Sequel: Happily Ever After
Status: Complete

Even Lovers Drown

Chapter 53

Voices mixed in the large hotel lobby, mindless chatter Blake didn't care to listen to. She skimmed the dispersing crowd of tour workers. Somewhere mingled amongst them was the vibrant redhead she adored. Beside her, Sage aided in her search, green eyes lazily trailing over heads. All they needed was a glimpse of red hair. Just one glimpse. Then, they could dart through the crowd, grab her, and run to their assigned hotel room. Finding her was harder than Blake initially imagined it would be. She had red hair, the only person on tour aside from Sage who claimed the color. Her hair color should have stood out from the rest of the ones dotting the lobby, but it didn't.

"Do we really have to wait for her?" Sage asked. "She's a big girl. She can find the room on her own."

Blake was sure Saylor was competent enough to find a hotel room, assuming she knew the room number. Maneuvering the hotel floor plan wasn't the epitome of maneuvering an Egyptian pyramid. Saylor could find the room on her own. Getting into the room was the problem.

"We have both keys," Blake said.

Andy, being their diligent manager, gave the two room keys to Sage and Blake. A force of habit, she supposed. Being the only two women in the band, she and Sage often shared hotel rooms. This was the first time they would have an added guest, and Andy must have forgotten.

Saylor's lack of key shouldn't have been problem. There were easier solutions than holding a stake out in the lobby, like leaving the door propped open or answering a simple knock on the door. But those solutions couldn't be acted out. Once in the room, neither Sage nor Blake would open the door unless they were sure of who was on the other end, validating the person's identity by text or phone call. They had enough encounters with psycho-fans to know better.

Too bad their phones were dead.

"And I can't leave you here because...?"

"Because I don't want to stand here alone."

"Being alone isn't that bad."

"Everyone's going to think I'm a rejected idiot."

Maybe that was a bit of an extreme conclusion to make, but Blake felt justified in making it. Or her continual fear of rejection justified her leap. Consciously, she knew she had nothing to worry about. Her subconscious, on the other hand, tore her apart in any situation bearing resemblance to those in high school, and waiting for someone she adored to show up in a crowded room was one of them. She knew Saylor wasn't rejecting her if she didn't appear in the lobby, that she was on her way to their hotel room. She couldn't help her irrational dread.

"I'm not seeing the problem," Sage said.

"You wouldn't," Blake said.

Her eyes remained glued to the crowded lobby, bobbing over each head of hair she could see, but, still, the redhead remained unfound. Those years playing "Where's Waldo" hadn't prepared her for moments like this, where she actually wanted to find the person she was searching for.

Arms slid around Blake's waist, startling her from her search. A body pressed against her back. Firm breasts. Gentle hips. Familiar heat ignited in her stomach, response to the familiar body against her.

"Looking for someone?" Saylor mumbled, her breath tickling Blake's ear.

With a content hum, Blake turned her head, and their lips met, Saylor's face so close, there was no opportunity for pause. The noise in the crowded lobby melted away. Sage's existence somewhere near their sweet embrace wasn't a matter of concern. The possibility of band members strolling by and spouting inappropriate comments, or merch girls squealing about seeing their favorite lead singer attached to their coworker, or Saylor's older brother catching them in lip lock were unimportant. Nothing mattered beyond Saylor and the intense heat searing Blake's stomach.

She wanted more, wanted Saylor naked against her. Underneath her. On top of her. Bent over. Spread, waiting for her caress. Every bit of her, everything she could take, she wanted.

Over her distracted thoughts, she barely caught Sage's parting declaration, a quick "Alright, I'm leaving. Meet you in the room. I call first shower." But that mumble of a statement was enough to bring Blake back to reality, back to the hotel room lobby. This was not the place, nor the time, to let her mind be consumed by fantasies.

Their kiss ended, leaving Blake staring into sparkling green eyes. The inappropriate images plaguing her remained, lose of lip-contact not enough to destroy them, but she stifled her urges to act each one out.

"I've been waiting for you," Blake mumbled, rubbing her hands up and down Saylor's forearms.

"Sorry. We had to get the U-Haul situated," Saylor said. The corners of her lips quirked upward. "Did you miss me?"

Nodding, Blake hummed her response, an affirmative, content noise at being near Saylor again. They had seen each other the night before, had texted since the early hours of the morning, and she still managed to miss her presence. Saylor was her addiction. She wanted to be near her, wanted to revel in what a real relationship felt like. Because this, though it wasn't an agreed monogamous anything yet, was new for her.

She slid from Saylor's arms and grasped her hand, lacing their fingers. "Come on. I want to go to our room."

***

"Looks like Sage got settled," Blake commented as she walked into the hotel room.

Saylor followed after her, feet dragging in lazy strides, and took vague note of Sage's bag next to one of the two large beds and the sound of the shower running. Days of touring were starting to wear on her. Sleeping in a cramped van, working a merchandise table, and attempting to fit in a relatively healthy meal were the main portions of an exhausting schedule. But today was her much needed break from that. She could relax in a real bed for hours, no responsibilities to force her from her spot.

And she and Blake would get the chance to go on another date. A longer date. After Blake spent time with her band mates, exploring music stores and getting stopped by fans, she was all Saylor's, and they would go wherever Blake planned.

"Sage has the right idea," Saylor said, tossing her overnight bag next to the unclaimed bed and collapsing on the soft mattress.

Immediate relief blanketed her. Laying immobile on the cushioned surface, her feet, legs, tailbone, and back seemed to thank her for the change in position. She held in a content groan. This was far better, so much more comfortable, than her usual arrangements. Trying to curl her limbs into the backseat or sleeping upright in the passenger seat after long nights was hardly pleasing.

The mattress sunk beside her. She didn't move, didn't glance to the side. She knew Blake had taken the spot. An arm slid around her waist and pulled her. Surprised noise slipping past her lips, she rolled into Blake's body, face cushioned against firm breasts, arm instinctively lying across her tight stomach. Heat encompassed her body, and her core tightened.

She liked this position more

"So," Blake started, her thumb rubbing circles in Saylor's lower back. "What are you and Davy planning? Girls' day?"

Saylor struggled to ignore desire throbbing between her thighs, the light touch intensifying the already strong warmth, and focus on replying to Blake's joking statement. Girls' day with her gay brother, who subsequently played the role of gay best friend.

"As a matter of fact, yes," Saylor said, peeking up at Blake, "We're going to raid the store downstairs for junk food and hangout in here."

The corners of Blake's lips tugged upward in a teasing smile. "And do each other's nails?" she supplied.

"While watching movies and gossiping about you and Andy."

There would be no nail painting. She hoped. But the rest would happen. They would grab ice-cream tubs, an assortment of candies, chips, among other things from the tiny store on the hotel's first floor. Haul clasped in eager hands, they'd run upstairs—back to the comfy hotel room—flip through channels till they found something suitable to watch, and talk. About everything.

Not that they hadn't had enough time to talk during work and in the van. The new surroundings simply encouraged the activity.

Blake laughed, the melody caressing Saylor's ears, but she said nothing in response. Silence wafted over them. The steady thumping of Blake's heart beat in Saylor's ear. Her cushion, Blake's breasts, rose and fell, a comforting rhythm. The thumb on her lower back continued to rub small circles. Saylor could fall asleep there, wrapped in Blake's gentle embrace.

"You're okay with me hanging out with the band for awhile, right?" Blake asked, disrupting their calming silence. Saylor peeked up at her again, eyebrows drawn in curiosity. "It's not a problem or anything?"

"Why would it be a problem?"

Blake shrugged. "I don't know."

Staring into nervous blue eyes, Saylor rolled the sentence around, searching for the meaning behind each delicately-spoken word. Blake thought she would have a problem letting her go off with her friends. As if she were a pet of some sort Saylor needed to keep on a leash. As if that was normal.

As if every relationship was like the one she and Katie shared.

Saylor sat up, removing herself from the warm body she craved to be near, and Blake followed, keeping one arm draped around her waist. "I'm not going to stop you from doing what you want," she said.

She would never do that.

"I just don't want you to be upset."

But Blake didn't know any better. She was being cautious, trying to find out the boundaries of their relationship. Of a relationship.

"You don't have to give up everything you love for a relationship, you know." Saylor brushed her fingertips over Blake's cheek. "I'd never expect you to give up your friends or family or your career. I'm not going to control you. The only thing I'd ever ask you to give up is having sex with random women."

"Why would I do that if I have you?"

Sincerity pooled in Blake's eyes, her lips didn't quirk in a teasing smile, she didn't add on a statement demanding she change something. Saylor's heart fluttered. She was enough for Blake, enough to make her forget the fans throwing themselves at her. And she didn't need to change anything.

Saylor leaned forward and pressed her lips to Blake's. Recognizable heat seeped through her veins, demanding she do more than just kiss Blake in thanks for being the first woman to adore her that way in a long time.

"Why are you so perfect?" Saylor mumbled against her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to ber1110, tru-love5, paramore_fan07, choliecole, SpencerG, TimeBomb21, appley92, xoxoChristina, Her_princess_love, Bree10, Ashleyy_J3, and Carson Samone for the comments.
Thank you to Only a day away... for the message.
Thank you to the new subscribers.
And thank you for the recs.
I don't think I have anything of relevance to say about this story today...
Actually, I think I did but I can't remember what it was.
Meh, if it was that important, I probably would have remembered.
Sage seems like a jerk in this one.
But she kind of comes off as a jerk in a lot of these.
But she's really not a jerk.
You'll see, promise.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
Peace from Cali,
Dakota Ray