them in her time of need. She would never have gotten out of that locker if Sage hadn't allowed Davy to join her on her search for Blake during lunch. Breaking into a stranger's locker to get her out solidified her friendship with Sage and initiated Davy into their small friendship circle.

And Davy's comment after pulling her from the cramped locker—a joking "Did I pass?"—gained their rescue endeavor the title of "Blake's friendship auditions"

"We were the only ones there," Sage pointed out.

"We would have won anyway," Davy said, "No one else would be able to handle a lesbian hooker like we do."

"Except other lesbian hookers."

"Wouldn't want to be one of those."

"I have a favor to ask of you later," Blake said, cutting into their conversation.

She had more important things to worry about than their potentially embarrassing conversation. Making sure Saylor had time off was one of those things. Making sure her first real date ran smoothly was the second, and Saylor's attendance was detrimental for it to do so.

"Blake, tying my sister to a bed goes against everything I stand for," Davy said.

"That wasn't what I was going to ask."

"Oh, well, text me." He looked at Saylor, who had remained unresponsive throughout the conversations. "You ready?"

"My bag..." Saylor trailed off, gesturing over her shoulder in a futile attempt to communicate without her words.

"I brought it to the van. You can get changed, we'll bring in merch, then we can eat lunch while we setup. Sound good?"

Saylor nodded and looked at Blake, smile lightening her green eyes. "I guess I'll see you later."

"Yeah, later," Blake said.

Saylor didn't move. She stayed glued in her spot, staring up at Blake with her striking green eyes. A hint of reluctance colored her actions. She didn't want to leave, did she? Almost as much as Blake didn't want her to leave yet. The short time they spent together had been enough for Blake to want more, to be able to sit and talk, no interruptions by unwanted band members. And Saylor wanted that, too.

"You have to let go," Saylor said.

Heat rushed to Blake's face, embarrassment flooding her body. "Oh, right, yeah, sorry," she stuttered and dropped Saylor's hand.

Saylor's laugh, that gorgeous chime, forced all embarrassment to disappear, insured that she was not upset. "Bye."

"Bye," Blake mumbled.

With a parting wave, Saylor walked across the main area and ducked past band members, their smiling faces following her as she followed her brother from the bus. The door slid shut behind the siblings and the amused gazes landed on Blake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to AnimeLove, PillPopper, choliecole, Reba, and appley92.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
This chapter is a problem.
I really dislike it.
I don't remember if the next chapter is any better...
Whatever.
But thank you all for the kind sentiments regarding my deceased flashdrive.
I bought a new one.
I might fix the old one if I get anxious enough.
Give it time.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Dakota Ray